Author Topic: Cody's Bots  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Cody Furlong

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
Cody's Bots
« on: July 02, 2015, 09:23:02 PM »
This is the design I am currently attempting to build. A verticle disk spinner simular to Nightmare, but with two disks instead of one, and hopefully will be able to operate upside down when it get's flipped. The main issue I am having though is the supports for the front, to hold the disk up from hitting the ground. I don't just want to stick a couple of extenders down then wack some wheels on the end. Since those don't look very good, but there doesn't really seem to be any other better looking options for it that I have discovered yet. I am also not quite sure if those fire axes are the best teeth for it or not.

Current Stats & Parts...

Current Weight: 471.9
Armor: 1mm Steel
NPC-T64 X2
Perm 80 EL X2
N-12 Wheels X2
PC 545 X2
Large 2 DSL Disk X2
Fire Axe X4
Ax 2550 Control Unit
Baseplate Anchor X2
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been.
You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.

- Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Cody's Bots
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 01:08:32 AM »
literally just use extenders. maybe plows on top of these.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 03:40:02 AM »
Stalk some recent showcases for a while, I'm pretty sure some nightmare-y bots have been made fairly recently that you could take ideas from :)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Shield

• The question isn't who will let me.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • It's who will stop me.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 06:08:44 AM »
Nightmare style legs are already heavy on their own, but to build them so they're invertible would mean another set on top. If you're looking to build a vs in general, I strongly suggest you use Heavy Metal Noise styled supports as they seem to be the most efficient.

However, nightmare styles legs are not completely out of the question. A little difficult, but not outta the question. Easiest way is to use flipper makers and tack on extenders or shell panels to make it look less skeleton-y. Like I did with my own Nightmare knockoff, Venum 2.

If you're also looking for huge knock back power like nightmare had against warrior skf's minibots, heavier weapons are advised.
beep beep

Offline Cody Furlong

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 05:17:37 PM »
So after testing and working on this design for awhile, I decided that it wouldn't work as a heavy weight, I just did not have the wepon power to compete against the other heavyweights. I could win test matches against Team Red Zone's Second Sentenel, and Biohazard, but only by points, after they broke their flipping arms off on me. But could not beat Dreadnught. It just didn't have the mobillity to be able to move around very well, nor did it have the strength of weapons to go head to head that way.

So I desided to try it as a middelweight instead, however, it doesn't seem to work very well in that weight class either, it still suffers from poor mobillity, and weak weapon strength. Other than changing the drive moters out to lighter weight ones, I had to reduce it to a single disk weapon instead of two. Here's a new pic of it now, though I might end up scraping the design.

You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been.
You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »
That actually looks pretty cool.
BTW, due to a coding error in RA2, all spin motors only draw 10 amps, which means you can use only 3 ants for this robot. (4-6 ants if you want the batteries to last longer)
You should check out Live Designs AI too, as it's made up of more "realistic" looking bots than the standard DSL AI.

Offline Merrick

• Rep: 3
  • Half-decent IRL designs and terrible antweights.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 06:39:29 PM »
That's a pretty neat way of doing the support. Give it a nice skin and swap out the fire axes for something like beater bars or Hypno teeth and it'll look great.  :thumbup

Offline Cody Furlong

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 07:11:58 PM »
That's a pretty neat way of doing the support. Give it a nice skin and swap out the fire axes for something like beater bars or Hypno teeth and it'll look great.  :thumbup

How would I give it a skin? Never did that before.

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 07:40:06 PM »

You can do one of two things. Paint it inside the texture library, or export the paint job and use your out of game painting skills to give it a skin where the bot lab cannot provide. I suggest doing the latter since you can do so many great paint jobs and even make them in a higher resolution than in game.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 07:42:39 PM »

https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13126.msg574338#msg574338

Offline Cody Furlong

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »
Playing with a new heavy weight design for an invertible spinner bot I came up with this, in an effort to create somethign that could beat Dreadnught. This design does seem to work pretty well against most bots I tested it against, with a few exseptions like that cheating Grog. Though I'm not really a fan of the treads, they're just really way too big. The two things I don't like moist on this bot are it's height and width. However I can't lower the body any closer to the ground, without the disk hitting for some strange reason, despite it looking like there is plenty of clerance for it. The width is pretty much fixed too due to how needlessly oversized the treads are, and there's not really enough space in the bot for a 4WD setup instead.

