Author Topic: Qwertythe300th/Team Texbots Robotic Showcase  (Read 1628 times)

Offline qwertythe300th

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • /r/Battlebots Moderator, and well thats about it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Qwertythe300th/Team Texbots Robotic Showcase
« on: November 09, 2015, 09:17:59 PM »
Well, I don't really use Customs much anymore. Probably should quit posting in the customs thread.

Anyhoo, lets roll on.

I'm just going to knock these guys out 1 by 1, then I'll do a post on my signature bot later this week

BIG TEX was my 1st SHW for TexBots and 1st SHW in general. Its pretty much a SHW version of Midland Monster (which was for HelloFace's Spring Tournament) It was suppose to be in Battlebots but never saw the light of day for one reason or another.

Dallas was Texbot's 1st HW, and led on to the inspiration of Steel of San Antonio. Pretty much ran on 5 ramming spikes, which in hindsight shouldve all been Razors. It Split Decisioned in Battlebots, but lost.

Midland Monster, Which I was talking about earlier. It did kinda poorly in Helloface's tournament. Pretty much standard VS

Lastly its Textanic, Which was going to be a MW I used often for Battlebots and one of Kurt's random tournaments. Pretty much never saw the light of day due to nobody knowing how to AI it properly.

I'll show off the San Antonio Family later.
Lone Star Domination.

Offline Jakewilliamson

• Founder of Yugioh Robotics
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Fully Charged!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Qwertythe300th/Team Texbots Robotic Showcase
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 01:06:01 AM »
Don't use the black batteries, plus piglets for drive is a big no.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 04:13:54 AM »
I'm mildly impressed at how long you've been here but yet haven't got the basics.
General DSL rules of thumb
1) Never use Piglets for drive in any weightclass ever (as JW says)
2) For batteries, 1 ant battery per spin motor. So 'BIG TEX' only needs 3 ants (add an extra if you have weight, for good luck). Burst motors still need their amp ratings fulfilled but all spin motors only need 1 ant each.
3) Realism. In DSL-S and IRL no moving part can cut through anything else. This is likely the actual reason Textanic never got accepted, as the blade goes straight through those batteries.
4) Don't use different drive motors in the bot. It just doesn't help. Dallas would likely run great on 4 NPC Fasts.

And now some more IRL directed advice

5) Wow your supports. I'd be cautious of ever accepting BIG TEX or Midland Monster into any IRL tournament because there's so little support for the massive motors and, generally, the huge amount of weight. You'd never see a real bot with 8 mags and 2 big spinning discs supported by only 1 thin pole into the chassis. It only needs to be aesthetic supports. Also, nobody would ever leave 8 mags so very exposed. ;)

Hope this helps.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline martymidget

• Rep: 7
  • Mr Flibble is very cross.
    • http://tts.imtranslator.n
    • View Profile
    • :)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 06:38:42 AM »
Multi extenders > baseplate anchors, in 99.9% of situations.

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 6
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 08:27:51 AM »
I would use techno wheels for the first one since they have more grip. Also, as I've said before, use the blue speed controller because it's lighter. I would use vlad wheels on Dallas if they're big enough since they're lighter. You're using weapon motors for drive on Midland Monster, which is something you should never do- NPC Fasts will perform much better. You should replace the wheels with technos as well.

Offline qwertythe300th

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • /r/Battlebots Moderator, and well thats about it.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »
I'm mildly impressed at how long you've been here but yet haven't got the basics.

Never been one to make excuses, but I've never really applied, or done much showcase work in the past, which I guess is why I never have had the "Basics"

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll try to find time to edit together the SoSA family tonight. That way I can get onto my new robots.
Lone Star Domination.