Author Topic: Game crashes in windowed mode  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Game crashes in windowed mode
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:44:49 AM »
I like to keep my game in windowed mode, because in fullscreen, it stretches a lot on my monitor.  However, when I'm in certain selection menus, the game will crash if I linger too long.  If I want to import a robot, I have to do it lightning fast to dodge the crash.  Here's a full list of selection menus that cause my game to crash:

Import and Export Bot
Import and Export Texture
Choosing robots for an exhibition battle

Also, I had to set the ra2.cfg to read-only mode because it kept defaulting to high quality and MAXIMUM VOLUME (I deleted the THQ-esque opening sound so that I could stop getting heart attacks every time that happened.)  Don't know if that's relevant, but if it helps, then great.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Game crashes in windowed mode
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »
Have you tried using a lower resolution on fullscreen, like 640 x 480?

Also, I had to set the ra2.cfg to read-only mode because it kept defaulting to high quality and MAXIMUM VOLUME (I deleted the THQ-esque opening sound so that I could stop getting heart attacks every time that happened.)  Don't know if that's relevant, but if it helps, then great.
Pretty sure setting it to read-only would cause exactly what you just said.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:08:22 AM »
I get this all the time. Thought it was just RA2 being RA2.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline ty4er

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »
i also get this problem, but changing size/quality doesn't seem to do anything unless it's in fullscreen
DSL Showcase
is this bot don't lost all razors in a fight before do a damage thought

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 08:21:04 AM »
I had this problem as well, mainly the Import Bot one. How many bots do you have in your Robots Designs folder? I had way too many at one point and kept crashing and running slow when I try to scroll downwards. I'm not sure if that means anything though.

• Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 06:24:49 PM »
I had this problem as well, mainly the Import Bot one. How many bots do you have in your Robots Designs folder? I had way too many at one point and kept crashing and running slow when I try to scroll downwards. I'm not sure if that means anything though.
Lots, but I only have 20-odd skins and the custom texture thing crashes too.

I really don't want to do fullscreen, because it comes with a wide variety of problems, such as orbit cam being slow as molasses, screenshots coming out as black, and extreme stretching.

Have you tried using a lower resolution on fullscreen, like 640 x 480?

Pretty sure setting it to read-only would cause exactly what you just said.
I just tried that.  No luck, sadly.

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure its a small compatibility issue that started with either Windows Vista or 7. I'm not aware of any workaround to get it to stop crashing but I'd be interested in hearing if someone else has one. I generally try to move quickly when I'm in menus to avoid it.

Offline SKBT

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 07:28:49 PM »
what kind of graphics card are you guys running? i have this problem on when i run the game on my quadro k1000 but when i run it on intel integrated, crashing is less frequent.

Offline Domanating

• It's Personal
    • Domanating2008
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 08:21:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure its a small compatibility issue that started with either Windows Vista or 7. I'm not aware of any workaround to get it to stop crashing but I'd be interested in hearing if someone else has one. I generally try to move quickly when I'm in menus to avoid it.

I doubt it has to do with Vista or 7 because I run a XP and crashes are frequent.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 02:35:31 AM »
i'm having these kind of issues (or a similar one) for importing bots as well, on windows 8. it moves the window a tiny little bit when I import a bot and when i import 3 in a row the game freezes.

I am honestly thinking this game corrupts itself with time, I would refresh your folder with a new .rar if I were you.

Offline Domanating

• It's Personal
    • Domanating2008
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 05:17:23 AM »
I pause the game before importing or exporting any bot. So far it worked without any crashes

• Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 08:19:05 PM »
i'm having these kind of issues (or a similar one) for importing bots as well, on windows 8. it moves the window a tiny little bit when I import a bot and when i import 3 in a row the game freezes.

I am honestly thinking this game corrupts itself with time, I would refresh your folder with a new .rar if I were you.

You mean start from a clean copy and paste in a minimal amount of old files?