Author Topic: The 100 Most Memorable RA2 Robots Of All Time  (Read 58210 times)

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Top 100 RA2 Bots of All Time
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »
Wolverine
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »
I was going by memorability and/or innovation.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2012, 10:38:29 PM »
I think there should be one list for DSL and one for Stock.

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2012, 11:32:23 PM »
thats a lot of bots, better to do the top 50 of each

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2012, 03:33:06 AM »
we're gonna keep fighting over what characteristics a bot needs to be in top 100 for a while.

List simply needs to be robots that got RA2 from Start to Present.. New Glitches, Designs, Ideas, etc (not including one trick pony robots from BOTM and the like.. eg: half of my robots) something that made people give the idea a crack themselves..

Its a celebration of 10 years.. not really a comparison of well built robots.. thats what tournaments are for..

May I draw your attention to the big red bold italic underlined letters. Any deviations from this are missing the point entirely, as we're looking back and celebrating the game and the community. If anything, the list should be titled "the Top 100 Bots that Shaped RA2" or something like that; purposely vague and very inclusive. And still, I would argue that 100 is too long a list. I would prefer a top-10 myself and not much more.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2012, 04:20:56 AM »
I feel if we had something as small as the top 10, it wouldn't  be fully recognizing the entire history, and we could probably all name the 10 that would go in it right now. This gives more possibility for discussion. But the '100 Bots That Shaped RA2' seems pretty cool.
And I vote uncategorizing it :P
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2012, 07:51:58 AM »
50 is the best number.

The only way to do this: bots that have revolutionized RA2 should be there, and bots that are the best of their kind should be there. DSL should not be included. Nothing against DSL, but it's NOT the 10 year anniversary of it, it's the 10 year anniversary of RA2 Stock.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2012, 07:56:45 AM »
50 is the best number.

The only way to do this: bots that have revolutionized RA2 should be there, and bots that are the best of their kind should be there. DSL should not be included. Nothing against DSL, but it's NOT the 10 year anniversary of it, it's the 10 year anniversary of RA2 Stock.
By that logic, nothing with Snapper IIs or AI components can be on the list as those components weren't available at release.

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »
50 is the best number.

By that logic, nothing with Snapper IIs or AI components can be on the list as those components weren't available at release.
And no popups because they didn't exist back then?

The logic there tries to look at bots that either are iconic to the history of Stock RA2, or helped shape the old Stock into what it is today, i.e. bots using AI parts, new bot types, etc. Aside from people building Stock versions of DSL bots, DSL hasn't really changed Stock over the years.

I'm actually fine with a top 10/25/50/100/whatever Stock + DSL bots though...and I haven't even touched DSL.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »
50 is the best number.

And no popups because they didn't exist back then?

The logic there tries to look at bots that either are iconic to the history of Stock RA2, or helped shape the old Stock into what it is today, i.e. bots using AI parts, new bot types, etc. Aside from people building Stock versions of DSL bots, DSL hasn't really changed Stock over the years.

I'm actually fine with a top 10/25/50/100/whatever Stock + DSL bots though...and I haven't even touched DSL.
Nah, it's that normally you can't use AI components without exterior moderation. DSL is an exterior mod too. Popups can be made without the use of modification, so they're legit, unless they would use snapper IIs. At least with the "no DSL" logic anyways.

Offline Urjak

• Rep: 6
  • Shell Spinner King
    • http://www.youtube.com/wa
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »

These two lines do not add up. DSL has been a LARGE part of RA2 for many years, so ignoring the other half of RA2 bot building seems ridiculous. This is the tenth anniversary of the game. Should't we be celebrating all aspects of it's evolution through the years, instead of arbitrarily cutting out an entire part of RA2?
Any comments would be appreciated. :D

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2012, 12:08:57 PM »

These two lines do not add up. DSL has been a LARGE part of RA2 for many years, so ignoring the other half of RA2 bot building seems ridiculous. This is the tenth anniversary of the game. Should't we be celebrating all aspects of it's evolution through the years, instead of arbitrarily cutting out an entire part of RA2?

THIS

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »

THIS

Agreed.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2012, 01:23:59 PM »
Sooo can we actually select what criteria are for the top 100 RA2 bots of all time rather than more pointless fighting ?

Maybe we should do this : select four basic criteria (battle worth, originality/innovation, fame and efficiency), note each bot on each of thes (on a scale of 10), add up, and rate the top 100 according to the total points earned.

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2012, 01:31:16 PM »
Sooo can we actually select what criteria are for the top 100 RA2 bots of all time rather than more pointless fighting ?

Maybe we should do this : select four basic criteria (battle worth, originality/innovation, fame and efficiency), note each bot on each of thes (on a scale of 10), add up, and rate the top 100 according to the total points earned.
That's just getting too official and technical. Just go with memorability or contribution to building. As in, bots that either represent RA2 or have helped it become what it is today.

Offline Jack Daniels

• Rep: 9
  • Losing Tournaments with Style
    • matt.morrill.12
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • My abandoned online RPG project.
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »
How big of a Poll can we make with this place anyways?  ;D

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »
I would prefer a top-10 myself and not much more.

Go through the first robots to demonstrate glitches and you have overfilled that list though :/

50 is a nicer number or... why constrain to a number? Simply "Robots that shaped the history of RA2"

Then none loose out nor end up with gap fillers in the list..

Offline Sage

• RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2012, 11:35:41 PM »
lol DSL fanboys

also, snapper II is stock. it was in the game. nothing added. stock.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: June 04, 2012, 12:19:38 AM »
I would prefer a top-10 myself and not much more.
Go through the first robots to demonstrate glitches and you have overfilled that list though :/

Demonstrating a glitch =/= great influence. In fact, many times innovative design has had a far more profound impact. For example, I'd say that Absolute Chaos was a far more influential bot than GODMODE, even though AC used no techniques that we didn't already know how to do.

Hell, even though GODMODE was the first real demonstration of the power of Hax Mode, I'd argue that the glitch was a minor blip on the radar. Basically, we found a way to break all the rules within the confines of the game, then promptly got it banned from all practical use. Sure, we finally found the final step for ultimate stacking in-game, but what really changed? Not much, save for an extra rule inserted in at the end of tournament rules banning its use.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: June 04, 2012, 01:28:27 AM »
lol DSL fanboys
lol stock fanboy