5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 316428 times)

Offline TDS

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3!
« Reply #1020 on: April 27, 2016, 10:08:21 AM »
you are about 2 months late to the party TDS :D

There are two things I will never be accused of, being nice and being prompt :P

Offline jackster96

• Lightweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1021 on: April 27, 2016, 12:55:14 PM »
Has anything been said about flippers or axes needing co2 in the game or is it going to be the same as ra2?
Hobbies; table tennis, archery, pool, gaming pc and xbox.

Offline Smirkeh

• Antweight
  • A miserable british battlebots fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1022 on: April 27, 2016, 02:37:22 PM »
I think it might still be on the old RA2 system, but as always could be modded into
*snickers*
lol, he said Lifting arm

Offline courthousedoc

• Derpasaurus Rex
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -2
  • AKA Okamifan1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • A Taste of Deco
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Okamifan1 #2120
« Reply #1023 on: April 27, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »
At first I was not that excited as I thought it was a simple cash grab due to Battlebots returning. But now that I am seeing how well the dev's are communicating with the community. This has the potential to be the best game in the series so far. To be fair May cannot come soon enough, anyone have a time machine?

Aside from that I do find it cool how they hid a reference to GTM in the HTML code. I think the first thing I will build when it releases is a bot designed to find the games limits. In other words I will try to break the game first before actually building something serious. What are you guys plans?
Let me tell you something I learned through life... The weakest link in the chain isn't always the failure point.
Steam:
Tournament History:
My Showcases:

Offline Scorpio

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1024 on: April 27, 2016, 05:50:07 PM »
Probs just remake some of my DSL and Ironforge bots, as well as some from Stock.

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #1025 on: April 27, 2016, 07:09:52 PM »
That mean we can mod Robot Arena 3?

Offline HX_

• Rep: 1
  • What about a flamethrower?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1026 on: April 27, 2016, 08:01:10 PM »

The world is your oyster kid.
leaving this space blank until RA3 is released.

Offline Smirkeh

• Antweight
  • A miserable british battlebots fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1027 on: April 28, 2016, 04:36:00 AM »

The developers say that it's possible yes, it's a PC game on the Unity engine after all.

That being said RA3 being based on unity is going to turn people off the game for . . . unity reasons that us knowledgeable ones know ;-)
*snickers*
lol, he said Lifting arm

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #1028 on: April 28, 2016, 04:54:55 AM »
At first I was not that excited as I thought it was a simple cash grab due to Battlebots returning. But now that I am seeing how well the dev's are communicating with the community. This has the potential to be the best game in the series so far. To be fair May cannot come soon enough, anyone have a time machine?

Aside from that I do find it cool how they hid a reference to GTM in the HTML code. I think the first thing I will build when it releases is a bot designed to find the games limits. In other words I will try to break the game first before actually building something serious. What are you guys plans?

Maybe a proper flaming memorial mk. II

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1029 on: April 28, 2016, 09:01:21 AM »
A tree bot. Designed to resemble a certaon seacreature

Offline ecolusian

• care to spare a chromasome for this poor sperglord?
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Keeping TRB in check since 2010
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1030 on: April 28, 2016, 09:41:05 AM »
to make replicas like how the great sonny resetti does
"Two things are infinite:the universe and human stupidity;and I\'m not sure about the universe" -Albert Einstein
*IF YOU ARE NEUTRAL IN THIS SIG BUSINESS PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG*

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1031 on: April 28, 2016, 11:19:11 AM »
Remake Flying Squirrel with a rounded back, taking advantage of the chassis layers

Offline Scorpio

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1032 on: April 28, 2016, 07:00:13 PM »
Do you guys think there will be a cheatbot3 code for this game? Also, do you think flamethrowers will make an appearance outside of any prospective cheats, seeing as they've been unbanned IRL?

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1033 on: April 28, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
What are you guys plans?

i'll probably make a popup i guess

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #1034 on: April 28, 2016, 08:17:31 PM »
Do you guys think there will be a cheatbot3 code for this game?
I hope so.  It would follow tradition.  Though if they really want to get creative with the naming process, I'd love the code to be "ch3atbot" personally.  ;)

Offline Vincent

• Antweight
  • DSL2's UI/Logo Artist. Better known as: Nacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1035 on: April 29, 2016, 04:05:49 AM »
The developers say that it's possible yes, it's a PC game on the Unity engine after all.
That being said RA3 being based on unity is going to turn people off the game for . . . unity reasons that us knowledgeable ones know ;-)

I'm not convinced you know anything about Unity.

