Author Topic: Phoenyx's Showcase - Glass Cannons and random robots  (Read 14972 times)

Offline Phoenyx

• Rep: 0
  • Finally using my official Avatar
    • pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Phoenyx's Showcase - Glass Cannons and random robots
« on: June 18, 2012, 12:12:26 AM »
I'd like to introduce you to probably my most destructive RA2 DSL robot.

Alien Warrior 2, a revision on a robot that probably isn't worth mentioning anymore.

It's a heavyweight with a weapon system that weighs more than a middleweight alone. The armour's (I use some British spellings even though I'm from the US, more on that maybe in my profile once I get to editing it) not much to speak of, though... Ti1 isn't much, but I had to cut corners to fit the weapon drive in there.

You know that really powerful motor that people use for spinners? Well, I used the dual mount gearbox version. I have about 28 Ant Batteries in there, many of them overlapped due to space constraints (please don't kill me!). I know it's way too much but I need to put out a ton of amps to get the weapon to spin fast enough to do realistic damage for the weapon design. Drive motors are fast NPCs as is recommended. It's surprisingly fast and maneuverable for its design, and it needs every bit of its speed to avoid getting hit by hammers and the like.

:SFTW

Offline Pwnator

• Rep: 15
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • http://pwnator.tumblr.com
    • Awards
Re: Phoenyx's Showcase - Glass Cannons and random robots
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:19:05 AM »
That looks pretty cool, although its skin needs to be more convincing if you want it to be an IRL bot. :P
Clash Cubes 1 - Grey Matter (Runner-Up)
King of Karnage - Sideshow Freak (Runner-Up, Best Engineered)
Rust In Pieces - Paper Cut 3 (Grand Champion, Most Dangerous Bot)
Wheely Tag Tournament - Ion Thruster (Grand Champion, along with Ounces' DiSemboweLment)
UK vs USA - Dark Striker (Grand Champion)
Rust In Pieces 2 - Claymore (Runner-Up, Favourite Bot)
BBEANS 6 - Infection 4 (Runner-Up)
RA2 Team Championships - Serious Business, Skeksis (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, and Badnik)
RA2 Team Championships 2 - The Other Stig (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, Badnik, 090901, and R1885)
Replica Wars 3 - Abaddon (Runner-Up, Luckiest Bot)
BroBots - wheebot & yaybot (Runner-Up)
Robo Zone 2 - Dipper (4th place, Survival Champion, & Best Axle Bot)
ARBBC - The Covenant (3rd place, BW Rumble Winner, Most Feared BW)

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:20:45 AM »
you only need 6 ant batts max. And because you only need 6 ants, reduce a lot of empty space which is there because of the useless ants
and with that, try to get plastic 3 and at least a 60 kg hammer.

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 12:26:36 AM »
you only need 6 ant batts max. And because you only need 6 ants, reduce a lot of empty space which is there because of the useless ants

I'll try less batteries, better armour and heavier hammers, but the robot is kinda designed to fit a theme, thus the odd shape and resulting empty space.

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 12:43:04 AM »

I'll try less batteries, better armour and heavier hammers, but the robot is kinda designed to fit a theme, thus the odd shape and resulting empty space.
and after that, you can go for either a 150cm disc(medium or large beater bar+small ds tooth;make sure you leave no gap on the disc),flail disc(same 150 cm disc but with 180 axle mount+razors) or bar(70 kg hammers, if there's leftover weight stick another hammer to the 70 kg hammer).

Offline Pwnator

• Rep: 15
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • http://pwnator.tumblr.com
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 12:46:20 AM »
and how would that make it irl
Clash Cubes 1 - Grey Matter (Runner-Up)
King of Karnage - Sideshow Freak (Runner-Up, Best Engineered)
Rust In Pieces - Paper Cut 3 (Grand Champion, Most Dangerous Bot)
Wheely Tag Tournament - Ion Thruster (Grand Champion, along with Ounces' DiSemboweLment)
UK vs USA - Dark Striker (Grand Champion)
Rust In Pieces 2 - Claymore (Runner-Up, Favourite Bot)
BBEANS 6 - Infection 4 (Runner-Up)
RA2 Team Championships - Serious Business, Skeksis (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, and Badnik)
RA2 Team Championships 2 - The Other Stig (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, Badnik, 090901, and R1885)
Replica Wars 3 - Abaddon (Runner-Up, Luckiest Bot)
BroBots - wheebot & yaybot (Runner-Up)
Robo Zone 2 - Dipper (4th place, Survival Champion, & Best Axle Bot)
ARBBC - The Covenant (3rd place, BW Rumble Winner, Most Feared BW)

Offline ty4er

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:47:58 AM »

and after that, you can go for either a 150cm disc(medium or large beater bar+small ds tooth;make sure you leave no gap on the disc),flail disc(same 150 cm disc but with 180 axle mount+razors) or bar(70 kg hammers, if there's leftover weight stick another hammer to the 70 kg hammer).
no

you should be able to get 70kg hammers if you get rid of most of those batteries. and the blue control board is lighter for some reason so you should use it more than the smalller one, it's a good habit to get into
DSL Showcase
is this bot don't lost all razors in a fight before do a damage thought

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 12:52:54 AM »
and how would that make it irl
*whisper mode* i'm not trying to turn it IRL, i'm telling him for efficiency sake. *whisper mode end*

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 12:57:09 AM »
Alright. I was able to drop enough weight off of the robot to run three 70 kg hammers and Pl3 armour. It's still a bit fragile, but it can take more punishment and is quite a lot more powerful now, plus I have a bit of weight to spare. The thing maulers like crazy though after a hard hit, though.

