Author Topic: Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood  (Read 5628 times)

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
« on: April 23, 2016, 06:38:58 PM »
Hey, anyone remember this game?

I remember it well, considering it was my first trip into the rpg genre, and I looked at it again recently, and it is a decent entry level rpg, and a damn fine sonic game. It is a shame that the sequel is stuck in limbo, due to copyrighting issues with a staff member regarding the comics, and the similar designs in SC. Although, Sega barely acknowledge this game's existence, anymore, which is a shame, as this game is decent.

The art is great, the music is... Questionable, at best, the graphics are decent, for DS, and the story is pretty good for a sonic game. There are some twists here and there that genuinely shocked me.

Definitely worth picking up, especially considering it's relatively cheap to get pre-owned

8.5/10 better than boom

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 06:42:18 PM »
read the title and thought it was an edgy fanfic

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 06:43:53 PM »
read the title and thought it was an edgy fanfic

Well, then it would be in chatterbox, wouldn't it?

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 06:44:13 PM »
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 06:46:16 PM »

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 06:50:31 PM »
I remember not liking this, but I can't remember why exactly.

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 06:55:27 PM »
Stylus implementation into the battle system was what made me quit it. If it was a straight up RPG, I would've liked it. The soundtrack, as I remember it, wasn't that bad, imo, it just sounded a bit compressed/low quality, which is a shame because I love the following theme:

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 07:07:56 PM »
I don't own this game, but I think I tried it out for five minutes way back in my middle school from a friend.  I wasn't big on the gimmicky stylus battle mechanic and the music is just bad (except fro the battle theme that yugi posted).  And that's all I remembered.  I was debating on buying the game to give it a fair shot,  but but after seeing Clement's review of the game, I think I'm better off avoiding it.  Shame too, because BioWare had developed that game.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 08:35:18 PM »
Got to the very end of this game way back in the day. I'd call it decent at best.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 04:27:47 AM »
Yeah, the stylus implementation can get irritating, but you get used to it. I would've liked to see some buttons we could use, instead.

Stylus implementation into the battle system was what made me quit it. If it was a straight up RPG, I would've liked it. The soundtrack, as I remember it, wasn't that bad, imo, it just sounded a bit compressed/low quality, which is a shame because I love the following theme:

From what I heard, the music was low-quality, because it was rushed, as they planned to use original sonic music, but they couldn't get the rights off the band.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 05:09:11 PM »
i actually kinda want to play it just cus it's made by bioware for whatever reason

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 05:18:03 PM »
i actually kinda want to play it just cus it's made by bioware for whatever reason

It's not the most amazing Bioware game, but it is definitely worth picking up. Although, Id say you really shouldn't spend any more than £15 on it. (so don't try looking for it new, as it can get quite expensive)

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 03:12:51 PM »

i agree with your statement, except it's a *sonic* RPG

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »
Originally wasn't going to reply as I don't have much positive to say, but oh well, might as well do:

Sorry, I don't really have much in common with your opinion, I do think that this is sadly one of the worst sonic games, with a lot of lack for a potential fun sonic RPG, instead we get a game that's full of gimmicky controls, new characters(which from what I've seen, didn't add much) and music that's made out of random background sounds.

This game could've just taken part in sonic's classic universe, having an open world like green hill where you actually fight motobugs and buzzbombers instead of random green armored armadillos and swarms of wasps, graphics are ok(could've been better, but then again it's the DS) and music... I'd say it's on the bad side but some tracks do somewhat sound ok, as if they were some alpha/first preview. I guess it was also the Ds' hardware which made the music so low quality.
From what I heard, the music was low-quality, because it was rushed, as they planned to use original sonic music, but they couldn't get the rights off the band.
It does actually use some sonic tracks in it, and those aren't exactly high quality either.

Is it really copyright issues that stopped the second game? I've heard that the first one just didn't go that well so a second one was never considered.

