Author Topic: Expertas's bot showcase  (Read 2221 times)

Offline rlolas

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« on: June 04, 2008, 01:16:10 PM »
well actually i'm not a pro at making bots so dont laugh at me and plz give me some tips and advice on making DSL bots :) P.S. I like disc bots :)

I made this bot when i didnt had DSL on me btw this bot was awesome b4 DSL when it came it was junk metal.....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 04:17:11 PM by rlolas »

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 05:06:35 PM »
You have way too much empty space. Shorten the chassis.

And do not add stock parts (classic, like Zteks and black batts), to DSL only parts. They are unbalanced.

Also, have a look at the BeetleBros website (go to homepage), they have some very nice tutorials right there.

Oh, and that 70kg hammer on a plastic extender makes me smile.

Offline rlolas

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 11:03:13 PM »
Quote from: Naryar;9109
You have way too much empty space. Shorten the chassis.

And do not add stock parts (classic, like Zteks and black batts), to DSL only parts. They are unbalanced.

Also, have a look at the BeetleBros website (go to homepage), they have some very nice tutorials right there.

Oh, and that 70kg hammer on a plastic extender makes me smile.

Thx about that that really helps me a lot :)

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »
Some general tips and advice (Note: this advice is all for STOCK, NOT DSL) :

-make the chassis as small as possible (just enough to fit around components)

-when building the chassis, do not click on the armour tab. If you do not, a glitch will give you an armour called DSA (double strength aluminium) that is as light as aluminium, but stronger than steel.

-Lightweight robots generally only need one Nifty battery for power, Middleweights need one blackvolt, and heavyweights generally need only two blackvolts

-Balance your spinning weapons

-Razor tips have 500 hp and all other weapons have 1000 hp

-Razor tips, iron spikes, and maces are the best weapons for spinners.

-Generally, try to use shiny hub wheels, because they are the lightest wheel. If you can't use these, use rubber wheels or granny guard wheels.

-add wedges attached to snapper burst motors to help get under opponents

-when you master the basics, more advanced techniques such as stacking, eFFe glitching, and snapper/axle loading will help your building.

And don't use custom components for serious battling and showcasing. It will only get you flamed.

If you want more detailed advice, follow one of the links on the main page to the beetlebros site if you haven't already.

And the hammer on the plastic extender amuses me too...

Offline Dexterhunter

• Rep: 1
  • spiders live outside
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 02:51:19 AM »
This is DSL not stock. Half the stuff doesn't apply  in DSL.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:08:56 AM »
Actually, only advices 1, 8 and 9 apply in DSL.

I'll have some advice on your last bot, the horizontal spinner and hammer bot.

-Rebuild the chassis. Use DSA. Im pretty sure you can have a chassis half that big with the same components. Dont be afraid to make something other than a rectangular chassis, but the less angles it has, the best it is. Reduce the chassis height as far as you can.

-If the chassis is small enough, you could put grannyguard wheels or even shiny hubs on your drive Zteks. Less weight than the N12s (even if i like them) and the slimbody wheels.

-Add a Nifty and get rid of these small pink batts. 2 pink batts are as heavy as a Nifty, but the Nifty is twice times more powerful. The current bot is slightly underpowered. Remember, the bigger is the batt, the best is the power/weight ratio.

-Put the control board on top of one of you black batts (use Shift to raise/lower the component). That makes for more space.

-Add an extender and maces on the other side on each of those spinners. so that the spinner will be barely symmetrical. Take example at Berserker and Tornado. Those have weapons put on a Ztek and HP Ztek, respectively. If you rip off one of their weapons, they'll start to dance.  

-The hammer is fine.

Offline rlolas

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 05:31:10 AM »
I used all ur advices and made this

I that it does damage like the 1st one and rides like it but has no flipping protection but still its great 4 me :)

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 06:42:10 AM »
The chassis himself is seriously better.
But you should stick to HP Zteks. Redbirds are less efficient. Try not to use them.
Use more weapons on a weapon head, too. That'll double the damage if you have 2 weapons. That is the first version of the hammer was better.

