Author Topic: Game keeps crashing  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Stroopwafel

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Game keeps crashing
« on: March 24, 2014, 02:10:19 PM »
I downloaded the game from here, just the standard version but when I try to do practically anything that may involve some loading the game crashes and microsoft makes my close it. So when I change teams, when I go from the testing back to the building, when I go to the main menu, practically anything. There is no mods installed at all however I fear it has something to do with windows 8 being the most hateful piece of technology I have ever come across. (Don't laugh, it was a present).

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Game keeps crashing
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:52:07 PM »
Without going into the pros and cons of Windows 8 as an OS, I'll just say that RA2 is still supported by it.

Are you getting "not responding" messages? Unfortunately, RA2 predates this feature so the its programmers didn't think to add code that let the OS know that it didn't freeze. As a result, many of of these messages go away if you wait a little longer.

Offline Stroopwafel

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 02:02:16 AM »
Without going into the pros and cons of Windows 8 as an OS, I'll just say that RA2 is still supported by it.

Are you getting "not responding" messages? Unfortunately, RA2 predates this feature so the its programmers didn't think to add code that let the OS know that it didn't freeze. As a result, many of of these messages go away if you wait a little longer.

It says "Robot Arena 2.exe has stopped working" and then if I click the box the game will close. How long exactly do I need to wait for?

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 02:53:28 AM »
Okay, "stopped working" is different than "stopped responding."

Have you tried running it on the desktop?

Offline Stroopwafel

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:03:09 AM »
Yeah that's where I've been running it from.

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 06:33:16 PM »
Try editing the ra2.cfg file in the main RA2 folder. Use notepad. Change fullscreen = 1 to fullscreen = 0. That's fixed it for a lot of people.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline BurningWreck

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 02:22:13 AM »
Another tip: I had problems until I ran the game in "Compatibility Mode" for XP.  I'm using Windows 7 and just rediscovered this game forum.  I didn't know people were still playing it!

I downloaded the standard version from the link on this site.  It crashed a lot until I used Compatibility Mode.  To do this in Windows 7:

- Go into the install folder and find the game exe, Robot Arena 2.exe
- Right-click on it and pick "Properties"
- Pick the Compatibility tab
- Check the box for "Run this in compatibility mode for:" and pick Windows XP (Service Pack 3), then click the Apply button and the OK button.

Now try running it again - this may clear up the problems you were having.