5 (5.1%)
It's alright, could do with some polish
21 (21.2%)
It's not good
27 (27.3%)
It's a broken mess
46 (46.5%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Robot Arena 3  (Read 316635 times)

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Rep: 4
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Robot Arena 3
« Reply #1580 on: June 05, 2016, 07:05:36 AM »
Do these wheels work when upside-down? Can you disable suspension? Can you just create one wheel, not pairs? I vaguely remember these being a problem that the developers outlined with the default wheel physics model.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-WheelCollider.html

No, technically, and yes. The whole pairs thing I figure is to do with what the Unity StandardAssets car example did - defining the wheels in two 2 object arrays according to their axles and using that to define which axle/pair can steer and/or is powered. If their source files have a lot of tutorial code, then it's likely it checks out.

(Though I just realized I was referring more to the RA3 devs more then t35t3d's example)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:38:46 AM by RedlineM203 »

Offline t35t3d

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1581 on: June 05, 2016, 08:13:05 AM »
Do these wheels work when upside-down? Can you disable suspension? Can you just create one wheel, not pairs? I vaguely remember these being a problem that the developers outlined with the default wheel physics model.
Yes. Yes. Yes. They are just simple rigid-bodies with hinge-joint attached to spring(rigid-body) which is connected with configurable-joint to whole machine (Rigid-Body). RigidBody->HingeJoint->RigidBody->ConfigurableJoint->RigidBody. I'm not using default unity wheel collider – it is for racing games.

Offline TDS

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1582 on: June 05, 2016, 08:49:12 AM »
If they had as much trouble as me trying to get their robot gameobject hierarchy to cooperate with PhysX and get any sort of bot working, let alone with accurate physics, I can't really blame them for a low LPH...

(Been trying myself with a box chassis, motors with hingemotor axles and wheels, joints are never stiff enough even with the solver at 100, using rotational locking, anything)

I remember having the same issues playing around with 3d studio max back when ra2 was in beta.

Thats kind of the crux of the whole issue, my experience is with stress analysis, not game physics, but its roughly similar.
Instead of just transferring the forces that don't effect the spinning mass (in this case) to the parent body, the parts seem to be, at a engine-coded-level, retained by springs, which stress in whatever way, and then drag the next rigid body in the chain along with them.

While its a good system for modeling the kind of things people typically make in unity, it doesn't seem ideal for what we're doing.  I can only imagine that the locks involved, dont actually zero out and transfer the forces, but are still "springs" when you get down to it.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1583 on: June 06, 2016, 07:19:48 PM »
Has anyone noticed the image they use for the Workshop banner?

That's clearly a RA3 robot with DSL style chipped paint edge lines (going back to how there's a placeholder folder for edge lines in the custom folders) and a perfectly mapped chassis texture.
Of course I also thought that white/red chainsaw bot and the crocodile bear claw bot were really in the game too... but this is different. It fits the current sort of skin quality someone using the default decals and colour settings could achieve.

I guess the only thing is how long has it actually been up there.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1584 on: June 09, 2016, 03:06:45 PM »
Necessary evil double:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/363530/discussions/0/350532795338281729/?tscn=1465502656

Sloped bots are now working properly thanks to the new update that just launched a minute ago.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/249202181062123172

Expect a patch soon, fellas.

Loaded it up for 5 minutes - there's now weight class icons on player bots but no indication of what the weight brackets are or if there are any limits to HW (My 2050 EMERGENCY is still legal), and you can't see the weight class of the AI bots... didn't get enough time to wedge test.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:57:30 PM by RedlineM203 »

Offline znedd1

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1585 on: June 09, 2016, 03:38:21 PM »
Has anyone tried the new collision detection yet?

EDIT: Seems to be working pretty well. I made a collision test bot, which seems to be interacting Ok.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1586 on: June 09, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »
It certainly works to a degree. Thyrus showed me his test bot which has a fairly oddly shaped chassis wedge that clips through the floor slightly. So the detection isn't quite perfect, but it's something.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1587 on: June 10, 2016, 03:06:06 AM »
Hmm. The devs seem to be doing a good job at fixing their game.

Didn't buy it back, though.

Offline Tygron

• Antweight
  • O.o
    • tygron117
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #1588 on: June 10, 2016, 03:44:41 AM »
I did. Was doing a bit of testing earlier to see if it would be possible to chain motors and have a faster drive. The short answer yes, the should be long but not as long as it should be answer is eh while it works it doesn't really do much. Also was going to test using Zteks and carsteering to see if there's a happy balance between the two to make a fast but still skid steering bot. The answer to that is more complex and my simple testing wasn't really enough. Both axles aren't the same height and without a TON of fine tuning it never will be. But they're close. I managed to have a car steering in the middle and 4 zteks in the corners (still positioned normally though) and it managed to do both just fine. I used the medium tech wheels (or whatever they're called) for all tests. There was a test where, so I could get them out of the way quickly, I put the zteks on pairs of baseplate anker, tbar, and extender mounts. I'm not entirely sure what was causing it but that caused my bot to just start bouncing all over the place.

