Author Topic: Naryar's DSL showcase - Oldschool DSL-S with 2.2  (Read 377303 times)

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Naryar's DSL Evil Overlord's Showcase - IRL SHALL BE SLAIN BY MY HANDS
« Reply #1380 on: January 02, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »
Chassis is defininitly cool.

Offline Urjak

• Rep: 6
  • Shell Spinner King
    • http://www.youtube.com/wa
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1381 on: January 02, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »
Pretty good, though I dare say it is not DSL Top 3 worthy. :P
Any comments would be appreciated. :D

Offline smashysmashy

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1382 on: January 03, 2012, 12:34:31 PM »
I still can't get over the fact Nary traded efficiency for looks 0.o

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1383 on: February 05, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »
Need to bring this showcase back.

No Name Given, 3mm Ti, NPC fasts, 6 ants, all the rest you can see. BoF2 entry.

The beater bars passing through the skirt hinge are roughly as realistic as that ring spinner rule, so I am confident I will pass.

Have no idea what to do with the additional kg's.

Offline martymidget

• Rep: 7
  • Mr Flibble is very cross.
    • http://tts.imtranslator.n
    • View Profile
    • :)
    • Awards
« Reply #1384 on: February 05, 2012, 05:01:11 PM »
Hypnos or tornados?

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1385 on: February 05, 2012, 05:04:32 PM »
Honestly not liking this; defeats the point of IRL on many levels; it's also unrealistic in that sense due to a skirt passing through a DSL bar.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1386 on: February 05, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »
Hypnos or tornados?

oh wait you were suggesting new wheels.

Tornados maybe, cause the point of the large wheels is to be party invertible. Hypnos wouldn't make it.

But I am worried about the diameter of the wheels having a bad influence on the bot's wedginess.

Offline SKBT

Re: Naryar's BAD AT IRL BUILDING SHOWCASE....
« Reply #1387 on: February 05, 2012, 05:08:16 PM »
Dude seriously put some effort into making it look realistic. Big chassis + slightly less than normal weapons does not equal realistic. Loose the big skirts and try to blend the design better, work on the "flow" of the components. Not just the "it's more effective here..."

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1388 on: February 05, 2012, 05:10:33 PM »
Honestly not liking this; defeats the point of IRL on many levels; it's also unrealistic in that sense due to a skirt passing through a DSL bar.

Where did I say I was an IRL builder ?

Also, if this tiny thing makes it unrealistic, then why are ring spinners allowed when they are so BLATANTLY unrealistic in DSL ? I know the counter-argument to this, and I sure as heck can use the exact same argument to defend the realism of my bot.

You could perfectly cut out the skirt hinge at the middle twice and since it's inside the chassis it is not like it's gonna fall. Hell IRL the sheets would be welded to the chassis frame and no need for skirt hinge, so technically the skirt hinge shouldn't even exist. But I can't BFE these two 40mm Ti's to the chassis, right ?

Dude seriously put some effort into making it look realistic. Big chassis + slightly less than normal weapons does not equal realistic. Loose the big skirts and try to blend the design better, work on the "flow" of the components. Not just the "it's more effective here..."

What ? It could be built and could work well IRL. Isn't that the definition of IRL, or do you guys want it to make even worse because you think it's too good for IRL ?

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1389 on: February 05, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »

Also, if this tiny thing makes it unrealistic, then why are ring spinners allowed when they are so BLATANTLY unrealistic in DSL ? I know the counter-argument to this, and I sure as heck can use the exact same argument to defend the realism of my bot.

You could perfectly cut out the skirt hinge at the middle twice and since it's inside the chassis it is not like it's gonna fall. Hell IRL the sheets would be welded to the chassis frame and no need for skirt hinge, so technically the skirt hinge shouldn't even exist. But I can't BFE these two 40mm Ti's to the chassis, right ?
To be honest, I personally doubt the realism of Ring Spinners myself. However, you're coming up with an excuse for a design that is possible to get IRL in DSL (seriously, if the camera is right you can just move the skirts closer to vertical; if not, then you could remove the DSL bars), unlike Ring Spinners. It's just not even a problem that should be there, considering you could find other extender setups just to attach the skirts; they may be crude, but "Hell IRL the sheets would be welded to the chassis frame", right?
 It's a design you could easily do better, frankly, even beyond the realism issues. It's ugly, got exposed and unprotected motors, and has some of the worst aesthetic component choices you could have made. The weapon itself, but I'd get some wheel protection, and made the wedge better aligned with the chassis corners.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1390 on: February 05, 2012, 05:34:56 PM »
Ugly ? It needs a good skin, yes.

Put the skirt hinge higher ? Not possible, messes with other collision meshes.
Change the DSL bars to shell panels, and attach the motor armor to the top of the shell panels ? Sheck panels doesn't fit, and it would make the bot more fragile overall.
Use 2 multi's  to attach the motor protections ? More weight wasted, and difficult to orient.
Attach the motor protections via multiextenders to the baseplates ? Nope.

Only thing I see that is possibly better than this is using plastic 20cm's and ME's to attach the 4 pieces of armor, actually saving 3kgs but I don't see it helping. Plus it might make it more fragile, and I doubt it gives me the flexibility to put the armor sheets in the right position.

Though I might try that last one.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1391 on: February 05, 2012, 05:39:28 PM »
ugh i didn't see the sheets

I blame my DSi's bad image loading quality

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1392 on: February 05, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
Uuh lazy ? Not really cause I had to snapper load the thing. And it's the best use of weight I can do with this setup.

