Poll

What have you modded within RA2? Only indicate the ones that you have successfully created a working result from.

.BOT Files
23 (14.9%)
.GIB Files
4 (2.6%)
Component.txt Files
20 (13%)
Component.gmf Files
11 (7.1%)
Arena.gmf Files
11 (7.1%)
Arena.py Files
11 (7.1%)
AI.py Files
11 (7.1%)
Bindings.py Files (AIing)
27 (17.5%)
.EXE File (including the use of sergepatcher or CheatEngine)
4 (2.6%)
Reskins (components, arenas, UI)
32 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: October 15, 2012, 03:45:20 PM

Author Topic: What do you mod? (2012)  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
What do you mod? (2012)
« on: September 14, 2012, 03:45:20 PM »
Since my last poll is pretty dated, I figured it was about time that I re-asked this question. It won't provide a level of skill in each but it will provide a sense of the basic understanding of people for each subject.

Although there are types of modding other than the ones listed, I figured that these are the most predominate and expandable. Let me know if you feel that something should be added.

Here are a couple sample questions if you are looking to give more input: (edits have been made to this for clarity)
-How much experience do you have in a specific category?
-What do you want to learn more about?
-What do you like modding?
-What mod types are you most interested in getting? (one of the categories in the poll)
-What is your favorite mod? (more specific than just DSL unless talking about the GIB work)

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What do you mod? (2012)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »
I've modded:
.Bot Files
Component.txt files
Component.gmf Files
Arena.gmf Files
Bindings.py Files (AIing)
Reskins (components, arenas, UI)

.Bot Files-Only editing the name of bot, the weight class and changing one component for another.
Component.txt files-Name editing/Damage output editing/ File location direction changing.
Component.gmf Files-Colour changing/Texture changing.
Arena.gmf Files-Coordinate editing and Arena resizing
Bindings.py Files (AIing)-Basic Ai'ing of bots
Reskins (components, arenas, UI)-The one I have the most experience in, i've done basic reskins of arenas and a bit of UI reskinning (See Punch Out UI)

Binding.py file editing, so I can make custom ai for bots.

-What do you like modding in?

I personally like the Arena.gmf editing the most.

-What mod types are you most interested in getting?

?

-What is favorite mod?

I personally liked Space Arena, with the different components and the whole look of the thing.

Offline ianh05

• Rep: 4
  • Stock AW Builder and Tourney Host!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »
I have enough experience AI'ing to be able to AI basic bots (nothing fancy though). I have reskinned arena's and components before too.

Arena Modding.

I don't mind AI'ing every now and then, I have enjoyed putting some AI packs together.

Arena's that provide us with new gameplay options.

-What is favorite mod? (more specific than just DSL unless talking about the GIB work)
Robo Zone Arena :) it has 2 brand new modes which can be toggled simply by the hazard check box.
Check out my UI Improvements topic for stuff like longer team/bot import lists:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13324.0
How to make awesome splashes with paint:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13310.0
My showcase filled with antweights:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=1595.0
How to AI: For newbies (with pics!):
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=13814.0
Best tournament results:
Tag Team Challenge and CombatAnts 3: runner-up
Around the World: 3rd place.

Offline Mecha

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 7
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »
.BOT Files, Component.txt Files, Bindings.py Files (AIing), and Reskins (components, arenas, UI).

I've attempted other stuff but it's not on here because it didn't end well. :P

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »
1-How much experience do you have in a specific category?
2-What do you want to learn more about?
3-What do you like modding in?
4-What mod types are you most interested in getting? (one of the categories in the poll)
5-What is your favorite mod? (more specific than just DSL unless talking about the GIB work)

1- ive messed around with bot files a bit and made a few bfebots (like that dsl 8-sledge vs i made some time back), component .txt, edited some arena .pys so the hazards so a ton of damage (it was just changing a number though), reskinned an arena and component, and i have a firm knowledge on how to copy and paste bindings lines ai my bots.
2- id like to learn how to mod .gmfs but ive never been able to sit down and actually learn how to do it
3- bottttttts
4- more arenas ai packs and ai .py's pls
5. any ai pack/new arena really

edit: This post sucks tbh
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:49:38 PM by Mr. AS »
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline G.K.

