Author Topic: Devastator's Showcase  (Read 18105 times)

Offline cephalopod

Re: Devastator's Showcase
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »
Just a little feedback on the hammer itself (the design and such, not taking into account aforementioned synergy issues) - I imagine it will make the bot quite unstable having that weight suspended up there, and also that Polycarb extender is very very exposed, I'd upgrade it (if you do keep those weapon systems and also get rid of a piston or 2 and arrange as suggested, it'd be very easy to still keep it as a CW).
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »
I liked the direction you were taking the drum bot before so many people started telling you to do exactly the opposite as another did.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 1
  • The Resident Cloudcuckoolander
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: TBD#0958
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2013, 01:05:08 AM »
In answer to Helloface, I've not a clue.

Two new presentable bots rolled off the brain today, one of which was a minor tweak to Peacemaker and the other was an attempt to create something that could last more than a minute or so in a fight. The others were mostly UHW shell spinners and hammerbots and some bots that use crackpot tactics (hammerbot with a drum replacing the hammer, anyone?)

Ditched the hammer, and added the grand total of one extra razor. I'm terrible at space usage.

This is the aforementioned durable bot, and boy howdy did it succeed at being so. I've gotten a few matches where it's taken 70k damage points to finally bring it down, though it's usually more along the lines of 30-50k, which is still monstrously durable in my books (most of my bots usually go down at about 10-20k).

The only problem is, it can sure take a beating, but it can't dish it out. The only weapons are the beater bars arranged on the frontal armor, which is ... less than adequate.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2013, 04:10:19 AM »
Use only one piston on the first one, and razors/small DS teeth on the second one.

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2013, 08:54:46 PM »
Here's a cruiserweight HS that derped out of the RW series 8 tournament partly because it was unrealistic and partly because I'm lazy. It's really destructive for the roughly thirty seconds it has its spikes. The spinner has two discs, each of which has a full row of hypnoteeth.
It is, unfortunately, hilariously wasteful in space.

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
  • Rep: 24
  • I make rap for people of Serbia
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »
This design doesn't need metal hinge wedges. Give the discs and motor some support/protection. Skin it up nice too.

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »

If there is anything you should never ask me to do, it is skinwork. I'm horrific at trying to make skins. :c
But I did give the motor some "protection" plus some sheetwork so it doesn't blap into the ground constantly.

how2protection

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »
Better. Get the wedge out though. You can put something small beneath the discs to keep them off the ground so they can still do damage. Also, I would have the supports coming off the corners of the robot at a straight angle an meeting somewhere in front of the motor.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2013, 04:37:06 AM »
That protection's gonna get ripped off at the first hit...

Eteks generally have enough HP for you to leave them outside. If you really want protection, go with a plow.

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2013, 11:39:39 AM »
I think he's trying to build IRL, Nary.
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline AlexGRFan97

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -7
  • Cheeki Breeki.
    • AlexGRFan97
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2013, 12:04:12 PM »
With that many teeth, you might aswell rebuild it into DSL-S.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »
I think he's trying to build IRL, Nary.

No, he's not. He doesn't even KNOW what is IRL and probably mixes up both styles, and it is his right.

Damn it, why does every time a newbie comes, newfags start to go all "IRL vs DSL-S" like if it was the most important thing in the world of RA2 ?

Lay off with the IRL and DSL-S things for now. He first needs to know how to build better.

Offline AlexGRFan97

• Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -7
  • Cheeki Breeki.
    • AlexGRFan97
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »
Yeah, this is one thing I agree with Naryar on. From what I've seen so far, there is way too much free space inside the robot, hollow discs are used instead of an armored or solid one, the skirts are mounted on the crappy door hinges which need power to work and the wheels are unnecessarily externally mounted, even though there's plenty of space for them to be placed internally.

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2013, 02:50:41 AM »
Alright, after a seeeeerious case of botter's block and procrastinating on improving my older bots I decided to revisit the wtfinsanity that was Client Crasher. I managed to downsize it to a heavyweight, although it kind of lost its main gimmick in the process.

My other idea was putting smaller shell spinners where the saw motors are now and then putting more shell spinners on those shell spinners but that ran into a wall due to the 7 part limit and it also doubled the weight. Ick.

Additionally, here's a modification to Monitor. The weapons have been swapped out for a mix of razors and DSL teeth, plus a DSL bar for even more reinforcement (tried putting another DSL tooth on the front of it, but it wouldn't fit unless I put it at a really weird angle). Internals are the same, so instead have a picture of the bot's really, really bad skinwork.

(also: feel free to yell at me over building new bots instead of improving my old ones. I'm a moron like that :V)

Offline Tweedy

• Rep: 3
  • Tweedy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2013, 12:41:18 PM »
The 2nd bot looks incredibly messy, the hinge looks like it shouldn't be there and the rest looks like you gave a blind man a welder and half an hour.

Offline helloface

• Rep: -11
  • 090901's cumslave
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Helloface#2112
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2013, 06:14:25 PM »
I actually liked them.

The first one wouldn't work though, since it wouldn't be realistic enough for IRL style building and it's not effective enough for DSL-S style building.

If you don't know what that means, I'll be happy to explain them to you. I don't want to be confusing newbies :P
Oh I'll be doing some banging.......

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2013, 12:16:35 AM »
So apparently the only time I can reliably get ideas for bots is reeeeally late at night.  :rage
Katyusha got another revamp, and I did some messing around with flippers (I've found that I'm bad even by my standards at creating a flipper).

The discs are kept up by a titanium sheet underneath the bot, which is the same as the first revision. However, this version only has one titanium sheet so that it doesn't jut out in front of the bot, like it did previously. The smaller chassis hindered attempts at making the side supports for the motor, but it's slightly better now that it doesn't use the no-health-at-all angle connectors and has less of a frontal hole. There's also some rear "armor" now, for all the good that does.

Here's one of the two flippers I was messing with earlier. It sure has a lot of oomph behind it, but the problem is getting under bots in the first place (unless it goes from behind, it's not very good at doing so). The massive amounts of batteries are for powering the flipper motor.

And here's the other flipper, based off of a stripped-down version of Mecha Mook. Quite like the way this one drives with the angled motor placement for some reason.

Also, helloface, please keep your commentary on the bots themselves and not on whether they are "DSL-S" or "IRL" because like Nar said I'm focusing more on trying to build a non-crappy bot (and sorta failing, but that's for another day).

Offline MassimoV

• I Move Weight
    • MassimoVTV
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Mourning Glory
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2013, 12:18:11 AM »
HS looks better than before. First flipper seems fine. Straighten that drive out on the last one.

Offline TBD Devastator

• Beetleweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2013, 03:41:47 AM »
More activity in the bot building department(yay?). Perhaps my theory on only being able to build bots at two in the morning is correct.

Warhawk got the motors changed to straight configuration, as opposed to the old angled config. Seems like it works better for practicality, despite the amusing driving shenanigans that resulted from the angled configuration.

Made a slight foray into the really little stuff too, and built an antweight bot. It havoks whenever it tries to turn for whatever reason, but it's really fast in a straight line.

Then I turned that general shape into a SHW as usual and called it a day. Waste of time, y/n?

Offline rnifnuf

• Forum Linguist
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 5
  • Proponent of competitive sonnet improvisation
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2013, 12:29:43 PM »

Follow me on Twitter? I'd like to see you try!

Stock Showcase     DSL Showcase     Ironforge Showcase