Author Topic: Diablo reinstalls RA2  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Diablo/Funky Junkie

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Diablo reinstalls RA2
« on: May 01, 2019, 06:49:22 PM »
Hi, I'm back after a long absence. So much has changed and now I suck at building. Here is one of my first attempts, "EnterBotName". It's a MW flipper with razor tips and a titanium sheet for armour. It's pretty bad though, I've won a couple of fights with it but I need to start again I think.

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 00.46.01.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 00.46.09.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 00.46.17.png

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
Re: Diablo reinstalls RA2
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 07:05:47 PM »
Welcome back. Since you are last here, DSL-IRL have become very popular, with a Discord server for RA2 if you are interested, just saying. Also, there's many new developments like RA2CF, DSC IRL Packs, OBJRA2, etc. I recommend getting DSL 2.2 Complete Edition for those, as well as read the IRL guide to know what the standard is like these days.

Anyway for the bot itself, the main thing is that you must not use skirts, as they are paper thin and would bend in real life. Replace the protective skirt with plates, and wedging skirt with wedgelets or panel and wedge edge on a hinge

Offline TheRoboteer

• Mr Big Blue Flipper
  • Rep: 9
  • "I HATE SEBASTIAN COE!"
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TheRoboteer#8784
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 07:33:41 PM »
Welcome back. Since you are last here, DSL-IRL have become very popular, with a Discord server for RA2 if you are interested, just saying. Also, there's many new developments like RA2CF, DSC IRL Packs, OBJRA2, etc. I recommend getting DSL 2.2 Complete Edition for those, as well as read the IRL guide to know what the standard is like these days.

Anyway for the bot itself, the main thing is that you must not use skirts, as they are paper thin and would bend in real life. Replace the protective skirt with plates, and wedging skirt with wedgelets or panel and wedge edge on a hinge
He may not necessarily be going for IRL Billy, so the skirts could well be fine.

That said, if you are, Billy's advice holds true. I'll defer to someone with more knowledge of DSL-S than myself to advise you on how to optimise your bot for that meta, but in terms of IRL, you'll probably want to swap your weapon burst from the JX that you're using currently, to a VDMA R/P, as they have much more power for their weight. I don't know if you have DSL 2.2 installed, as this bot doesn't have any components present in that version of the game, so here's a link to an install of 2.2 with a bunch of additional mods that are common in building these days: http://www.mediafire.com/file/396q48h0222adap/DSL_2.2_Complete_Edition%25285%2529.zip

Welcome back to the forums by the way. Hope you stick around :D
Notable Tournament Performances:
The Beginner's Guide to IRL:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/tutorials-and-tips/irl-a-beginner's-guide

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 07:37:01 PM »
Are you the dude who made the spam team way back for starcore?
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 08:49:48 PM »
Yeah this is clearly not an irl build or intended to be so lets talk dsl standard

Nice flipper, though those motors are definitely slow for a middleweight and there are a number of improvements that could be made to improve the build. Mainly, flippers tend to do better when the flippers are large, i.e. 80 or 120cm angled sheets, and most robots use a more wedged chassis style to accommodate that (though it isn't necessary). The razors are going to hurt the effectiveness of the bot because it reduces the amount of area has for the flip zone and makes flips harder to pull off, I would recommend moving them more towards the top to prevent robots from going over but be careful that it doesn't affect the bot's ability to self-right. Lastly skirt hinges that sit on a metal hinge make for much wedgier wedges and that should help a lot with getting under other robots.

Offline Diablo/Funky Junkie

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 06:08:36 PM »

Thanks, I see the game has way advanced since I was last here! I'll give IRL a shot, looking around all of the showcases here, the bots look pretty realistic. Will give the wedge mods a shot.

He may not necessarily be going for IRL Billy, so the skirts could well be fine.

That said, if you are, Billy's advice holds true. I'll defer to someone with more knowledge of DSL-S than myself to advise you on how to optimise your bot for that meta, but in terms of IRL, you'll probably want to swap your weapon burst from the JX that you're using currently, to a VDMA R/P, as they have much more power for their weight. I don't know if you have DSL 2.2 installed, as this bot doesn't have any components present in that version of the game, so here's a link to an install of 2.2 with a bunch of additional mods that are common in building these days: http://www.mediafire.com/file/396q48h0222adap/DSL_2.2_Complete_Edition%25285%2529.zip

Welcome back to the forums by the way. Hope you stick around :D

I don't think I have 2.2 installed, I am using a Mac these days so I used the installer that seems to have 2.1. I don't seem to have the burst motor you mentioned so will see if I can find 2.2. I did install IRL to have a play with it and to try and recreate my own bot  :bigsmile:

Are you the dude who made the spam team way back for starcore?

That's me, I was active on the ARC and RA2 forums back in the day, good to see a familiar face. I see the meta has moved on from pop-up wedges now.

Yeah this is clearly not an irl build or intended to be so lets talk dsl standard

Nice flipper, though those motors are definitely slow for a middleweight and there are a number of improvements that could be made to improve the build. Mainly, flippers tend to do better when the flippers are large, i.e. 80 or 120cm angled sheets, and most robots use a more wedged chassis style to accommodate that (though it isn't necessary). The razors are going to hurt the effectiveness of the bot because it reduces the amount of area has for the flip zone and makes flips harder to pull off, I would recommend moving them more towards the top to prevent robots from going over but be careful that it doesn't affect the bot's ability to self-right. Lastly skirt hinges that sit on a metal hinge make for much wedgier wedges and that should help a lot with getting under other robots.

Good spot, the bot is too slow and doesn't have enough pushing power. Would an NPC work for this weight class? The intent for the razors was to stop bots from going over the top but they're just getting in the way so I'll adjust them. Thanks for the wedge tips, will look into that.

Offline UberPyro

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 6
  • Well, here goes.
  • Awards GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 10:49:59 PM »
Would an NPC work for this weight class?

NPC fast is the ideal motor for a fast middleweight. Hazardous Contraption is a good example that uses them and it also makes use of the hypno wheels that provide ultra low ground clearance along with the npcs. Though I'm not sure how much weight you have to play with considering that the bursts and batteries probably take up a good amount of weight.