Put the skirt hinge higher ? Not possible, messes with other collision meshes. I meant the angle
Change the DSL bars to shell panels, and attach the motor armor to the top of the shell panels ? Sheck panels doesn't fit, and it would make the bot more fragile overall. Or how about you screw the exterior armour and just give it better chassis armour? Hate to say it but IRL isn't about "whoamygosh effeciency", more on aesthetics. Your bot is an unsatisfying and ugly compromise between two building styles and TBH it sucks.
Use 2 multi's  to attach the motor protections ? More weight wasted, and difficult to orient. Hardly an issue with the skirt wedges which can be downgraded to less ugly Tit 80cm sheets
Attach the motor protections via multiextenders to the baseplates ? Nope. Provide a reason rather than establishing yourself a state of pointless denial

Only thing I see that is possibly better than this is using plastic 20cm's and ME's to attach the 4 pieces of armor, actually saving 3kgs but I don't see it helping. Plus it might make it more fragile, and I doubt it gives me the flexibility to put the armor sheets in the right position.

Though I might try that last one.

I'm sorry, but you have made a bad general design with a bunch of stupid features that do not belong in the building style. Scrap it and go find actual decent IRL bots (Scrap's showcase, obviously). Either that or take SKBT's advice because TBH he is much better at IRL than you, and still makes decent performing bots.

Or just build standard DSL because you're actually good at it.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1393 on: February 05, 2012, 05:55:35 PM »
^this

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1394 on: February 05, 2012, 06:19:48 PM »
Uuh lazy ? Not really cause I had to snapper load the thing. And it's the best use of weight I can do with this setup.

Put the skirt hinge higher ? Not possible, messes with other collision meshes. I meant the angle Well if I get a higher angle it would NOT protect the piglets. Point of the whole skirt hinge = protecting the piglets.
Change the DSL bars to shell panels, and attach the motor armor to the top of the shell panels ? Sheck panels doesn't fit, and it would make the bot more fragile overall. Or how about you screw the exterior armour and just give it better chassis armour? Hate to say it but IRL isn't about "whoamygosh effeciency", more on aesthetics. Your bot is an unsatisfying and ugly compromise between two building styles and TBH it sucks. Yeah nice way to insult my bot and not give any developed reason why.
Use 2 multi's  to attach the motor protections ? More weight wasted, and difficult to orient. Hardly an issue with the skirt wedges which can be downgraded to less ugly Tit 80cm sheets I use angled 80cm's for a reason. Most notably, less wedgelock, more keeping the enemy bot on the wedge.
Attach the motor protections via multiextenders to the baseplates ? Nope. Provide a reason rather than establishing yourself a state of pointless denial Isn't it obvious that with only multi-extenders I cannot position the sheets in a good way without using even more kg's, due to their attachment points ?
I'm sorry, but you have made a bad general design with a bunch of stupid features that do not belong in the building style. Scrap it and go find actual decent IRL bots (Scrap's showcase, obviously). Either that or take SKBT's advice because TBH he is much better at IRL than you, and still makes decent performing bots.

Or just build standard DSL because you're actually good at it.

Now I am pondering the usefulness of protecting 2 8000 HP motors in an IRL tournament... and I don't find any.

This whole skirt hinge and motor protection seems kinda useless to me now. I should find a way to make it self-right though.

Maybe change the design entirely, or build something moar original.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1395 on: February 05, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
unprotected motors=not IRL. Try again.

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1396 on: February 05, 2012, 09:29:28 PM »

Because I will show you a real-life in-the-metal ring spinner far before you ever show me a real life dual VS that wins by "juggling" its opponents. Your arguments are invalid.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1397 on: February 08, 2012, 05:22:24 AM »
Now for something completely different... and fresh from MIGHTY NARYAR's robot factory

742, the new 741. 1mm plastic, NPC fast drive. Trades chassis armor for stronger front armor and speed.

Offline Pwnator

• Rep: 15
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • http://pwnator.tumblr.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1398 on: February 08, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »
Don't wanna swap the positions of the drive and batteries? Or won't that fit?
Clash Cubes 1 - Grey Matter (Runner-Up)
King of Karnage - Sideshow Freak (Runner-Up, Best Engineered)
Rust In Pieces - Paper Cut 3 (Grand Champion, Most Dangerous Bot)
Wheely Tag Tournament - Ion Thruster (Grand Champion, along with Ounces' DiSemboweLment)
UK vs USA - Dark Striker (Grand Champion)
Rust In Pieces 2 - Claymore (Runner-Up, Favourite Bot)
BBEANS 6 - Infection 4 (Runner-Up)
RA2 Team Championships - Serious Business, Skeksis (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, and Badnik)
RA2 Team Championships 2 - The Other Stig (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, Badnik, 090901, and R1885)
Replica Wars 3 - Abaddon (Runner-Up, Luckiest Bot)
BroBots - wheebot & yaybot (Runner-Up)
Robo Zone 2 - Dipper (4th place, Survival Champion, & Best Axle Bot)
ARBBC - The Covenant (3rd place, BW Rumble Winner, Most Feared BW)

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1399 on: February 08, 2012, 06:14:33 AM »
Don't wanna swap the positions of the drive and batteries?

I don't see your point. Why should I do this ?