Author Topic: The General Chatter Thread.  (Read 964430 times)

Offline RpJk

• ♫Time has come to listen to the crying of their puppet souls♫
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -1
  • Done and done.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The General Chatter Thread.
« Reply #47300 on: March 07, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »
Time for my bit-monthly post.

Just posting to show that I'm still breathing.
Old Stock Showcase: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=6590.0

I've moved to other forums. Under a different name. This is where it all began.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47301 on: March 07, 2016, 01:28:28 PM »

sup
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #47302 on: March 07, 2016, 01:32:51 PM »

Dude, If your gonna make a monthly comeback on the dot without being late, post some bots. If you are busy then just say so so you have an actual reason for not posting.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47303 on: March 18, 2016, 10:59:21 PM »
"My greatest dream is a world without Jews."  -Taylor Swift, 2014
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47304 on: March 19, 2016, 10:00:55 AM »
Let me tell you about the trainwreck that is my Computing project

So half my A2 grade is coursework, and we need to make a program for a client. Cool. Except in the first year we get taught the basics on python (nothing more complex than like how to define functions and how to use loops etc). This project needs to be "sufficiently complex". The least complex idea I came up with that would pass is a ticketing system for my school's IT department.

So I'm fairly confident in python (thank god I self-taught myself a decent amount, anyone going into A level computing blind is totally ****ed), but I'm making the interface in VB, since tkinter is ****ing terrible for making interfaces in python. This is where the trouble starts.

I need to pass ticket information between computers and between programs made in different languages. Since I'm more confident in python, I'm making as much of the backend as I can in python, so all the stuff interfacing with the database is in Python. However I don't know how to do networking at all and the last time I touched VB was like 5 or 6 years ago and I never did any proper coding, only very basic dicking around with the form builder.

So my sh** solution for communication is to put ALL the data I need in .txt files and just send them between the computers that need them (which I still haven't figured out how to do). This is fine for a ticket, which just needs 7 pieces of data separated by commas, and it can be all put in 1 file and sent across. Ticket editing is a bit more difficult but not particularly troublesome. But now I need to find a way of bringing up a list of all the tickets a user has in the database.

So this is where sh** really hits the fan. I'm gonna need to get VB to send python the username in a .txt file, python to get all of the tickets make by that person, put each ticket in a separate .txt file, send all the .txts back to VB with another file saying how many tickets there are, and for VB to put all those tickets in a nice table or something so that when a ticket is clicked a form pops up with all that ticket's information. If someone has 50 tickets in the database, I'm gonna have to send over 51 separate .txt files, and just pray that they all get to the target in time. And I have to get this sorted this weekend and do ALL the testing (click every possible button and input every possible type of data into every possible data entry field and document it all with screenshots) by tuesday.

Gonna be fun.

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47305 on: March 19, 2016, 11:05:45 PM »
so python is like computer stuff right
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47306 on: March 19, 2016, 11:32:47 PM »

So half my A2 grade is coursework, and we need to make a program for a client. Cool. Except in the first year we get taught the basics on python (nothing more complex than like how to define functions and how to use loops etc). This project needs to be "sufficiently complex". The least complex idea I came up with that would pass is a ticketing system for my school's IT department.

So I'm fairly confident in python (thank god I self-taught myself a decent amount, anyone going into A level computing blind is totally ****ed), but I'm making the interface in VB, since tkinter is ****ing terrible for making interfaces in python. This is where the trouble starts.

I need to pass ticket information between computers and between programs made in different languages. Since I'm more confident in python, I'm making as much of the backend as I can in python, so all the stuff interfacing with the database is in Python. However I don't know how to do networking at all and the last time I touched VB was like 5 or 6 years ago and I never did any proper coding, only very basic dicking around with the form builder.

So my sh** solution for communication is to put ALL the data I need in .txt files and just send them between the computers that need them (which I still haven't figured out how to do). This is fine for a ticket, which just needs 7 pieces of data separated by commas, and it can be all put in 1 file and sent across. Ticket editing is a bit more difficult but not particularly troublesome. But now I need to find a way of bringing up a list of all the tickets a user has in the database.

So this is where sh** really hits the fan. I'm gonna need to get VB to send python the username in a .txt file, python to get all of the tickets make by that person, put each ticket in a separate .txt file, send all the .txts back to VB with another file saying how many tickets there are, and for VB to put all those tickets in a nice table or something so that when a ticket is clicked a form pops up with all that ticket's information. If someone has 50 tickets in the database, I'm gonna have to send over 51 separate .txt files, and just pray that they all get to the target in time. And I have to get this sorted this weekend and do ALL the testing (click every possible button and input every possible type of data into every possible data entry field and document it all with screenshots) by tuesday.

