Author Topic: Naryar's DSL showcase - Oldschool DSL-S with 2.2  (Read 377306 times)

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Naryar's DSL Evil Overlord's Showcase - IRL SHALL BE SLAIN BY MY HANDS
« Reply #1420 on: February 14, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »
I know that, just letting you know.

Offline NFX

• Rep: 11
  • SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1421 on: February 14, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »
I don't care about 1.9 KG extra anyway. If I denied your bot then I wouldn't have a 32 bot bracket.
Well, if the rules say it should be under 399.0kg, then it should be under 399.0kg. If you got rid of Naryar's bot instead of wafflez's, then you'd still have a 32-bot bracket once GF93 gets his entry in. Rules should be rules for everyone, not just for the majority, with a select few who are allowed to circumvent it for whatever reason.
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1422 on: February 14, 2012, 04:19:59 PM »
He says it'll be fixed when he sends his update. I'm gonna wait for the update before I film.

If it isn't fixed in the update, then Wafflez takes his spot.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1423 on: February 15, 2012, 06:42:18 AM »
As I said I would do, the update is done. No need to get out of character and play Judge Dredd with me NFX, heck if there is one such judge here it's me.

Removed 3 ants, added hexes for protection, skinned, AI'd, and sent to Badnik.

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1424 on: February 15, 2012, 06:43:50 AM »
Still looks sub par DSL realistic to me.
Nice paintjob though.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1425 on: February 15, 2012, 04:40:28 PM »
Wedges, come on man.

Offline SKBT

« Reply #1426 on: February 15, 2012, 04:53:13 PM »
We go through this every time you build a "IRL" bot...

No bizarre chassis shapes. It's hard to make shapes like that IRL and offers no real benefit over a "normal" brick, in fact the sharp edges offer spinners with more to "bite" on. No sane robot builder would have a shape like that. About 80% of real bots are square or rectangular, not some weird microwaved polygon that you have there...

and wedges like that? come on man... build a bot that doesn't need wedges, or make it blend better.

Also your weapon is tiny. (yes I said your weapon was too small on a IRL bot) IRL we would laugh at someone if they had a weapon that small and light compared to the robot.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1427 on: February 15, 2012, 05:10:05 PM »
The wedges looked better on the unskinned bot, actually...

and yeah, bizarre chassis is bizarre. I accepted it because it was better than his last entry and he tried to make it IRL this time :P

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1428 on: February 15, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »
The chassis is ok I guess but I very much dislike those wedges nary has to put on every single "IRL" bots. As much as I`m sucking in DSL building Nary sucks in IRL. We could if we would be we just don`t do it.

Offline martymidget

• Rep: 7
  • Mr Flibble is very cross.
    • http://tts.imtranslator.n
    • View Profile
    • :)
    • Awards
« Reply #1429 on: February 15, 2012, 05:56:15 PM »
Aren't the rules for IRL "It could be built in real life"?

This could be built in real life- not that it might be any good -but it could be. People who build mainly IRL seem to be getting overly restrictive over this- which is strange because that was one of the reasons why most of them don't build normal DSL.

tl;dr (whoever looks here is really really lazy, as that is not much to read. Words are your friends....)

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1430 on: February 15, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »
and yeah, bizarre chassis is bizarre.
I can take it nobody can tell that it's supposed to be a dragon's head so it's shaped like one.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1431 on: February 15, 2012, 06:08:10 PM »
What you IRL builders don't understand is that I don't build IRL.

Sure I could put myself to it seriously, and I could trash any of you medium-level IRL builders (and yes, I am willing to back up these words) and be one of the best IRL builders. But I don't, cause I have spend my whole time here trying to make bots better and now some one year old style is going just against that.

This was built for the rule of cool, and as Badnik wanted the bots in his tournament to be entirely realistic, I made it entirely realistic.

and yeah, bizarre chassis is bizarre. I accepted it because it was better than his last entry and he tried to make it IRL this time :P

Is it me or does it just sounds like you took my bot out of pity ?

Offline Urjak

• Rep: 6
  • Shell Spinner King
    • http://www.youtube.com/wa
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1432 on: February 15, 2012, 07:16:27 PM »
Give up Naryar...

IRL is all about artbots, it doesn't matter how combat effective they are. In fact, there seems to be an inverse relationship between the effectiveness in combat and the "IRL-ness" of the bot. People design IRL bots for the looks, not the ability to deal out damage. This is certainly a valid way to build, but it seems so contrary to your style of building that you probably shouldn't bother.
Any comments would be appreciated. :D

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1433 on: February 15, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »
eh... maybe? XD

Offline Enigm@

• convicted sex offender
  • Rep: 5
  • :really_makes_you_think:
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1434 on: February 15, 2012, 09:41:21 PM »
What you IRL builders don't understand is that I don't build IRL.

