Author Topic: Devastator's Showcase  (Read 18113 times)

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 1
  • The Resident Cloudcuckoolander
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TBD#0958
Re: Devastator's Showcase
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »
So I do believe I'm starting to get a hang of this popup thing.

Pretty snappy, somewhat tough armor, rips stuff up good, and seems like it has a good wedge (and by "good" we mean "wedged itself underneath the walls of the test area")

I'm also starting to have the feeling that if maaaaybe I delayed entering blades of glory for a few days I'd have gotten a much better chance at winning a round instead of entering with the practically-a-byebot-in-that-tournament Excelsior.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:12:13 AM by TBD Devastator »

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2014, 12:11:24 AM »
I'm boring you guys all to death with my super generic popups, aren't I? xD

But anyway, have another. I promise this will be the last popup for a while, I swear.

This one sacrificed the armor of Chieftain for MOAR RAZORZ and MOAR NPCS. Other than that, not too much to say about it. It's preeeetty generic.

This one I need a bit of help on. Can't really figure out an optimum support structure with the space and weight avaliable (the image is of the bot without supports, which is why it's so underweight and looking impractical) Tried steel skirts on flippermakers, but the bot maulerdanced whenever it made a left turn and flipped over when it made a right turn. Other ideas were either too fragile or over the weight limit.

Offline rnifnuf

• Forum Linguist
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Proponent of competitive sonnet improvisation
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2014, 01:02:05 AM »
I'm boring you guys all to death with my super generic popups, aren't I? xD

Pah, I've seen worse. I've made worse (See: Cutting Wedge II).

That said, Challenger is not DSL-Standard because the razors cut through the batteries. Move the BSG-200s and/or the ants to fix that. Everything else should be fine.

As for the HS... What you need is a wide support structure that somewhat sticks out in front of the bot, preferably 80cm Angled Titanium skirts on extenders (Poly extenders should be fine). All of the flippermakers have two side attachment points. Put your extenders on those, and then have your skirts on the end of those extenders with the pointy tip facing outward. The rest of the bot is pretty good, but if you're really desperate, then replace the hypnos with wide ants.
Follow me on Twitter? I'd like to see you try!

Stock Showcase     DSL Showcase     Ironforge Showcase

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2014, 12:50:30 AM »
So, something like this? I substituted Aluminium for the polys so they're not one-hit-knockoffs for other VSes.

I also took a similar design and made a heavily modified version of Tigercat, which is even more of a Maclone than the original Tigercat was. The poly rods sticking out the back are pretty much required so that the bot doesn't flip itself when turning.

Also, I got bored. When you get bored, you make crappy half-weight UHWs. When you make crappy half-weight UHWs, you showcase them.

When you showcase them, you get bashed. Don't get bashed. Buy DirectTV see if you can get ideas.

So yeah, thinly veiled request for new concepts I could work on, since I'm pretty much building and rebuilding the same bots.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2014, 06:02:55 AM »
try all the bot types ?

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2014, 06:21:44 AM »
Well, I had hammers and a VS on the back, but that kinda went overboard so I just replaced it with a bunch of irons.

aka could've been worse.

Offline rnifnuf

• Forum Linguist
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2014, 06:01:29 PM »
So, something like this? I substituted Aluminium for the polys so they're not one-hit-knockoffs for other VSes.

(Image removed from quote.)
Exactly. Though check to make sure that the ground clearance (distance between the bottom of the bot and the floor) is as low as possible. One thing you could do to potentially lower the ground clearance is reduce the angle at which the skirts are tilted (relative to the chassis, of course). Whenever we talk about things being "static" or "moving," we are referring to the thing relative to the chassis.

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2014, 03:00:39 AM »
Today's post has something to do with a tournament (maybe) and a hilarious failure at a new bot type (definitely) due to being half-asleep (might be a lie)

Veeeeery slow spin-up time, and I'm guessing I used about 500kg on armor which I have the feeling you wouldn't even need on an SnS.

But just so this post isn't entirely craps and giggles for you folks, have a new HS. Built it off of Infighter after getting bored at school, the supports for the motor are probably real awkward and overcomplex but I liked how it turned out. Handles real well and hits surprisingly hard.

Offline Scrap Daddy

« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2014, 07:33:38 AM »
You've got something there with the second one. That disc looks sweet. Not sure about the plow on top though.

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2014, 09:45:33 AM »
Yeah that plow looks weird.
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2014, 07:47:33 PM »
I agree about the plow being useless. Needs to be invertible btw, and use less sh**ty weapons than ripping teeth. Looks cool though, as all of your bots :D

Also not sure about the first one. What does it do ? Is it just a SnS ?

[/drunken advice]

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2014, 11:27:44 PM »
I always seem to think that Plows make for good top armor. I dunno why, must be the hitpoints. :S

Yeah, Super Rotary Warhead's an SnS, although it takes a long time to spin up and spins very slowly due to having far too much armor and only 2xNPC-F drive. I was considering making it 4x NPC-Fs and stripping the armor so I could mount an additional arm on a tribar or something.