Ok i felt kind so i built you this for illustrating my advices

The hammer head is the same as your first version (two ice picks). The spinners now are doubled, and have two weapons. For the weapons, I rotated the maces on their attachment points before finding a correct position. Often rotate a weapon if you cant fix it.

EDIT: all the maces are only fixed to the small 20cm extenders.

And as said, two lighter weapons is better than a heavy one. Yes, this is a flaw to normal physics, but it is the game.

Here is the bot file too:

https://gametechmods.com/uploads/files/unknown.rar

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 06:39:51 PM »
A couple of flaws in Naryar's bot:

- use tribars over extenders
- It dosen't need pink batteries. Unless you are building an antweight (less than 125 kg)or beetleweight (less than 175 kg) they are next to useless.
- When you use HPZtek motors for drive, use rubber wheels if you have the weight. Grannys are much too big if it isn't invertible, and are heavier too.

But do you see how much empty space there is in Naryars compared to yours? In his there is barely any room left for any components.

Also, if you have the weight, build up to the 800 kg limit.

Offline rlolas

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 12:13:26 AM »
Quote from: R0B0SH4RK;9184

- It dosen't need pink batteries. Unless you are building an antweight (less than 125 kg)or beetleweight (less than 175 kg) they are next to useless.
- When you use HPZtek motors for drive, use rubber wheels if you have the weight. Grannys are much too big if it isn't invertible, and are heavier too.

But do you see how much empty space there is in Naryars compared to yours? In his there is barely any room left for any components.

It's a good robot i know but have you known this that his robot is made backwards? :DD

Offline rlolas

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 12:17:49 AM »
Can someone tell me what stock means and can anyone give me some advice on making discbots? :)

Offline Cooker

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 01:53:06 AM »
Quote from: rlolas;9201
It's a good robot i know but have you known this that his robot is made backwards? :DD

It doesn't mater. You can change the forward heading in the overview tab.

Comment to last post:
1# Stock are all the parts that come with the original game.
2# We can not spoonfeed you all that. Try to find out yourself. How about reading the tutorials that came with the game and the tutorials of Clickbeetle on Arthrobotics.com?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 02:07:06 AM by Cooker »

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 08:19:37 AM »
Quote from: R0B0SH4RK;9184

@R0B0SH4RK: Yeah... I know he has some flaws.
-Batteries: Agreed and i was aware of it. I had no space for a nifty.
-Grannies: I didnt thought at all to rubber wheels. But I wanted it to be invertible, even if the ground clearance is effectively the lowest you can have if you use rubbers.
-Tribars: Same, but if i wanted to put 2 maces on each attachement point I wouldn't have the weight for it.

I built it fastly and i wasn't planning to use it at all, just because i believe he is pretty mediocre for fighting Starcore 3 bots. But I wanted the thing to be close to his original bot and following my advices.

@rlolas: And what do you exactly call a discbot? Uniquely a face spinner (that is a spinner with the discs put vertically and perpendicular to the front of the robot, exactly like Coal Miner and like some of yours?)

And i agree with Cooker. Do not only use the Arthrobotics website, but also have a look to all of our showcases.

Offline rlolas

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 08:48:38 AM »
Something like that disk:

What i mean is the disk must be infront not facing opponents i know this idea it was my best when i didnt knew the placing thing(clicking on other green things on a component...) :smiley:

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Expertas's bot showcase
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 09:05:07 AM »
This is called a horizontal spinner...

-The wheels are too big
-This hammer isn't really efficient, ill suggest having a longer hammer arm.
-You have too much batteries: try replacing all these by three orange batts (less weight), you have the space.
-The two frontal wheels are vulnerable, you could eventually add frontal defense or some spikes. Frontal defense is more valuable than side defense (but the second one isn't worthless)
-If it isn't already made, make sure you use the drive version of the magmotor and put the at mid-height.