• Striving for a good personal text since 1994.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 04:41:35 PM »
I've done everything except GIB's and EXE modding. Not done anything except AI'ing and BFE'ing since ~January though.

I've made my own arena, have been on-and-off making another for over a year. I've made new components and skins, and I've also hybrided AI.py's. I've forgotten most things recently but will prolly pick it up quickly. I'd class myself as an advanced AI'er.

Everything, especially creating hazards in GMF's, and GIB files.

GMF editing. BFE is fun too.

-What mod types are you most interested in getting? (one of the categories in the poll)

As ian suggests, new game modes in individual arenas. I really want to know how to do 3 vs 1 as well.

-What is your favorite mod? (more specific than just DSL unless talking about the GIB work)

Madiaba's test result screen with ACAMS in.
My above post explains everything about everything.

Host of: Wheely Tag, Back To The Beginnings, BTTB 2, BTTB 3, BTTB 4, & BTTB V.

Heavy Metal: Champion (Mockery of the Whole Concept)
Robotic International Wars Series 1: Champion (Minifridge 6)
RA2 Team Championships 1 & 2: Champion (High Speed Train & Upthrust - as part of Naryar's Not Quite Evil Council of Doom)

Runner Up in: The Amazing Rage (Team Fedex), R0B0NOVA (Zaphod Stock), Steel Warzone (Inception of Instability), Box of Nightmares (Gicquel), Wheely Tag (Minifridge the Second)

Clash Cubes IV: 5th place (Fretless)
BBEANS 6: Rumble Winner & 6th Place (Minifridge 4)

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 06:25:30 PM »
1) Not a whole lot, let's be honest.
2) BFE. It should stop being such a taboo that only the elite know about.
3) Awful reskins :D
4) New game modes. An updated, fully House-Botted (etc) RW arena would be amazing, as would an RW gauntlet.
5) I love Mad's test garage, with the ramp, but the RW arena is close behind.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline NFX

• Rep: 11
  • SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 06:34:36 PM »
How much experience do you have in a specific category?
I'm slowly gaining experience with BFE, with the chassis height first on Frequency, then what I put together with Quark. Hopefully I can keep going with this.

What do you want to learn more about?
Anena gmf files. Ideally, I'd like to make my own arena at some stage if I can get a little understanding of it.

What do you like modding in?
BFE, I reckon. It opens up such a lot more possibilities than just staying in the bot lab.

What mod types are you most interested in getting? (one of the categories in the poll)
.GIB files, rearranging the menus, that sort of thing. I've changed some of the images, but I'd like to have a cleaner and more functional layout than the normal one.

What is your favorite mod? (more specific than just DSL unless talking about the GIB work)
Arena mods. Coming up with new ways for people to play and take advantage of their surroundings is pretty compelling to me.
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 06:53:19 PM »
UI modding in Photoshop. I had been making a full UI mod for DSL, but lost a majority of the files in a hard drive crash and abandoned the project.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 09:11:13 PM »
I can do most of the stuff there, but I usually have trouble with GMF vertex editing.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 12:39:26 AM »
"All of the above" option would have been quicker :P

Id like to think large amounts in each except the .exe.. only just messed a tiny bit here and there myself and with Serge in the past

Really .exe stuff is the only part I havent touched heavily.. then again I have forgotten so much though lack of constantly doing it 

As in programs? photoshop, fireworks, abc, python, notepad++, notepad, 3DSM..

.exe, wanna see some boundaries pushed ;)

Mine.. No Im not up myself.. but I love seeing my own work come to life after starting at a wall of text in notepad
Specifically Some of the Stuff Gazea has helped me put together in recent times is really awesome.. I just wish I havent been letting him down with my lack of time.. guys got some awesome hidden talent ;)

Offline martymidget

• Rep: 7
  • Mr Flibble is very cross.
    • http://tts.imtranslator.n
    • View Profile
    • :)
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 05:57:11 AM »
How much experience do you have in a specific category?