(btw, said bot was inspired by the CC rules, since HW SnS with cube chassis)

Offline rnifnuf

• Forum Linguist
  • Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2014, 03:15:06 PM »
Yeah, Super Rotary Warhead's an SnS, although it takes a long time to spin up and spins very slowly due to having far too much armor and only 2xNPC-F drive. I was considering making it 4x NPC-Fs and stripping the armor so I could mount an additional arm on a tribar or something.

Do this. A slow SnS is about as ineffective as... a slow SnS. Also, if the SnS is fast, then the bot's chassis can't be reached as easily as the chassis of a slow SnS.

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2014, 11:43:19 PM »
Made some changes to S.R.W., I have the feeling I'm still messing something up though.

Still heavily armored, but I stripped off the extra crap slapped onto the chassis for more drive and an extra arm. Still follows CC rules though I think, since still HW SnS with cube chassis.

I also got bored again, so have a robot boxer. I couldn't figure out how the heck I'd be able to make a robot able to do a hook, but I got sorta-jabs and sorta-uppercuts working.

Shame I can't figure out how to make a walkerbot either, because right now the translation from the top to the bottom looks horrendous.

Also keep in mind that this is totally a serious bot because how can you not be serious when you have such a nice hat?

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2014, 12:17:42 AM »
How tall is the first bot. Also what's on the end of the DSL bars? Second one is interesting.

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2014, 02:15:31 AM »
The first bot has a cube chassis, so it's pretty tall. Could shave some height off of it, but it was designed according to the Clash Cubes rule set since that seemed like it might be showing up soon.

There's one 70KG sledge on the end of each of the DSL bars, and nothing else.

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2014, 11:29:26 PM »
Alright, so we bricked another USB drive. Always fun.

But we still have bots! Most of these were the results of boredom at school, so they're not exactly great. Could eventually build better things from them though, given advice. Also, short descriptions! Yay?

This may or may not be something for Orphans. Effective? Probably not. But I think it looks semi-neat so yeah.

This bot I swear is less like a bot and more like a helicopter. Pulls Rage IIIs all the time, oftentimes staying in the air far longer than a bot should reasonably be.

Next, proof that this user is not very manly according to Nar's bot archetypes. Sure, it's really darn fast, but it only has 8 axes and 1 razor. Not exactly prime rammer armament.

Lastly, a semi-jokebot. Sure, two JX-Ses on a MW should kick a bot's rear, but not when it can't get under much of anything.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2014, 11:37:24 PM »
Flipper-Actually that doesn't seem to bad. Try turning the end flipper makers 90 degrees so they actually get under stuff. The unsupported Etek is a bit awkward as well.

Angled HS-Needs longer and stronger supports if it keeps flipping. You can save 6kg by connecting the supports right off the ME instead of adding a flippermaker to the equation.

Rammer-Needs work. Usually you try to get as many weapons as you can on the thing while not compromising its speed. Yo need to find that balance and remove the wheel guards.

Other Flipper-Again, not bad. It's pretty a pretty cool design. The only thing is that the large JXs sticking off the shell plates doesn't seem very irl.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2014, 01:36:08 AM »
I'd downgrade the drive on Whippet. NPCs are way overkill.

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2014, 08:52:47 PM »
So over the past month or so I've been building bots during lunch break at school. Here's a selection of the ones I've made that are mostly finished, none of them have names though. Quality is also probably iffy, since the great majority of these were 10-15 minute builds.

Horizontal bar spinner. MW or CW, depending on chassis armor.

Angled bar spinner. MW, Titanium 3mm methinks. A bit unstable, so has polycarbon bars jutting to the sides.

Sawbot. LW, Aluminium 1mm. Essentially a downsized Dauntless.

Hammerer. MW, Titanium 5mm. Uses some cheatbot components (the hammers and Judge bursts)

Horizontal bar spinner. LW, Plastic 5mm armor. The bar might be a bit too high up on the bot to hit most other LWs.

Hammerer. CW, Titanium 3mm armor. Uses Judge Bursts and the cheatbot Frenzy hammers.

True popup (might be just generic popup, /shrug). HW, Titanium 5mm armor. Has some stacked ant batteries in the back.

Sawbot. LW, Titanium 3mm. Cambered wheels.

Hammerer, might be a hybrid. CW, Titanium 5mm. Ingame name was Raptor Attack but that sounded a bit cliche.

Horizontal disc spinner. MW, Aluminium 5mm. Disc might be too high up to hit most items well.

EDIT: This too.

Horizontal bar spinner. HW, Titanium 5mm. Skirts are mounted on burst pistons to shove robots away and give time for the saws to be brought to bear.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:44:23 AM by TBD Devastator »