Author Topic: How is such a thing possible?  (Read 7453 times)

Offline Madiaba

How is such a thing possible?
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2009, 07:19:31 PM »
Code: [Select]
                if (abs(h) < 0.3 ):
                    self.Turn(0)
                    self.Throttle(100)
                    self.DebugString(8, &quot;Boost&quot;)
                 if (abs(h) > 2.8 ):
                    self.Turn(0)
                    self.Throttle(-100)
                    self.DebugString(8, &quot;Anti-Boost&quot;)
Couple thoughts:
1. Would be nice to move the abs. heading range (0.6 in this case) over into the Bindings line, and make it tweekable, for different apps/bots..
2. Should this 'radian parameter' be moved from 'center' (0 and 3.14) to start a bit sooner for perhaps straighter driving?
3. Navigation: Moving this parameter's 'center' might be a good way of 'steering while spinning'...left or right; to both avoiding detected hazards, walls and such, and possibly facilitate better steering toward enemy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:54:18 PM by Madiaba »
Input is appreciated. :)
-Arrogance is a quantity devoid of quality...
-As a client once told me "This is my story, and it's sticking to me!"
-Relationships these days are like the 'Arrival' section of the airport: a lot of baggage is being revealed in one place, and not a lot of it is being correlated to its real owners...

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2009, 07:43:59 PM »
Although it might be easier to adapt Click's original idea so that it can move around hazards, if the AI wants to turn right but the bot is still spinning left, wouldn't it just slow down before going back to spinning.

Wouldn't it be better if you made regulated the RPM of motors so that the motors going in the right direction are going faster than the motors going in the wrong direction?  Then to avoid hazards, you could adapt the DriveToWaypoints coding (like you suggested earlier). You could also program it to inch toward the opponent slower as the distance between the bots lessens so that it hits them with more force (Ex. while at 5 units away, the left side is moving at 80 while the right side is moving at 100 vs. while at 3 units away, the left side is moving at 90 while the right side is moving at 100). The force driving the bot forward would be less but the force spinning the bot would be more. Then it would still move toward the opponent, have roughly the same amount of force as if it wasn't, and get slightly more solid hits in (instead of scratches) because it is still inching closer. You could also tell it to check for hits using self.GetLastDamageDone() and if the opponent isn't recieving enough damage move closer or spin more depending on something user defined (Time between hits? Amount of damage?).

Another idea would be to make the AI hit the opponent with a certain weapon arm depending on the HP and speed of both bots toward eachother but thats probably pushing fairness.

Online apanx

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 12:13:44 PM »
Om my, lots of thought to consider.

Well, one thing with this kind of bots is that some usual conventions that apply for normal bots are not appliable. Mobility for a normal bot consists of moving backwards, forwards and turning. For this kind of FBS, that does not apply. It does not move 'Forward' or Backward' as it is constantly spinning, changing what Forward and Backward is in relation to it.

A FBS can change the direction it is heading virtually instant. It does not need to slow down in order to change heading.
If you want a normal bot to change its course by 90degrees, because there is a hole up ahead, it would have to slow down, turn and then speed up. A FBS would just change its direction, keeping the same speed.
If someone have played this game Flying Saucer, a FBS' movment control would be like the control of the saucer. You point where you want to go and how fast and it instantly goes in that direction.

The modding of DriveToLocation(actually DriveToWaypoint) would consist of removing the AimToHeading command and adapting the speed control part for use with the FBS.

Flexible stuff is always good. The accuracy will be adjustable in the release version of this code. This is merely a proof-of-concept hack thrown together in order to produce the video. All that is needed for the bot to move "smartly"
give it the locations it should move to and plug them into GetHeadingTo, returning the current heading to that navigational code.

A future development for this code is to detach itself from the Turn and Forward controllers and instead control each side seperately. In this way there can be more than one axis of symmetry for FBS, and three-wheeled FBS would be possible.

However, I now use another code for spinmotor control, giving the FBS higher translational capability.

Yet another Video

It is the same bot as before, but with this control scheme, it can move much faster.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:56:40 PM by apanx »

Offline philetbabe

• Rep: 2
  • Drop D
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2009, 12:42:42 PM »
i've did not see a link to download the AI, may you share it please ?

btw your insanity arena is craaazyy !

Offline roboman2444

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Linux, Nexuiz, Quake, and Darkplaces lover.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/teamrckm
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »
i know this is a bump but i would like the ai and here is another how is this possible fbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ofJthTt7mY&feature=channel_page
work that one out
plz post a link to the ai
Real life robotics team www.teamrckm.tk
Real life game studio www.v2games.tk

Offline man manu

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 03:44:25 PM »
It has wheels and a spin motor?
Son of a fat bold guy!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://roundy99.mybrute.com

Offline roboman2444

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
no for the ai, i would also like the 2wd ai

Online apanx

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2009, 04:11:12 AM »
Quote from: roboman2444;65009
i know this is a bump but i would like the ai and here is another how is this possible fbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ofJthTt7mY&feature=channel_page
work that one out
plz post a link to the ai

You mean sometihng like this?

FBS AI attached to this post, enjoy.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2009, 04:44:17 AM »
Just figured how that AI works, and it is very nice. The bot sit-and-spins much slower however, but i suppose it can't be helped...

I'll try to tweak my bindings more to increase spinup speed, like using 'spinspeed'... i think it will decrease translation speed, but i think it's worth it.

What is 'accuracy' exactly ?

Online apanx

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2009, 10:48:24 AM »
Code: [Select]
turnFactor = ((h - self.accuracy) * (h - (math.pi - self.accuracy) ) / self.rampupfactor)

Is not that obvious ;)

It is the window in radians where the bot moves forward or backwards. So if you have higher value the bot will be less accurate when tracking the enemy. Lower value vill make more likely for the bot to face the enemy before moving forward or backward, making it more accurate.

Offline roboman2444

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2009, 02:07:13 PM »
Quote from: apanx;66398
You mean sometihng like this?

FBS AI attached to this post, enjoy.
yay thanks!
i have been looking for that ai for months!(ive tried to make it but with no success.)
edit:so what do u put as the bindings and the controls?