Author Topic: Arena question  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Arena question
« on: February 08, 2011, 02:38:57 PM »
I'm not totally sure what forum this goes in, so I put it here.

Is there any way to make RA2 Arenas simply, using only free programs?

Thanks for the help, in advance.

(I don't need anything fancy, such as spike, moving parts or anything damaging at all.)
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Stagfish

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Arena question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »
You can skin an arena, its fairly simple too.

Offline G.K.

• Rep: 10
  • Striving for a good personal text since 1994.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 04:46:08 PM »
What are you looking to make?
My above post explains everything about everything.

Host of: Wheely Tag, Back To The Beginnings, BTTB 2, BTTB 3, BTTB 4, & BTTB V.

Heavy Metal: Champion (Mockery of the Whole Concept)
Robotic International Wars Series 1: Champion (Minifridge 6)
RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Clash Cubes IV: 5th place (Fretless)
BBEANS 6: Rumble Winner & 6th Place (Minifridge 4)

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -20
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
Notepad + Python.

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 05:40:02 PM »
Your best bet is to use a text editor to create your arena. The only other way to make an arena is by using 3DS Max with a special plugin (much harder than it looks). Having 3DS Max still requires some knowledge of the GMF file (so you would still need to know how to text edit).

There are three basic pieces for every arena:
1. GMF - The tutorial found here covers the basics (everything except for the attachment points are the same for Arenas). The GMF deals with all the objects found within the game (I.E. the floor, walls, ceiling, hazards, zones). It also has the capability to add hinges (doesn't control the movement).
2. Python File - These take the place of the TXT files used for components. There is so much that you can do using python alone but for now, you may want to just change the name line and GMF location line. The python file is generally used for all the special features (I.E. movement of hinges, prismatics, visuals effects, cameras, and much much more).
3. Graphics - RA2 supports TGAs and BMPs as long as they are saved in 24 bit with RGB color and no RLE compression. You can find numberous tutorials online. Modding these is known as skinning but if you plan to release anything be sure to remove any dependencies (by changing the name of every file (requires a bit of python and GMF work))

If you post your arena idea here, we can point you in the right direction and help you if you get stuck. Otherwise, I could show you via PM/IM.

Offline Serge

• Rep: 13
    • View Profile
    • http://www.q3k.org/
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:22:23 PM »
Notepad + Python.

You are mixing two concepts. Editors and languages. The correct version would be either:

"Notepad"
or
"GMF + Python"

Get your facts straight, don't be a smartass.

To OP: Make arenas from scratch? Only if you are hardcore and/or Chuck Norris. Skin arenas? Easily. Edit arena logic? Easily, provided you have a basic understanding of the Python scripting language. Edit geometry? Sure, grab a GMF decompiler, mess around in the decompiled file, recompile.
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »
Notepad + Python.

You are mixing two concepts. Editors and languages. The correct version would be either:

"Notepad"
or
"GMF + Python"

Get your facts straight, don't be a smartass.

To OP: Make arenas from scratch? Only if you are hardcore and/or Chuck Norris. Skin arenas? Easily. Edit arena logic? Easily, provided you have a basic understanding of the Python scripting language. Edit geometry? Sure, grab a GMF decompiler, mess around in the decompiled file, recompile.
I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, just sharing what knowledge I do know. I've seen maps made in notepad and scripted in Python.

Offline Madiaba

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 10:04:57 PM »
Nice to see people still interested in creating arenas.

It's always better to listen both more and before talking, S-878.  That's how Serge and Trov (and all others) have earned their Titles. Both of these guys are good didactic sources, if you'll ask.
Input is appreciated. :)
-Arrogance is a quantity devoid of quality...
-As a client once told me "This is my story, and it's sticking to me!"
-Relationships these days are like the 'Arrival' section of the airport: a lot of baggage is being revealed in one place, and not a lot of it is being correlated to its real owners...

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 10:10:27 PM »
Ok, Sorry I said anything.

>I should ask first.<
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:12:08 PM by Madiaba »