Offline Bobyasianboy

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 6
  • ****in' magnets, how do they work?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »
Ironforge has an array of different sized tracks if you want to try that. It looks pretty nice though, you could try sticking some hypno teeth on a drum instead of using the dreadnaught disc. It could use a skin too, there are plenty of tutorials on the forum to get you started and you seem like the artistic type, make it look all fancy-like.

Offline Cody Furlong

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 05:18:23 PM »
You have that right. Form has always been greater than function for me, I alkways try to make my bots look godd and berform good.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 12:47:23 AM »
lots of empty space...

also how heavy it is ? it looks more like a MW to me, or have you put Steel 10 or something on that ?

Offline Cody Furlong

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 02:35:31 AM »
lots of empty space...

also how heavy it is ? it looks more like a MW to me, or have you put Steel 10 or something on that ?

It is 727.7 in weight with 10 MM aluminnum armor.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 04:24:54 AM »
yeah. doesn't need that much armor. and 10mm alu is awful.

make it so it has a wider stance and add another dreadnought weapon ? rebuild the chassis first

Offline Cody Furlong

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 02:10:49 AM »
A new lightweight drumbot design I dreamed up last night. It did pretty well in the tournament season, getting fourteen match wins, and only five losses out of the nine events I played it through. Despite that though, I feel like it could be better, I'm not quite happy with the shape of the body, though not really sure what I could do to change it. The other issue I found during the fighting, is that the two front supports on either side of the drum seem to be taking the brunt of the damage from opponents. Most of it's five losses, came from when a certain bot's weapon would bounce off the drum and hit the body supports to either side of it. Making the drum wider, or adding on some kind of armored wedges to the front would probably help in that regards. Though it is so close to the weight limit for a lightweight, that I doubt I could do either one.

Weight: 248.3
Armor: 3mm Titanium

Offline G.K.

• Rep: 10
  • Striving for a good personal text since 1994.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 05:53:10 AM »
I like this design.

If you want to put armour on the wedges, I'd suggest looking at True Love in Team Arthrobotics in DSL. If you need weight, are there any lighter wheels that will keep it invertible?
My above post explains everything about everything.

Host of: Wheely Tag, Back To The Beginnings, BTTB 2, BTTB 3, BTTB 4, & BTTB V.

Heavy Metal: Champion (Mockery of the Whole Concept)
Robotic International Wars Series 1: Champion (Minifridge 6)
RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Clash Cubes IV: 5th place (Fretless)
BBEANS 6: Rumble Winner & 6th Place (Minifridge 4)

Offline Cody Furlong

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 04:14:19 PM »
I like this design.

If you want to put armour on the wedges, I'd suggest looking at True Love in Team Arthrobotics in DSL. If you need weight, are there any lighter wheels that will keep it invertible?

The only other wheels I know of are the shiney hub cap ones, but it would only shave off 2kg of weight, not really enough for anything. Plus they're wider for some reason, so would clip through the sides of the bot. I'm thinking that I might redesign it and remove the rear slope, as well as the one behind the drum.

Offline Cody Furlong

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 03:40:10 PM »
Failed redesign attempt of my lightweight drum bot. Changed the body to a more interesting shape while making it a bit lighter weight as well. Changed the wheels to smaller, lighter weight ones too. Despite that however, I had to change the armor to a lighterweight, weaker one, in order to add on the extra front 'protection'. I say protection loosely, as in testing the flipper segments just get ripped off, after one or two hits from the bots it's supposed to be protecting me from. They seem to just make it harder for the drum to do it's work mostly. The bot has also become slower moving as well it seems.