Sure I could put myself to it seriously, and I could trash any of you medium-level IRL builders (and yes, I am willing to back up these words) and be one of the best IRL builders. But I don't, cause I have spend my whole time here trying to make bots better and now some one year old style is going just against that.

This was built for the rule of cool, and as Badnik wanted the bots in his tournament to be entirely realistic, I made it entirely realistic.

Is it me or does it just sounds like you took my bot out of pity ?
so you'd be willing to build a robot that would cost upwards of hundreds to thosands of french monies even though you have no past experience with robotics ? cool story bro.
(◕‿◕✿) discord: uncle_slamm steam: bigmommaprodz #unbanlra2

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1435 on: February 15, 2012, 10:58:24 PM »
Also I'm with Marty on this IRL thing.

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1436 on: February 16, 2012, 12:09:47 AM »

"Don't like it? DOESN'T MATTER I'M BETTER THAN YOU HURRR."

But seriously, if you are going to build an IRL bot, THEN IT MUST BE IRL. You can't attempt to build an IRL bot for an IRL tourney and then when it's not universally received with pants-creaming joy counter all arguments with "yeah well I don't build IRL." YOU ARE CLEARLY TRYING TO BUILD IRL. THE EVIDENCE IS RIGHT FREAKING THERE DO NOT LIE TO US  :rage

All you're accomplishing with your staunch refusal to conform to IRL standards is being annoying. You're like the noob that posts his bot and then refuses to listen to you when you offer quality advice. Saying "no, you're WRONG and I could trash you all" proves nothing when there are a few of us that could say the same thing, especially considering that some of us who can also make this claim have embraced building IRL style bots. Your reactions to our criticism look completely irrational.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1437 on: February 16, 2012, 12:50:11 AM »
Hmm... I seem to be deriving no pleasure from the current confrontation. It is weird.

Also, I must think more about what happened there just before I went to sleep. I may have acted illogically here.

I wonder if it would make more sense let this be my last IRL-like bot, and stopping to try and build something close to IRL so it can be accepted as IRL, since I am by all means a DSL "realistic" builder, who does occasional dips in original and candy building ? Though I also have the feeling it's just running away from a battle, and therefore a chance at a constructive experience.

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1438 on: February 16, 2012, 01:45:04 AM »
I wouldn't say that IRL is "running away from a battle." I see it more like "not for the purpose of battle." Comparing IRL bots to regular DSL standard bots are like comparing hot rods to race cars, in the sense that while both are cars, one is to show off to your friends and fellow enthusiasts while the other is to let the competitive juices flow in head-to-head competition.

From my point of view at least, people build IRL bots in an effort to emulate the machines they saw tearing up Battlebots or Robot Wars way back when, kind of like replicas of bots that never existed. People build IRL because it gives them the opportunity to live a little vicariously and say "if I could have, this is what I would have entered in Robot Wars," not to build the most bloodthirsty and vicious machine you can while bastardizing the laws of physics in the process. I don't see IRL as running from a fight because the intention with them never really is to fight. Sure, you still can fight them, but it's mainly just for kicks.

I guess a lot of the backlash you're getting is because it looks like you're almost trying to do IRL backwards, as in build an effective DSL standard bot and then modify it so it just barely conforms to the vague rules we have. To go back to my analogy about cars, you're not building hot rods like the rest of us, you're building a race car, throwing on some paint and shiny bits, then asking us all if we want to try and race you (this goes for any "competitive" IRL bots too). Of course we're going to say no, because a) we all know how it's going to turn out, and b) it's not really in the spirit of what we're doing anyways.

IRL bots should never be judged on combat effectiveness because they're not built for combat, but this doesn't mean that they're not a "constructive experience." Sometimes, getting a "dude, that's really cool" from a colleague is worth just as much to someone as beating all HW's in NAR AI.

Offline System32

• Rep: 4
  • Reality
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1439 on: February 16, 2012, 05:18:35 AM »
Naryar, IRL is your child. If it wasn't for you bringing starcore into DSL and then encouraging people like 123 stw, pwnator, urjak and the ounce to abuse the heck out of the standardized realistic rule with constant loopholes like your "narmour" then IRL probably wouldn't exist. IRL is a community patch made to fix the flaws in the realistic rule you abused, thus you made it.

Put this onto your signature if you were part of this crappy fad in '03.