Gonna be fun.

Literally NOBODY cares

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47307 on: March 20, 2016, 01:18:55 AM »

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #47308 on: March 20, 2016, 06:24:56 AM »

Gonna be fun.

Literally NOBODY cares

I care! I hope all goes well, Badger.

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47309 on: March 29, 2016, 09:22:50 PM »

well why the **** not

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47310 on: March 29, 2016, 09:31:24 PM »
too much fanmail is hard for the server to handle
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47311 on: March 29, 2016, 10:05:42 PM »
i can't even send my own brother a pm

this is bullsh**

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47312 on: March 30, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »
holy sh**...can't believe i managed to remember this place

last time i posted was exactly two years ago when i was 17 and finishing high school. now i'm 19 and in my second year at uni

still remember doing this for the 10th anniversary: https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13124.0

so how much has activity suffered since the first half of 2014? who are the active posters nowadays? do people still build stock/host stock tournaments? and if that's the case (otherwise i might give dsl a try), what are all these fancy building glitches people have discovered? wtf is ironforge? is ra3 for real? i remember acams retiring, everyone being obsessed with mlp, infiniteinertia returning from the grave, geice being a god (has he moved on to conquer dsl?), entering around the world 2

i've basically been studying, playing LoL (ended silver v last season), replaying undertale over and over, watching steven universe, and binging how to get away with murder. abandoned mlp at the end of s2 so idk where that crap has headed either

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47313 on: March 30, 2016, 04:16:50 PM »
Mlp season 6 just started. Get in on that.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47314 on: March 30, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »
Mlp season 6 just started. Get in on that.

im pretty hyped tbh

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47315 on: March 30, 2016, 04:39:47 PM »
Hi.

RA3 is very real. DSL 3 DSL 2.2 (basically dsl 3) also got released after almost a decade. Ironforge is basically a lot more balanced DSL without any filler. Stock isn't too active compared to DSL/Ironforge, but a new glitch was discovered sometime last year by 090901 and I called Advanced Stacking or ASAS which basically breaks the game even more. Robot Wars RA2 Mod (actual name) was also released. It's a replica pack with some extra custom components thrown into it, pretty cool.

Activity-wise the place is just business as usual. Old guys leave, new guys come in. Old members occasionally come back in. You know how the saying goes, you're here forever. MLP fad mostly died down after S2 (which is coincidentally when I decided to get off the MLP meme train). Inf shows up from time to time, says "I'm gonna release a new version of inf AI you guys, just you wait!" and never does. Geice is actually still around. He showcases sometimes. He's hosting a tourney right now over in the tournament section.

I was actually wondering where you went. You just kind of left without any notice. I suppose that was better than making a drama-filled "I'M LEAVING GOODBYE FOREVER" thread like TeamXtreemer did, though.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:55:14 PM by Mr. AS »
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #47316 on: March 30, 2016, 05:42:18 PM »
Yo. I'm one of those new people.

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47317 on: March 30, 2016, 05:44:21 PM »
so which version would i pick up if i actually want to be able to compare to what everyone else is showcasing? and did ironforge just come out?

the cauldron looks hype, that's actually awesome that a stock tournament just started! will definitely bring back memories from the old days.

i'm actually not sure why i left, just got bored and forgot about it all i guess. none of it was planned even with me starting uni. even if i did make the conscious decision, i don't think i felt close enough with the community enough to warrant a long goodbye letter. i'll have to see how interested i am this time and decide whether or not to stick around

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47318 on: March 30, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »
so which version would i pick up if i actually want to be able to compare to what everyone else is showcasing? and did ironforge just come out?

the cauldron looks hype, that's actually awesome that a stock tournament just started! will definitely bring back memories from the old days.

i'm actually not sure why i left, just got bored and forgot about it all i guess. none of it was planned even with me starting uni. even if i did make the conscious decision, i don't think i felt close enough with the community enough to warrant a long goodbye letter. i'll have to see how interested i am this time and decide whether or not to stick around
Ironforge has been out a short while, long enough that a meta has been formed.

Try both DSL2.2 and Ironforge, see which you prefer. Both are getting a decent amount of activity.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47319 on: March 30, 2016, 06:01:56 PM »
Ironforge has been out a short while, long enough that a meta has been formed.
Really? What is it?