In short, I wouldn't say it's a good game, but probably ok. Fan Games have always done a better job at it, even if they didn't have high quality art and only were good for it's time, I do remember Final Fantasy Sonic(named because it has a Final Fantasy styled battle system) and Sonic RPG, which I'd consider somewhat good if you're ok with newgrounds stuff and don't find everything instantly cringeworthy, even if they were basically flash movies for the most part.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 03:51:23 PM »
Originally wasn't going to reply as I don't have much positive to say, but oh well, might as well do:

Sorry, I don't really have much in common with your opinion, I do think that this is sadly one of the worst sonic games, with a lot of lack for a potential fun sonic RPG, instead we get a game that's full of gimmicky controls, new characters(which from what I've seen, didn't add much) and music that's made out of random background sounds.

This game could've just taken part in sonic's classic universe, having an open world like green hill where you actually fight motobugs and buzzbombers instead of random green armored armadillos and swarms of wasps, graphics are ok(could've been better, but then again it's the DS) and music... I'd say it's on the bad side but some tracks do somewhat sound ok, as if they were some alpha/first preview. I guess it was also the Ds' hardware which made the music so low quality.
It does actually use some sonic tracks in it, and those aren't exactly high quality either.

Is it really copyright issues that stopped the second game? I've heard that the first one just didn't go that well so a second one was never considered.

In short, I wouldn't say it's a good game, but probably ok. Fan Games have always done a better job at it, even if they didn't have high quality art and only were good for it's time, I do remember Final Fantasy Sonic(named because it has a Final Fantasy styled battle system) and Sonic RPG, which I'd consider somewhat good if you're ok with newgrounds stuff and don't find everything instantly cringeworthy, even if they were basically flash movies for the most part.

Fair enough, you don't like it, and I understand why. To answer your question: Yes, there are copyright issues, as a former artist of the sonic comics (which much of sonic chronicles was heavily based on) has taken copyrights on some of the common enemies and settings in the comics (SWATbots, etc.), as well as some of the storylines being almost completely parallel to the comics (e.g. Shade is very similar to Julie-Su, as she is also an echidna who defected from the "evil" side). So, Sega are playing it safe to ensure that they don't get into a copyright battle with this artist.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 04:21:48 PM »
Fair enough, you don't like it, and I understand why. To answer your question: Yes, there are copyright issues, as a former artist of the sonic comics (which much of sonic chronicles was heavily based on) has taken copyrights on some of the common enemies and settings in the comics (SWATbots, etc.), as well as some of the storylines being almost completely parallel to the comics (e.g. Shade is very similar to Julie-Su, as she is also an echidna who defected from the "evil" side). So, Sega are playing it safe to ensure that they don't get into a copyright battle with this artist.
Thanks, nice to see that there are people on the internet that understand others opinions. I do have to say that it's not that bad, still a ok game and I can see why people like it, after all it's the closest we got to a Sonic RPG.
Was this the same dude that now took Julie Su(which is why the comics had to reboot) and is now doing his "original" thing with "totally not knuckles"?
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 05:21:36 PM »
Thanks, nice to see that there are people on the internet that understand others opinions. I do have to say that it's not that bad, still a ok game and I can see why people like it, after all it's the closest we got to a Sonic RPG.
Was this the same dude that now took Julie Su(which is why the comics had to reboot) and is now doing his "original" thing with "totally not knuckles"?

If that guy's name is "Penders" (or something similar, because my memory is terrible), then you'd be correct.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 05:27:27 PM »

If that guy's name is "Penders" (or something similar, because my memory is terrible), then you'd be correct.
From what I remember it is.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 05:40:37 PM »
Oh, lord. I just looked up what Penders did after sonic with his "original characters donnut steel" and I found this on his website

What the hell did he do to them?

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 06:03:07 PM »
Oh, lord. I just looked up what Penders did after sonic with his "original characters donnut steel" and I found this on his website

(Image removed from quote.)

What the hell did he do to them?
That one isn't too bad, the original was nightmare fuel with those spike teeth and creepy look.
Tournament History:
Showcases: