Author Topic: Minetest  (Read 8292 times)

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
  • Rep: -34
    • View Profile
    • click to download more ram
    • Awards
Minetest
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:51:51 PM »
www.minetest.net
What do you think?

Offline Flying_Chao

• Rep: 4
  • Unified Utopian State Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Minetest
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 11:31:15 PM »
So... It's another Minecraft?

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 11:38:46 PM »
Ugh why do people rip off Minecraft so much, it isn't even funny.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 03:35:24 AM »
and then it turns out minecraft is just a ripoff of inspired by another game called infiniminer
PLOT TWIST

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »

At least this one is free to play.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline playzooki

• A title is a prefix or suffix added to someone's name in certain contexts. It may signify either veneration, an official position or a professional or academic qualification. In some languages, titles may be inserted before a last name (for example,
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »
This is designed for older computers that CANT RUN MINECRAFT. IT IS NOT A RIPOFF

Offline Chaosmancer

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Sir Wall-Of-Text
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »
This is designed for older computers that CANT RUN MINECRAFT. IT IS NOT A RIPOFF

So it is exactly like Minecraft except less straining on the computer? So if Minecraft had a 'Super Ultra Low' setting for graphics, then it would be Minetest? Trying to say it is not a ripoff is like me making something like Devil May Cry, except replacing all the models with really rubbish models, releasing it for free and saying it isn't a ripoff because it is designed to work on older machines.

It even has the same UI and everything.

And those totally item sprites totally don't look exactly like Minecraft ones.
Yes that sequence of words I just said made perfect sense.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
I swear to god that is the exact same sapling sprite

Offline Sylandro

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -22
  • :antithinking:
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 02:50:15 PM »
It is.

Anyway, i'd give this my 2 cents in, because i have minecraft, and i think this would be nice.
<*Jade*> Are you trying to blow up Jupiter?

Tournament Records

Offline Chaosmancer

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Sir Wall-Of-Text
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 03:09:23 PM »

Same for the torch sprite, and the other sprites look to just be very slightly changed Minecraft Sprites. But it's like a free Minecraft without having to pirate it. Not seen any screenshots that show mobs, but that doesn't mean anything. It seems to have some things from the Tekkit side of things too.

And this game is definitely not Minecraft. I mean seriously, look how different it looks.

Offline playzooki

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »
Those screenshots have mods in, which are very easy to install.

Offline playzooki

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 07:22:30 AM »

Trying to say it is not a ripoff is like me making something like Devil May Cry, except replacing all the models with really rubbish models, releasing it for free and saying it isn't a ripoff because it is designed to work on older machines.
Its coded in C++ and Lua.
And its not just the graphics
Minecraft servers need 4 GB of RAM
Minetest servers can run comfortably on 128 MB of RAM

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 07:50:09 AM »
The poor man's Minecraft essentially.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Chaosmancer

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Sir Wall-Of-Text
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 09:14:29 AM »

Trying to say it is not a ripoff is like me making something like Devil May Cry, except replacing all the models with really rubbish models, releasing it for free and saying it isn't a ripoff because it is designed to work on older machines.

Just because it is coded in a different language and can run at lower specs, does not make it any less like Minecraft. It looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, tastes like a duck, it is a duck. It looks like Minecraft (heck, it even uses the same sprites), plays like Minecraft, and has mods like Minecraft, that are easy to install like (most of) Minecraft's ones (the only one I can remember being a pain was the Uranium mod), the only difference is the language that it's coded it, that it can run at lower specs, and is free (I can't talk about sounds since I haven't played Minetest). You can't deny that it is a carbon copy of Minecraft. To do so is silly.

Edit: Just did a quick play, and it sounds the same, possibly lower quality sounds.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 09:22:56 AM »

PAHAHAHAHA

no.

My server has 1GB of memory to play with. 4GB can easily cope with 60+ people on the server, with animals, explosions etc. Hell, i've seen servers with 256mb for a few friends to mess about on. 4GB is overkill. Besides, what makes this game 'better' than Minecraft? Just because it can run on old machines doesn't mean much at all.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 10:34:51 AM »

PAHAHAHAHA

no.

My server has 1GB of memory to play with. 4GB can easily cope with 60+ people on the server, with animals, explosions etc. Hell, i've seen servers with 256mb for a few friends to mess about on. 4GB is overkill. Besides, what makes this game 'better' than Minecraft? Just because it can run on old machines doesn't mean much at all.

Yeah, I have a buddy that was had a server on a Linux laptop with 2GB of RAM, with only 1GB allocated for Minecraft.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline playzooki

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 01:10:54 PM »

PAHAHAHAHA

no.

And thats how much i pay attention to minecraft.
PLus, its easier to mod.
And it has a better community.

Offline Kossokei

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • 「ろくでなし」
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 01:27:25 PM »

PAHAHAHAHA

no.

And thats how much i pay attention to minecraft.
PLus, its easier to mod.
And it has a better community.
Minecraft has a legion versus that community.

Besides, the recent updates they've made to minecraft have made it much easier to mod (in the sense of adding mods to it, we leave the whole modding business to the people who actually can)

Offline Chaosmancer

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Sir Wall-Of-Text
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 01:38:24 PM »

I'm guessing that by 'better' he means kinder, as in the people there aren't looking to fill the creatiom that took you several hours to build with TNT and find a way to make you unknowingly flip the switch/flip the switch themselves. Or fill your house/mineshaft with bedrock, or something.

Offline Kossokei

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • 「ろくでなし」
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »

I'm guessing that by 'better' he means kinder, as in the people there aren't looking to fill the creatiom that took you several hours to build with TNT and find a way to make you unknowingly flip the switch/flip the switch themselves. Or fill your house/mineshaft with bedrock, or something.
Griefers are going to grief. I don't consider them as part of the legion of minecraft players.

And besides, I'm talking about on the forums. The people are pretty kind and helpful last time I checked.