It's pretty much the best choice there is, but it's still very much how the developers will pull it off, given the choices they have.
Where did I go?   Everywhere else. There's a world out there.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1036 on: April 29, 2016, 08:09:57 AM »

It's pretty much the best choice there is, but it's still very much how the developers will pull it off, given the choices they have.

Watch this

Then realize this is the DOOM ENGINE
the original 20 year old doom engine

People can do crazy, great things if they keep plugging stuff into existing engines, but its a lot of work and most developers prefer just using a better existing product.  Unity is commonly chosen for bad, low budget games because of its cost, so it has a rep of being a bad, low cost engine.

Offline Vincent

• Antweight
  • DSL2's UI/Logo Artist. Better known as: Nacon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1037 on: May 01, 2016, 12:07:28 AM »

Watch this
- snip -

Then realize this is the DOOM ENGINE
the original 20 year old doom engine

People can do crazy, great things if they keep plugging stuff into existing engines, but its a lot of work and most developers prefer just using a better existing product.  Unity is commonly chosen for bad, low budget games because of its cost, so it has a rep of being a bad, low cost engine.

You're just shooting yourself in the foot with that statement. Yes, people commonly choose Unity for many reasons...  I don't see how that make Unity a bad engine to develop on just because it had attracted a lot of low-budget indies developers, even one-man dev. Unity itself is already a good software that has many options and tech behind it, problem is it has gotten almost too easy for new game developers to get into it and released half-baked games because they were trying to make profit on Steam via Green light.

Smirkeh was implying that Unity isn't a good game engine because it's not Python-based like RA2 was; and all the modders who spent too much time on RA2 are going to face "culture shock" when they have to learn how to use Unity's system before they can start modding.

Truth is... there's a lot more experienced modders from the Steam communities than any modders left in RA2/GTM community will able to do for RA3.  Most of them don't even know RA3 exist till it finally come out.
RA3 will grow big and faster than RA2 will ever hope to see in its lifetime.  Well...  assuming the game doesn't suck. :/
Where did I go?   Everywhere else. There's a world out there.

Offline Knight

• Antweight
  • Rep: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1038 on: May 01, 2016, 05:09:31 AM »
I'm kind of surprised that the game was at PAX East, a huge event full of people, and absolutely noone has uploaded anything about it to YT. No gameplay, no interviews, no nothing. We would've assumed it wasn't there at all if it wasnt for the trickle of information posted here and the devs saying they were going.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1039 on: May 01, 2016, 09:16:53 AM »
Dude, you know you can buy steam vouchers at, like, every game store?
You know there are possibly other reasons such as having "anti video game parents"? Think you could've said that friendlier.
Unity itself is already a good software that has many options and tech behind it, problem is it has gotten almost too easy for new game developers to get into it and released half-baked games because they were trying to make profit on Steam via Green light.
It's the same problem as with GM(which I honestly find the best game creation software out there), doesn't mean that the engine behind it is bad. One thing that does worry me through is the unity file format, I can imagine that being an issue if you have to un and repack everything instead of simply opening up a .py file in notepad and doing some adjustments to test.

I'm kind of surprised that the game was at PAX East, a huge event full of people, and absolutely noone has uploaded anything about it to YT. No gameplay, no interviews, no nothing. We would've assumed it wasn't there at all if it wasnt for the trickle of information posted here and the devs saying they were going.
Not the first game that this has happened to, I guess the devs don't want to upload stuff as everything's still in early stage and it would cost them too much time. A big problem is that the people that are actually at pax have no idea which games are there as first preview/with additional content(and as such should be recorded) and which games are already released games that are mostly there for show. One of the reasons why I'm not a fan of those events.

A bit late, but a question to the devs, are DRM Free releases(such as GOG/Humble Bundle) planned? I'd much rather get the game that way instead of having to deal with Steam's interface, yes I know that means there won't be any Steam Workshop, but let's be honest here, all it does is a bot exchange and I'm sure that we will still have bot exchanges here and on other websites after this, especially given how unfriendly the Steam Workshop is, requiring you to subscribe(and stay subscribed) to use mods and other downloadable content.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0