Author Topic: Red's Ironforge of innovative and pointless nonsense  (Read 6448 times)

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Red's terrible robot showcase
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2015, 12:42:45 PM »
WHY IS EVERYONE OBSESSED WITH MAKING BOTS INVERTIBLE? I mean, it just makes it more difficult to drive, as it flips the controls.

When driven by an AI (like in a tournament or whatever), it can drive just as easily either way up.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2015, 01:35:58 PM »
also so you are not useless when inverted.

"it makes it more difficult to drive" is just a lazy excuse i'm afraid.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2015, 03:07:58 PM »
Wait, wait wait. So, Craaig, are you saying that he is worse than me?

Also, I have begun work on the robot that can invert and has this grinder/spiker design. (probably not the correct technical terms but nyeeh)

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2015, 03:10:19 PM »
Hey I said nothing comparing you 2, don't put words in my mouth :P I haven't looked at his building enough and you haven't shown us enough for me to really judge that one I guess?
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2015, 05:16:59 AM »
No, Avalanche is just rude or posts edgily sometimes.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2015, 10:06:51 AM »
, and the design seems like the hybrid has no synergy. If you did this, Id say have ninja stars and grind down the opponents and have them rotate towards your bot while another weapon attacks it further.
can you explain what you mean by this in English, please?

Also, I have just a "flat red skin", as I don't really know how to change the skin of a bot. :(

Lastly,

makes me want to commit suicide via Judas Cradle.

(Image removed from quote.)

If you had stated you didn't know how to skin then I would have told you how. Just was outright ugly. Another way of skinning is going into the paint part of the bot lab and fiddling about to see what you like.

Also, I was trying to state that there is not a real point to having the spinners on snappers. Just doesn't seem necessary and it doesn't work well. Why have them on there when in fact it just means they are out the way, doing less damage most the time and the extenders can and will be torn off if hit.

Here is a example of innovation, like you have done with this weapon design.
A ordinary spinner is like a boat made out of wood.
A good spinner hybrid innovation would have the spinners bring bots closer to the bot and have a extra weapon, such as a axe or hammer attack the top also. That is like a boat made out of Steel.
And then your innovative design is like a boat made out of Bread. Yes, its innovative but the innovation does not actually improve the boat because it will get soggy and break apart and be useless.

Put the weight you gain by not messing on with special snapper gear to use by adding more weapons.

And finally, this one is for craaig.

5 years of no improvement what so ever? I don't think so.

And yes, when it comes to new showcases I become Edge Snowflake, destroyer of hopes and dreams. Or just a d*ck. Your call.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2015, 10:20:08 AM »
Dude calm down. I never said you hadn't improved. I mean yeah, that's a lot better, but of course you could still improve it.
All I was doing was being as harsh to you as you were to him. Hell, I think I was nicer to you :P
Politeness, yo.
//

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »
No, Avalanche is just rude or posts edgily sometimes.
I think he just gets a pleasure out of whacking people he thinks are inferior to him.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2015, 02:28:16 PM »
And yes, when it comes to new showcases I become Edge Snowflake, destroyer of hopes and dreams.

Anyway, I still don't get what you mean, by "pulls bot closer", however I'm trying to work on a design based on what ecolusian interpreted your answer to be. You'll see it soon.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2015, 12:58:35 PM »
Hey, everyone!
Today I am treating you to two different bots! Both of these bots may seem familiar to you, as I used them in the challenges against Thrackerzod and Ecolusian, respectively ( of which I lost both :( )

As the splash notes, this is the first iteration of my signature bot, the flaming memorial! It uses steel armour.

And this is the, frankly, pretty sh**, bot called the burning horizon, this is loosely based off of the flaming memorial, and has titanium armour.

[moverightfast]Thoughts? Tips? [/moverightfast]

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2015, 01:09:17 PM »
For the 2nd bot, you have a TON of empty space. try shrinking the chassis so you can barely fit all your components in. Otherwise, I'm not too familiar with ironforge, so I can't comment on your weapon/motor choices.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2015, 01:23:37 PM »
Yeah not even gonna talk about the first one seem as though it's so unrealistic.
The second one could use a lot of chassis shrinking and probably a switch to lighter wheels rather than tracks.
Also why are the weapon motors on extenders? you could save a lot of weight just by putting them on the anchors.
Really not enough weaponry for a middleweight, I'll be honest with you. Shrink the chassis and concentrate on 1 weapon system rather than going for weird hybrids with meh synergy.
//

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2015, 01:55:07 PM »
Yeah not even gonna talk about the first one seem as though it's so unrealistic.

That's because I was building to an ironforge unrealistic build style. I didn't stack anything, so the bot is perfectly legal.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2015, 01:59:16 PM »
Yes, I know.
And I don't build unrealistically so I'm not gonna give advice on stuff I'm less informed about, despite seeing things which I think would be very beneficial.
Also hardly anyone has built IF Unrealistic.
//

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2015, 07:13:03 PM »
long reier adviceā„¢ ahead
Build what you want but basically noone builds unrealistic in ironforge so you won't have anyone to fight against fairly. The main thing that makes it unrealistic is the snapper blades passing through he wheels and motors, as well as the spinners on the front going through each other. In the standard ruleset this wouldn't be allowed, so like in tournaments and stuff.

As for the design itself its ok i guess, it seems a bit messy though with all the different types of weapons. I'm sure simplifying the frontal weapons and ditching the back ones will improve it. If you want to keep a similar design to this with small grindy spinners I might try rebuilding the chassis and making a sort of trapping setup with plows on the sides and wedges or something. You might want to try making an HS with just 1 motor and strong weapons, take a look at the HW-Undercutter bot in the AI ironforge comes with. The flamethrowers do not help you here and they just keep things from hitting your spinners.
Also to save weight I'd highly recommend 2WD. wheels weigh a lot, I'd go for maybe firebird drive if I were you. It's plenty fast for this kind of design. 4 RC motors are not very strong and the setup I explained is faster and lighter. Also if you ditch the snappers and go 2d you only need 2 carbatts which will also save you a lot of weight for more weapons and armor.

on the second one I think your weapons can be improved quite a bit, they kind of work against each other as-is. The range of your hammer is short of your zteks, so basically to use it you will have to somehow get your oppenent on top of your weapon motors which is difficult and you risk losing your weapons quickly. Not to mention if they're on top of your zteks then your spinners can't even hit them. What you want to try for is widen your spinners a lot (like put them farther apart) and make it so your hammer reaches much farther than your spinners. see how the hammers in this robot are super long, angled, and light. You also want a piercing type weapon for a hammer instead of a sledge unless your hammer arm is reaaaaally long. Like I said on the other one if possible try to make this a more trapping-type setup with some armor wings on the side to guide things toward the spinners and you honestly need wedges on hammer bots.

Honestly its nice to minimize empty space like people said but guys it's really not as big of a deal in ironforge because the chassis armor is so much stronger than in stock/dsl. External armor was mandatory in dsl because the armors sucked but its not as dangerous here to have an exposed chassis, especially if its sloped.
For both of them it'd really help us if instead of you saying "steel armor" you'd say if it's steel 3 or 5 or whatever. Theres a lot of variance between the 4 thicknesses of each armor.

you probably want to download some cool custom textures to avoid having to paint your robot solid red also  ;)
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2015, 07:13:31 AM »
first is a horrible mess of components. please clean that up. oh and the weapons don't work together.

second is much less messier but a sawbot/hammer like that... what are you doing ? the weapons don't work together at all.

not that i disapprove of hybrids but when you just add weapons without thinking how they work together, it's not worth it building hybrids.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2016, 07:33:54 AM »
A'ight, I know it's been forever, but I'm finally here with a bot that's.... kind of competent

I'll apologise for the abysmal splash quality, 'cause I thrown it together in 5 minutes :P

I've been working on this bot for a while, and it incorporates a cheeky strategy to keep it in DSL-S. Essentially, what happens, is that as the blades get shot forwards by the piston, the burst motor attached to the shield covering most of the front of the bot raises upwards and out of the way. I also added the hammer on the back to allow the bot to protect it's behind, as well :P

Anyway, any refinement tips?

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 6
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Red's Ironforge of innovative and pointless nonsense
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2016, 07:59:11 AM »
Uh... what's the point of the box on the front? The back hammer is pretty pointless since it's rarely going to actually hit anything. You should probably put the weight down to a middleweight as well instead of an anorexic heavyweight

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2016, 08:25:23 AM »
Uh... what's the point of the box on the front? The back hammer is pretty pointless since it's rarely going to actually hit anything. You should probably put the weight down to a middleweight as well instead of an anorexic heavyweight

The point of the "box on the front", as I have said before, is that it is a shield for the main weapon, and for a good portion of the bot, and this raises as the weapons come forward to keep it at a DSL-S standard. And, actually, the hammer did work quite well against some reforged bots I was fighting against. I know that I need to add some weight, though.

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2016, 09:02:00 AM »
It actually would still be DSL-Standard if it poked through the shield.  The reason for this is that, reasonably, you could cut out a small hole in the shield for the spikes to go through, and therefore doing so would not horribly violate physics.

Also, you don't need back-facing weaponry.  It might seems useful when you drive the bot, but any AI driving the bot will never use it.