Author Topic: Deadmetal showcase  (Read 5079 times)

Offline DeadMetal

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Deadmetal showcase
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 04:18:31 PM »
You should have a go at making a scorpion tail that pivots forward from the back with two circular saws on the end. Guaranteed headache.

Offline DeadMetal

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 04:31:04 PM »
Has anyone ever tried making a pressure weapon such as Razors beak? Does the game recognise crushing/pressurised damage?

Offline Scorpion

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
Well, you can use a burst motor starting at the down position like razer in dsl.
When it comes to a servo style crusher though, I started a thread asking about that kinda thing, and people seemed to say that it wasn't really possible, but I think jobloe was working on something like it, don't know what he managed to do with it though...

Offline NFX

• Rep: 11
  • SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 04:35:25 PM »
I don't think so. The best way to get a Razer-esque weapone style would, in my view, be to build a clamping sawbot. There was one built in last month's Bot Of The Month tournament called Omnivore, it's in SKBT's showcase as well. And I think the clamping arm design would probably best be described as a side hammer. They can be effective, but on the whole they're a tricky design to build well.
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline DeadMetal

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 04:37:19 PM »
Another thing is I think a razor reconstruction bot would get its ass kicked in RA2 - the AI would just run away - the fiend.

Offline Scorpion

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 04:40:19 PM »
Another thing is I think a razor reconstruction bot would get its ass kicked in RA2 - the AI would just run away - the fiend.
Errr, you should go in exhibition mode, there are replicas of real life bots in there to fight against.

Offline DeadMetal

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »
Oh I didn't realise how many RL bots were i nthere, I only had a punt around there, how silly do I look.  :laughing

I couldn't resist :|

Offline SKBT

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 06:29:55 PM »

Omnivore is the coolest clamp I have made.  My most effective is Death From Above. (it's on the exchange)

My best advice is use linear accuators. Servos are a pain in the butt to work with because you need counterweights to lift anything heavy. You also want good wedges and to make a \_/ shape with plows.

Also welcome to GTM 

Offline DeadMetal

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 06:27:40 PM »
I've created a new bot and I'd like to record its first battle. Can anyone recommend the best free screen recording program?  I've noticed the DSL videos on Youtube are very good quality.

Offline Scorpion

• Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »
I've created a new bot and I'd like to record its first battle. Can anyone recommend the best free screen recording program?  I've noticed the DSL videos on Youtube are very good quality.
FRAPS is the one I believe everybody uses.

Offline DeadMetal

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Thanks for that, I'll try it out. I promise to upload the new bots first fight win or lose :P

Offline NFX

• Rep: 11
  • SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2010, 07:20:23 PM »
FRAPS is the one I believe everybody uses.
Yeah, but you only get a limited trial version for free. The free software I use is WeGame, but I'm not sure if WMM opens the files up at all, so I've got another free piece of software called VirtualDub, basically a video editing and splicing package, where you can save it in multiple formats.
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline DeadMetal

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2010, 08:42:16 PM »

This is my second DSL bot: M1 Vortex.

Heavyweight class.

The weapon system is pretty self explanatory.

This bot is invertible unlike my last bot, and I wired the controls so that its easy to control either way up.

I had hammer/axe bots in mind while I was making it so the titanium top plate was added.

---

This was the original plan.

I made a mistake by choosing motors that were geared too high to be drive motors - lesson learned!

Changing the motors meant I needed less battery space, so I was able to add the side arms, worked out better in the end.

This is the first battle. An exhibition vs Snow Job. Have a watch, its a bit good.

Any thoughts?

Offline S.T.C.

• Rep: 3
  • Not to be confused with STDs.
    • www.youtube.com/user/Shad
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2010, 09:05:15 PM »
Smaller chassis
Are the sawblades really that effective?
Overpowered
Multiextenders FTW
Better wheels
Is it realistic? I think the sawblades are going through the motor.
Back armor not needed

Offline DeadMetal

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 09:13:14 PM »
The chassis is a small as I dared, I wanted some give to protect the insides from hits.
Look at the vid
Power is everything
They do indeed
The wheels are the best ones to keep the bot tipped forward
The blades go under the motor component
Since I only have two drive motors and they are quite exposed i felt added protection was a good idea

Offline DeadMetal

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »
I'm still not happy with skirting, Does it only really work when its totally horizontal? Just can't seem to get under the other bots with it. I guess that's the point of them though.

Offline Somebody

• Rep: 13
  • CP: +2
    • SomebodyofGTM
    • View Profile
    • My site
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »
Overpowering is wasting weight, it has no benefits. Also, you don't need to protect the innards from hits. Anything attached to the baseplate (motors, batteries, etc.) is indestructible.
I built that big robot on that TV show that time

Offline DeadMetal

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2010, 09:41:57 PM »
I was thinking about keeping the repair times down - keep a bit of distance between the hull and the internal components and maybe make it further in events.

Offline COOLRUNNER87

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Failure is the only option!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2010, 09:44:03 PM »
Some other observations:

As mentioned earlier, you don't really need to have the Base Extender --> T Connector --> Perm 132 combination. The perms can be put directly in the robot just like the way you have them without using the extender work. It'll save you weight at the very least.
Also, you should look into more powerful weapons. 4 Sawblades will fall off easily if you face some of the more powerful opponents in DSL 2.1 (the original Grog, The Resurrection for example).
Your robot is also extremely overpowered for what it is. All you need for each motor is about 1 Ant battery (for a bare minimum of 4 in the robot).

There are other things that can be mentioned, but I'll leave that to someone who has a better knowledge of RA2 than I do.

Offline SKBT

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2010, 09:47:59 PM »
Don't use castors unless you are building in stock. What we meant by a wedge was use a metal hindge wedge not a skirt hindge wedge. There is a difference in performance the metal hinge wedge gets under the skirt hinge 9/10 times. Sawblades typically are better if placed vertical instead of horizontal. You also only need one ant battery per spin motor. When I say this I mean any motor that spins from piglets to dual perms.