I may invest some of the additional weight into tougher armour.

As for making this robot IRL, once I get my first heavyweight built I might just go and do that. :idea2: I don't think people would appreciate getting Whyachi'd, though. One Son of Whyachi is already quite a lot for the world to handle and if another one exists (not counting YU812 or any of the other Team Whyachi robots), it might cause the universe to implode due to their epicness. :mrgreen:

NINJA'D, if the word applies...: Yeah. Rule of Cool applies here.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 01:01:41 AM »
If you didn't got it GS, he wants to build this for the rule of cool, NOT turn it into a generic shell spinner.

Your advice is not necessary right now.

Offline NFX

• Rep: 11
  • SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 05:25:13 AM »
The chassis shape reminds me of something like a WipEout-style hovercraft thing. It looks pretty good for IRL, though, but you technically only need 3 ants for this (every spin motor needs 1 ant for full power), but 4 or 5 would give it more longevity, plus some weight for more armour, or small aesthetic touches. If you take a look at a bot called Freezerburn in my showcase, it's got a similar sort of design. =) Good work for an IRL bot, though.
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 08:24:01 AM »
I think the use of "IRL" is confusing him.

When we talk about building IRL bots in RA2, we mean that it is a design that could be built in real-life, not that we expect you to really go out and spend the time and money to actually build it.

Essentially, it is built to look nice and looks like something that could be built, rather than to be as destructive as the screwed up physics in RA2 will let you make it.

I hope I'm not just confusing you more.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 08:38:58 AM »
When we talk about building IRL bots in RA2, we mean that it is a design that could be built in real-life, not that we expect you to really go out and spend the time and money to actually build it.

Essentially, it is built to look nice and looks like something that could be built, rather than to be as destructive as the screwed up physics in RA2 will let you make it.

Yeah. Also IRL bots must work in real life roughly as well as they do in game. Jugglers could be built IRL, but they wouldn't be half as effective as they are in RA2.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 09:58:46 AM »
That chassis looks really cool.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 10:06:48 AM »
and the blue control board is lighter for some reason
the green one has a separate receiver on it or something like that
really im hoping that in the next dsl they just make the green cb 4 kg and get rid of the blue one completely
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 01:33:15 AM »
the green one has a separate receiver on it or something like that
really im hoping that in the next dsl they just make the green cb 4 kg and get rid of the blue one completely

Separate receiver battery.

Offline Phoenyx

• pheonyximperius
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 04:20:07 AM »
I have a major update to post. At 4:35 AM EST on June 6th, 2012, I completed testing on a "full-body" drum/thresher (well, as close to one as possible without doing the whole "tilt it on its side" deal). It works a bit like what would happen if Nightmare was built as a barrel/drum/thresher/eggbeater rather than a VS. I have named this machine "Bragging Rights", and it is categorized under my Atomic Industries team, which I use for the development of innovative designs.

Although the hammers on the back can be used to SnS and ram, they are intended as ballast. I couldn't find the ballast component in DSL.

The batteries and control board are housed within the lightly armoured case within the beater. I used the vertical-mounted control board due to space requirements.

Bragging Rights vs a bunch of crates. In actual battles, this machine easily took out typical realistic heavyweight robots like Loki (not shown yet, a Village Idiot clone), but it had trouble with both Alien Warrior II (which literally disassembled it) and TM05 (Not shown yet, an extremely slow machine with heavy armour and probably one of the most powerful hammer weapons ever, plus its name is a Glitch Move in Pokemon Red and Blue learned by the Glitch Pokemon h POKe).

I believe it would be possible to build a similar design IRL, with similarities to Towering Inferno, The Master and Stinger, but not exactly like the version pictured. The drum would be spun by multiple powered rollers rather than a single motor, and the rear stabilizers would be connected directly to the drive pods rather than the main chassis.

Honestly, if you were to attempt a similar design, I'd say do it for the challenge of building it rather than as an effective combatant. It's a lot of fun to drive, though, and it looks awesome in the arena.

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 04:38:22 AM »
[Bad advice deleted]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:09:01 AM by Naryar »

Offline Gropaga

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • "0" is the past and "1" is the future
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 06:45:28 AM »
Download 1.3 patch.
Revolutionary Revolution

Offline Gauche Suede

• Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 06:54:14 AM »
get the true DSL(on Sages and Zog's sig)