Author Topic: Fighting Robots (Trying to make a robotic game)  (Read 5955 times)

Offline Ben Purse

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • No Edgy Quotes Here...
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Fighting Robots (Trying to make a robotic game)
« on: May 22, 2011, 02:35:45 AM »
After playing BotApp for a while. I Decided to make a robotic game using the same programs Botapp does. I have Milkshape and Bullet physics but im stuck. What do the things inside the bullet folder and what should I do first? The Bots and graphics or the physics?

Offline Vertigo

• Rep: 5
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fighting Robots (Trying to make a robotic game)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 02:50:25 AM »
Quote from:  Vertigo in Garvin's thread
Don't start saying what the modders have been making isn't good enough.
Joe has been making Backlash for ages, put loads of work into it, and by the looks of things, when it comes out it will be a fantastic new mod of RA2 to play, the same goes for Click and DSL3
We are limited yes, but the boundaries are being pushed to the max, and what is being produced is big step forward

There are only a few people we've got that can do this sort of stuff (completely not including me, so I don't have the foggiest why you put me in your original post), and with the greatest respect, you are quite new here. We can't do anything with the other game (the botapp one), as the source code has unfortunately been lost, all we will ever have is the demo. So you're implying that the select few that could possibly do it, make a whole new robot combat game from scratch, do you have any idea how much work that would be?

What I am trying to say is, give the modders some respect for what they are doing. You have said "we have all been making mods of RA2", "we should mod it", "we could ignite the spark". We? No, "we" can't, and again with the greatest respect, I'm quite sure that you couldn't help at all like the majority of us. This could be done, yes, but for the select few who could do this (JoeBlo, Click, Serge, Madiaba etc.) it would be a VERY difficult and a VERY long task to achieve. Just appreciate what they are doing at the moment.

If Serge was posting this, and had already made good progress with the "new game" on whatever physics engine he was using, then maybe yes, there would be motivation for all those people to get together and make an improved robotic combat game. But for people to start making a WHOLE new robotic combat game at the drop of the hat isn't going to happen.

Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh, I just wanted to fully explain the position that RA2 is in, I highly doubt a new game will be made

Offline Resetti's Replicas

• Rep: 18
  • Replica King
    • ResettisReplicas
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 03:03:38 AM »
Come on now, that's not fair.  Sure Ben doesn't have the modding experience that the bigger names do, but he's at least putting forth an effort, unlike the people who actually deserved to hear that.

Offline Vertigo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 03:08:35 AM »
Sure this situation may not be exactly the same, but what I'm trying to show is making a big new RC game isn't going to happen
Its great for someone to try, but maybe it would be just better to start with trying to RA2 instead

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -20
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 03:21:46 AM »
I put forward effort, no one gave a sh**.

Offline Skiitzzox220

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • ⊂(✰‿✰)つ
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 03:48:14 AM »
Well you need the skills to back up the effort and let's face it, what skill do you have?
When life give you lemons- Wait I don't like lemons...

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 04:02:42 AM »
Honestly, who the heck are you?

EDIT: okay, just another newfag trying to fit in with oldfags by taking on a noobfag.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 04:11:24 AM »

Cause for the most part, you didn't even finished the incredibly numerous projects you wanted to start.

EDIT: okay, just another newfag trying to fit in with oldfags by taking on a noobfag.

You may be right.... excepted that what you described is pretty much what you're doing right now, excepted for the newfag part.

Well you need the skills to back up the effort and let's face it, what skill do you have?

What do you know about him exactly ? You're new, you probably didn't lurked enough to know Sparkey's complete story.

Now enough of starting flames. I don't think BP will ever bother doing that completely and he's probably trolling/bored/having an exciting new "idea" that he will forget about in a while, but this is no thread for pointless aggression and conflict.

Offline Skiitzzox220

• Heavyweight
  • ⊂(✰‿✰)つ
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 04:32:08 AM »

Cause for the most part, you didn't even finished the incredibly numerous projects you wanted to start.

You may be right.... excepted that what you described is pretty much what you're doing right now, excepted for the newfag part.

What do you know about him exactly ? You're new, you probably didn't lurked enough to know Sparkey's complete story.

Now enough of starting flames. I don't think BP will ever bother doing that completely and he's probably trolling/bored/having an exciting new "idea" that he will forget about in a while, but this is no thread for pointless aggression and conflict.

I've lurked long enough to know about Sparkey's story

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 05:07:46 AM »

Tell it to me. from the time I joined to today. It better be at least three pages.

Offline Skiitzzox220

• Heavyweight
  • ⊂(✰‿✰)つ
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:01:24 AM »

Tell it to me. from the time I joined to today. It better be at least three pages.
You expect me to write your whole story? No thanks I've got better things to do

Offline freeziez

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • He's Mr. White Christmas, he's Mr. Snow...
    • youtube.com/freeziezGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 08:19:54 AM »
Okay guys, call me an a**hole, but I wanna give Ben a chance.

After playing BotApp for a while. I Decided to make a robotic game using the same programs Botapp does. I have Milkshape and Bullet physics but im stuck. What do the things inside the bullet folder and what should I do first? The Bots and graphics or the physics?

I'm gonna guess the physics, but I'm not an expert.
obligatory battlebots 5 comment

GTM Awards 2011

Best Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)
Best New Tournament Host: freeziez
Most Suprising Tournament: B4ttlebots (freeziez)

Offline Skiitzzox220

• Heavyweight
  • ⊂(✰‿✰)つ
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 09:16:19 AM »
I'm pretty sure that Bullet's just an addon, get the latest edition of Blender as it has Bullet pre-loaded into it

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »
Maybe team up with Serge to make the models?

Offline Serge

• Rep: 13
    • View Profile
    • http://www.q3k.org/
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 01:14:44 PM »
HAI GUISE I HAVE A STEERING WHEEL AND A WRENCH WHERE DID I PUT THEM TO MAKE CAR?
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org

Offline Enigm@

• convicted sex offender
  • :really_makes_you_think:
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
Honestly, who the heck are you?

Can you Triforce?
(◕‿◕✿) discord: uncle_slamm steam: bigmommaprodz #unbanlra2

Offline Enigm@

• convicted sex offender
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 01:33:58 PM »
HAI GUISE I HAVE A STEERING WHEEL AND A WRENCH WHERE DID I PUT THEM TO MAKE CAR?
DP
 Wrenches don't go on cars. :p

Offline Serge

• Rep: 13
    • View Profile
    • http://www.q3k.org/
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 01:40:44 PM »
DP

whoosh

(milkshake is used to build 3d models, and it doesn't go "into" a game, either)
home | twitter | yt | gmf de/compiler | component freedom | xmpp: q3k@q3k.org | email: q3k@q3k.org

Offline Enigm@

• convicted sex offender
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 01:54:46 PM »
DP

whoosh

(milkshake is used to build 3d models, and it doesn't go "into" a game, either)
Oh. I've never used milkshake. :P

Offline Sparkey98

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 01:56:53 PM »
why not Google sketchup? Mojang uses it to make Minecraft.