Author Topic: Runt9's Showcase  (Read 1006 times)

Offline runt9

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Runt9's Showcase
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »
Well, I spent a lot of time in the bot lab trying to come up with something effective and extremely deadly. I prefer high-attack bots rather than rammers or defenders. This is obvious by the bot I'm about to show you.

Obelisk of Terror
Specs:
Drivetrain - 4 Astroflight motors with Small Ant Wheels
Power - 2 PC545 Batteries (Plenty of power) along with 8 Ant Batteries producing a whopping 175.2 Amps (Way overpowered, I know)
Weapon - 150 cm Armored Disk + Spinner shell with 12x 30kg Sledgehammers driven by a single Perm 132 motor.
The Sword on top is for two reasons - I needed to go ahead and finish getting it close to 800, and it acts as a self-righting system. Because of how fast it spins, it usually can right me back over pretty quickly.

Now, based off of the other bots that I have seen posted around here, I'm going to go ahead and point out the obvious flaws...
1. Too much unused space.
2. Way too overpowered
3. Not very realistic
4. Not stable or fast enough to be effective

However, it deals out such a massive amount of damage if used correctly, it's not even funny. Here's a quick battle picture...

Also, I know the name is wrong on the battle picture. Spinning fireman was its old name when I had fireman axes on the blades. It's now Obelisk of Terror, which I feel gets the point across pretty nicely. It's my first bot to be posted here, though definitely not the first one I've made. Any comments and criticisms are welcome, and I'll hopefully continue growing and maturing in my building process.

EDIT: Since I found out that Lock Nut is the standard to compare your bot to, I figured this would be a nice little picture:

I know there's no time showing, that's because I like doing unlimited time, being that you only destroy, not wait for time to run out. I knocked one of his hammers off, which shot him into the air and spinning out of control. I slipped underneath him and took him from about 90% health to 10% in one hit. Knocked the other 2 hammers off on my way to crushing him. Altogether, the time was about 25 seconds.

Offline Pwnator

• Rep: 15
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • http://pwnator.tumblr.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Runt9's Showcase
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 10:35:08 PM »
Visually pleasing, though.

Oh, and I think you already know fighting a MW with a HW is kinda unfair, but the reverse should be awesome. :P

And instead of using weak 4WD, go for a fast 2WD for roughly the same speed for less weight and power consumption.
Clash Cubes 1 - Grey Matter (Runner-Up)
King of Karnage - Sideshow Freak (Runner-Up, Best Engineered)
Rust In Pieces - Paper Cut 3 (Grand Champion, Most Dangerous Bot)
Wheely Tag Tournament - Ion Thruster (Grand Champion, along with Ounces' DiSemboweLment)
UK vs USA - Dark Striker (Grand Champion)
Rust In Pieces 2 - Claymore (Runner-Up, Favourite Bot)
BBEANS 6 - Infection 4 (Runner-Up)
RA2 Team Championships - Serious Business, Skeksis (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, and Badnik)
RA2 Team Championships 2 - The Other Stig (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, Badnik, 090901, and R1885)
Replica Wars 3 - Abaddon (Runner-Up, Luckiest Bot)
BroBots - wheebot & yaybot (Runner-Up)
Robo Zone 2 - Dipper (4th place, Survival Champion, & Best Axle Bot)
ARBBC - The Covenant (3rd place, BW Rumble Winner, Most Feared BW)

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Runt9's Showcase
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:17:49 AM »
Very good first bot. Here's just a general rundown:

- For comparing purposes, we use dirrerent bots for different weight classes: Ninja and any MW's for testing LW's, Backslash, Locknut, and any HW's when testing MW's, and Grog, the Vengeful, WIIDE LOAD, and Mako generally for testing HW's.

- For HW's, try to stick to NPC and ETEK drive. You can occasionally get away with other stuff, but only in certian cases. Hypno wheels and Techno wheels are also the absolute best.

You seem to understand most of the concepts very well.

On to your bot:
- For shell spinners, a double-perm weapon motor is usually a must. Anything else is usually too weak to generate any speed and cause major damage.
- It is overpowered. The simple solution: remove some batteries!
- Astroflights should not be used for anything above a LW. Use two NPC's (fast ones if you have the weight) with hypno wheels for drive.
- As far as I can tell, it is realistic, as there are no obvious laws of physics being broken.

Also, what armour does it have?

Offline runt9

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Runt9's Showcase
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 01:58:15 AM »
Lemme just quickly comment back on all of your points.

I tried a 2WD and the bot is just too big for me to find an efficient setup for 2WD. While using 4WD, I put on NPCs, but stuck with the small ant wheels mainly for weight reasons. The bot can drive relatively quickly, but with that much weight going that fast, I don't really have the chance to drive straight. I sit, spin, and watch the carnage, essentially.

Also, my bad on pitting it against MWs, I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing.

The Double Perm is obviously the best, but due to weight and space (Mainly drivetrain) constraints, I did have to avoid it for this spinner.

I believe it's running either 1mm plastic or 1mm aluminum. Usually the battle is long over before they can break my shell off and start eating away at me and it's next to impossible to get underneath me because of the low ground clearance. If they do, though, it's pretty much over because I have no way of righting myself if I land clear on my roof.

The problem I continue to run into is the idiotic AI that knows how to do nothing but ram me into a wall, no matter what bot it is. When I'm pressed against the wall, my weapon's not spinning, but my bot itself is, so I'm only dealing a minimal amount of damage from the little bit of grinding that the hammers do.

But thanks for the help and compliments guys.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Runt9's Showcase
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 08:53:59 AM »
Not bad for a newbie.

However you need at least a six mag for this, and 2WD NPC and Hypno's, as well as 1mm Titanium at least and not more than 100 amps.