Bindings the most, messing around to perfect certain bots lines without playing around with the .pys', though I'm going to start on that fairly soon. Some experience in BFE, limited in the skinning department since I can never get anything to work right (lols), even tried making a new component once, and failed :P

.py's in general, want to mess around with them, create custom AI's, see if I can make some tweaks here and there to existing ones and to make some bot types work- possibly even to a competitive level, if possible. And I want to make an arena or two. That would be cool.

AI lines. I just mess around with them until I've got a bot that works to its maximum potential under the .py I happen to be using.

.py's, getting skinning to actually work, and proper full on BOT editing from scratch, rather than messing with just one or two components, name or chassis height.

What is your favorite mod? (more specific than just DSL unless talking about the GIB work)
First Blood and Space arena.

Some of the Stuff Gazea has helped me put together in recent times is really awesome.. I just wish I havent been letting him down with my lack of time.. guys got some awesome hidden talent ;)

QFT

Offline Scorpion

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 07:12:34 AM »
I have done some BFE editing in the past, and edited component.txt files, and some more complex work with AI, but all this was over a year ago

Everything really, arena modding, GMF editing, more of the complex side of things.

Bindings out of what I can actually do so far.

GMF, EXE

The obstacle course, robot wars arena.
Component wise, space arena and backlash.

Offline Gazea2

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 9
  • the one and only
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 07:21:38 AM »
I've done everything except for .EXE modding.

Made a few lulz bots with BFE and can re-size the chassis. I can also replace a component with another etc etc.
.GIB files are ma thing. I've done quite a bit with them, including things that I didn't know were possible.
Component .txt and .gmf files - made my own components through editing these. Know .txt's like the back of my hand.
Arena .gmf - Re-sized arenas, the usual stuff.
Arena .py - Not a load of stuff with this but I know my way around it.
AI.py files - See above.
Bindings.py - I can AI fine, can usually troubleshoot problems too.
Reskins - My skin pack. 'Nuff said. Pretty much re-skinned EVERYTHING.

.GIB files, I'm really interested in them although I know a lot already. Also Arena.py and AI.py files.

UI mainly, along with arenas.

Looking forward to some .exe mods hopefully

I personally think some of my work is pretty cool, apart from that I really like First Blood and Space Arena.

Specifically Some of the Stuff Gazea has helped me put together in recent times is really awesome.. I just wish I havent been letting him down with my lack of time.. guys got some awesome hidden talent ;)

AWWH YOU SOFTY YOU xD
Learnt from the best. ;)

Offline Classicus

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 5
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
I can skin and work with components, everything else I have little knowledge of.

Offline Trovaner

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 06:33:40 PM »
The voting period for this has now expired and all votes have been finalized.

Here is some additional statistics which can be concluded from this poll:
  • An average of 4.05 votes were cast by participating members.
  • 60.53% of the participating members are able to BFE (much higher than last time).
  • A little less than a third of the participating members were able to program in python or modify GMF files.
  • Though considered the easiest, reskins have not been made by 100% of the voters.
  • Very few of the participants were able to mess with the EXE and live to tell the tale.
  • More people have BFE than those that have messed with Component.txt files.
  • Roughly 73% of the active community participated in the poll (where the active community is derived by the average number of voters in BOTM for this year).

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Hm. Interesting that BFE has come so high up despite no-one actually putting a guide out. Seems like it's a 'secret thing' that isn't a secret anymore.. can we get some info out there? Because I don't even know myself.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Probably Rob

• The Forgotten Obscure Orgasmic Mime
  • You might want your lips around my silent chorus
    • RobotMPire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »
Hm. Interesting that BFE has come so high up despite no-one actually putting a guide out. Seems like it's a 'secret thing' that isn't a secret anymore.. can we get some info out there? Because I don't even know myself.

And I still have no idea what the acronyms of all the glitches mean.

Offline Trovaner

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »
Bot File Editing (BFE) has two really good tutorials ATM (this one and this one). There isn't much else that you need to know but if you have any questions feel free to ask.