Author Topic: KupaRizu's DSL Showcase  (Read 3323 times)

Offline KupaRizu

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
KupaRizu's DSL Showcase
« on: October 27, 2015, 06:52:05 AM »
Oh hey guys, welcome to my showcase, I'll be putting a picture up soon and links to my various designs on this first post, as a sort of index, hope you enjoy!

Bot list:
PUNCHCAT (LW Puncher)
BUZZKILL (LW HS)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 11:27:13 AM by KupaRizu »

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: KupaRizu's DSL Showcase
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:31:39 AM »
It's quite underweaponed for a mw and rather thin. I'd recommend going with a shorter and wider chassis shape so you only need vlads to be invertible . That should leave you with some weight to add more weapons.

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 6
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 08:37:35 AM »
That support thing isn't necessary on the bot since you're building DSL-Standard. Also slipperbottom wheels are pretty bad, vlad wheels would be the best to use here.

Offline KupaRizu

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:22:36 AM »
That support thing isn't necessary on the bot since you're building DSL-Standard. Also slipperbottom wheels are pretty bad, vlad wheels would be the best to use here.

The support beam was meant more as a protection of the Perm than a support structure. I've shrunk down the chassis height a little bit and changed the wheels to Vlads as per your recommendation.

It's quite underweaponed for a mw and rather thin. I'd recommend going with a shorter and wider chassis shape so you only need vlads to be invertible . That should leave you with some weight to add more weapons.

I shortened and widened the chassis, which had the consequence of turning my vertically mounted drum in to a horizontal drum. I switched to Vlads, and upped the weapon power by switching to the larger Perm and replacing my beaters with sledgehammers, performs much better.

Updated component picture:

4 Ants, Plastic 3 (to keep middleweight), 389.9kg

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »
Unrealistic due to the fact that the hammers will cut through the perm. If you are going for IRL, extend outwards the perm by increasing the length and put some supports. Not sure about this drum setup either as it keeps the hammers in very close, and also the wedges are not very useful in that position as the weapon is above it.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 10:11:51 AM »
If you are going for IRL
Yeah, no. IRL is actively bad for someone new to start out with.

The wedges are useless altogether on a single-motor HS. My best bet would be to use the top attachment point of the perm for your weapon. That way you can put as long of a weapon on as you want and not have it intersect the motor. You might also want to consider attaching the perm to the front of your chassis.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 12:05:27 PM »
Putting the weapons on top would kill them though, they wouldn't be able to hit much at all. What you need to worry about is, because of the angled shape and weapons, robots will very easily get around to your side. So maybe some chassis/wheel protection on the side they're more likely to be on, or maybe even a wedge down that side to keep them away.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 02:31:47 AM »
You don't need the weapon motor mounted internally if you have a perm 132 since they have tonnes of hitpoints. You can get away with a smaller chassis and probably angling your motor downwards (think Surgeon General) if you do that.

Offline KupaRizu

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 01:21:25 PM »
Okay I'm going to continue working on Omega and will report back when I am happy with the results. Until then I give unto you my little lightweight monster that is:

PUNCHCAT

Tiny little thing that runs on 2 magmotors and deals damage via a compressed air powered fist. Titanium 5 armour.
I built it after seeing Lightning S's Ironbot Jr idea, hopefully his tournament goes through and I'm able to enter in to it :D

Find your opinions, tell them to me :D

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 01:53:01 PM »
Cool bot, it has personality.

If you could find a way to shuffle the internals to allow for invertability (hypno wheels allow invertability on minimum-height bots) that'd be good.

I donno how good fists are as weapons, but it might be too tall for invertability.  You might want to consider swapping to several beater bars or something, though admittedly that would have far less pizzazz.  That said, I haven't played DSL for over 6 months, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Cool avatar also.

Offline KupaRizu

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 11:22:02 AM »
You might want to consider swapping to several beater bars or something, though admittedly that would have far less pizzazz.

I'm still not entirely too sure of the purpose or correct usage of Beater Bars if I'm going to be honest, would anyone be willing to link me to some IRL or DSL bots that make good use of them so I can learn from the masters?

Cool avatar also.

Thank you very much, likewise to yourself :P

Offline KupaRizu

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 11:25:33 AM »
Not much feedback on PUNCHCAT, don't know wether that is a good thing or a bad thing, but I return once more with another little bot for your enjoyment!

The rather originally named:
BUZZKILL

A tiny little HS, effective against bots it can get under and difficult to flip thanks to its tiny ground clearance (which is problematic on bumpy stages but mo'well)

4 Ants, 2 Magmotors and the blade is on a small perm, Titanium 1 armour.

I am working on something a little bit better than PUNCHCAT or BUZZKILL for my next showcase, I'm learning much from you guys, so I thank you very much and hope to see you all on the battlefield soon :D

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »
I'm still not entirely too sure of the purpose or correct usage of Beater Bars if I'm going to be honest, would anyone be willing to link me to some IRL or DSL bots that make good use of them so I can learn from the masters?

Also, if you have two posts to make in quick succession, you can just edit the first post instead of making two posts.

Offline KupaRizu

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »
Also, if you have two posts to make in quick succession, you can just edit the first post instead of making two posts.

Sorry about that, I completely forgot about the Edit button, my bad.

Thank you very much for the example of a beater bar bot, I'm sort of understanding their use from browsing other showcases and reading what people have said. May have to try my hand at them and figure them out at some point

Offline martymidget

• Rep: 7
  • Mr Flibble is very cross.
    • http://tts.imtranslator.n
    • View Profile
    • :)
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 06:19:50 PM »
Beaters are mostly used as weapon extensions that also double as concussion weapons themselves. For spinners, they're best used with piercing weapons (such as light dsl teeth or razors), and for rammers they're good to use by themselves, such as the bot Thrackerzod posted.

https://wiki.gametechmods.com/index.php?title=Concussion
https://wiki.gametechmods.com/index.php?title=Piercing

For an example of a bot that uses beater bars for deweaponing and for gutripping;

Maybe you could come up with a new way of using them. That'd be cool.