Author Topic: Jets' DSL showcase  (Read 19314 times)

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Jets' DSL showcase
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2011, 01:57:34 AM »
Jet-speed ? Well welcome back.

Good to see that your building is pretty good too.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2011, 03:08:47 AM »
Bad extender work on LW but its good.

Whoever this guy is, I think he got off to the best start at advice-giving that any newbie ever has...

:welcome

Indeed, as much as I knew there'd be a comment like that. :P

Anyway, was bored and messing around with concepts:

It's complete fail, but wanted to see if AW inertia side hammers are possible. They probably are, but their effectiveness is questionable. :P
Yeah I showcased a HW one but it never worked. Click tested many inertia things and said that only flippers were effective.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Over 10 years and still can't build HWs.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Andle#5961
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2011, 03:12:43 AM »
Still don't know how inertia flippers work, are there any tutorials/posts anywhere which explain it? ;o

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2011, 03:17:35 AM »

Here's Clickbeetle's BOTM bot that introduced us to the concept.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2011, 03:25:02 AM »
That's amazing. o.O

Offline martymidget

• Mr Flibble is very cross.
    • http://tts.imtranslator.n
    • View Profile
    • :)
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2011, 04:46:27 PM »
There's also inertia powered popups as well....but they aren't so good. Apparently I came up with the idea (such a terrible bot it was :P)...

123s bot:

Nar made one as well, but I don't want to spend the rest of the night hunting for pics xD

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2011, 04:26:34 PM »
I also find it hard to understand and build inertia flippers Jet.

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2011, 04:28:12 PM »
I've built one, and it sort of worked, it was a blatant klone of ludicrous speed though :P

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2014, 11:57:45 AM »
My god, 3 years. It warms my heart to see that everyone is still loving and playing the game, keeping the forums alive and kicking. :'D

Second time I've disappeared, but logged in or not, I've never forgotten the game since I picked it up what was probably a good eight or so years back; occasionally busting out the RA2 again and tinkering about. Then I caught wind of DSL 3 via a youtube video by Thyrus and decided to revisit the forums for the first time in too long; once again. xD

It feels like an almighty necro of a thread, but policy is policy, and my old showcase still exists; all 5 pages of it. :P Been fiddling around with DSL3 for the past two days since seeing it, and am having a blast, albeit I'm way out of touch. Thought I'd stick these up whilst having a break from building, still have some questions regarding DSL3. These aren't exactly 100% optimised for combat efficiency, mainly just me seeing what can be done with the new extenders/parts.

Plastic 3
Dual Astro drive
2 Battlepacks and an Ant

Still not entirely sure of the best way to go about making a flipper wedge without the good old black one that I've known for so long. This is the best I've managed thus far, but if there's any alternative that I'd obviously have missed out on, hook a guy up.

Plastic 1 (lol)
Dual NPC Drive
2 Battlepacks

Sort of a Bigger Brother-esque inspired build, not exceptionally effective but not exceptionally ineffective either. Second of the two builds involving me testing out the new burst-piston things, and I must admit I love them, however good they may or may not be in comparison to their alternatives. Again, any information regarding it would be appreciated. It's a bit underweaponed as a result of me having too much fun with the new extenders/armour pieces; it has a nice reach and sort of works until the battery drains to the point where the retraction can't flip the axle back enough, at which point it just becomes a rather crappy poker.

Tite 3
Dual NPC Drive
2 Battlepacks and an Ant (overpowered, sort of a lazy, have space-will fill solution, a chassis redesign was unlikely to help.
2 Large CO2 Tanks

Eh. Fail. An attempted different take on the standard juggler/gut ripper which fails partly due to the slow speed (dat extender work tho), and partly due to the fact I'd forgotten just how strong Storm Burst pistons are, much less two of them. This thing throws itself vertically when firing, and whoever's on top with it, meaning it gets no more than one hit on the target consistently and is just meh. This was primarily a chance to have fun with exo-skeletal designs. I'd been looking around showcases and fell in love with Thyrus' style of RL building (other showcases are available :P he's just the first one I saw coming back), and decided to take a stab at it, failing horribly in the process. Oh well, any feed back is appreciated and I might rebuild it if there's anything worth salvaging. As I stated earlier in the thread (years agololol), heavyweights were never my strong point, and I always find myself ending up with excess weight which inevitably goes into stupid crap like extenders. :P

Edit: These are png/Jpg and not BMP right? I'm a bit technologically retarded, apologies if they're bmp.

Offline KOS

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • NoxoraGTR
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2014, 12:37:24 PM »
That heavyweight looks awesome, good work :D

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2014, 12:50:24 PM »
Welcome back once again man :D

I am really liking that MW. Good work.

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2014, 12:56:27 PM »
O god why.

RIP my original idea/attempted Flight or Fight clone, you shall not be forgotten... however hard it may be to see you beneath the extenders.

Offline Tweedy

• Tweedy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2014, 01:09:41 PM »
I like the extender work on the body but the flipper just looks a bit cluttered and messy.

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
Dude! I`m sorry to be the one to deliver this message but you have to stay. If not you will be banned.
So stay and keep building awesome stuff like that

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »
Haha. ^^ Meh, last time I said I'd stick around, and I disappeared again, albeit due to rl issues. Feel like a dick about it, especially since I was close with quite a few people but I suppose the past is the past. That said, my account's remained unbanned/unremoved for 7 years, so maybe it's a sign. xD Even if I don't actively post a lot I'll without a doubt be watching teh forums.

Currently installing 123ai to see if I can get back into the swing of DSL-S, then maybe try out stock again. Wish me luck. >,<

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »
so awesome

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2014, 03:34:02 AM »
I must admit, 123AI is proving to be a challenge. The quality of the building is insane, everything's so sturdy.

Tite 1

Just a little attempt at a rebuild of a previous LW. Sort of works, get's wrecked by a lot of the HS/Drum/SnS's though.

Edit:

So this happened...

Plastic 3
I figured that in the realm of tiny armoured boxes, I should try and learn how to also make tiny armoured boxes. I suppose it could have gone worse for a first real attempt. Is there any way to cut down on excessive gyro dancing once the weapon is thrown off balance? Or is it just a case of have a wide wheel base and pray to god?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:31:48 AM by jet-speed »

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2014, 07:26:29 AM »
The second one looks pretty good. Sadly there's no real way to stop gyro dancing.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »
You can avoid gyro dancing by simply stopping your motor. Though it's hard to do in AI.

And yes, wide wheel base.

If I were you I would change these plastic extenders to titanium on the first one, and remove the flippermakers. Not sure if the CF extenders are useful either.

Offline Jet-speed

• The Transient
  • Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2014, 08:39:11 AM »
Yeah. :\ Only reason that I ideally want to limit gyrodancing without turning off my weapon is that as you said, AI won't do that, and when I inevitably get around to ai'ing things for tests/fun it'd run into problems; will have to try and give my LW's wider wheelbases then.
    I wish I knew how to attach wheels to motors mounted on the back of large 120cm triangle skirts, I've been trying axle loading but they just don't seem to want to budge. Will fiddle around with the first design and see if anything comes of it, atm it's just me trying to build stuff that can hold it's own against a reasonable amount of 123ai, still struggling. xD

In the meantime, DSL3 is still too fun. ._.

Oh yeah, and it's NPC drive.

With this I conclude that I srsly need to use GIMP better, along with installing something other than the stock AI on my copy of DSL3; I guess that's another day.