I'll do more testing later but my game crashed and had to restart my PC due to the annoying continuous stuttering that i've never been able to find a fix for other than restarting my PC. Thank God I have a case with a reset switch too because last time that happened it didn't go away until I hit that switch. Restarting, killing the power, unplugging, nothing worked.

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1589 on: June 15, 2016, 04:04:22 PM »
Ra3 wiki out now
Hey all. We are still hoping to get another update out for Robot Arena III this week, but until then we thought you'd like to know about the Robot Arena III wiki page. Hosted by Gamepedia, the wiki will be another resource to turn to once users start populating it. Check it out here:

http://robotarena3.gamepedia.com/Robot_Arena_3_Wiki
http://steamcommunity.com/app/363530/discussions/0/351659704040054163/
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1590 on: June 15, 2016, 06:28:51 PM »
Didn't take long for someone to deface it. Did my part adding stuff on the components page though. Not sure what the 'Ram' component section is supposed to be. Didn't have enough time to do weapons either. That and weapons don't seem to trigger a weight recalculation, which makes it a little more tedious to work out weapon weights.

Offline RFS

• Rep: 9
  • Ghost Raptor's #1 Fan
    • http://goo.gl/iwd1VI
    • gatorbox
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Update
    • Awards
  • Discord: gatorbox
« Reply #1591 on: June 16, 2016, 02:23:00 AM »
I signed up and tried to use the "Claim this Wiki" option, but the Wiki software basically told me "no freeloaders, piss off".  :(
The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Offline Joelu Of Eagleland

• Supreme Dorifuto Warrior; Speed Speed Lover, Game's Not Over
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • https://www.facebook.com/
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: I'M GONNA STEP ON THE GAS
« Reply #1592 on: June 16, 2016, 03:18:13 AM »
Didn't take long for someone to deface it.
As soon as I saw the wiki was a thing, I saw the text added in the about section someone else. For the record, I didn't do it.

(Image taken from the GTPlanet forums (Gran Turismo forums) which I am actually NOT on. I'll join sometime soon, though.)
(You can find me on the Wangan Midnight Expressway forums as well as GTM: http://wmexpressway.net/index.php?showuser=10331)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tournament Stats

Entered:

Fight W/L Record: 4-5
Set W/L Record: 1-2

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1593 on: June 16, 2016, 04:06:10 AM »
Oh I'm sure you haven't. Only identifier is an IP address and anyone who took the link on the Steam discussion could have done it.

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1594 on: June 16, 2016, 03:11:12 PM »
Another double-worthy post. I'm sorry. Third update out now.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/363530/announcements/detail/848181659410713986

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1595 on: June 16, 2016, 03:31:42 PM »
Can you still attach components in space and inside each other?
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #1596 on: June 16, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »
More stuff that sounds like improvements. I haven't delved back in yet as I've been busy, but I'm very interested as to where this is going.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline RedSawn

• aka RedlineM203
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1597 on: June 16, 2016, 05:01:32 PM »
Can you still attach components in space and inside each other?

Yes.

More stuff that sounds like improvements. I haven't delved back in yet as I've been busy, but I'm very interested as to where this is going.

From where I stand, yeah, it is. The driving physics are somewhat better with high power motors. They've opted for a system where you can change the max RPM % to spin at and max motor torque %, which I suppose adds some more fine-tuning, though why you'd purposefully put either below 100% without a serious control issue I don't know. I think the Reversible Angle motors are still getting shafted on performance (supposedly they're the 3rd heaviest spin motor behind the two Z-Teks, they should sit between the Mini and Redbird and go faster.. and have a motor sound) but otherwise you can make much faster bots. RA2-esque zero ground clearance seems to be a thing of the past if you want to drive at all as the chassis friction is overwhelming, I haven't tried a floor sitting chassis wedge though. Flying Squirrel digs into the floor hard if it tilts forward though, so probably bad news for those.

They've taken my advice and got rid of the motor start/stop sounds which takes care of a lot of the noise pollution, though they don't use a dynamic pitch and instead have it static based on what RPM % the motor is set to. Or maybe it just accelerates fast enough I can't tell with normal applications.

(I just checked Red Giant and it goes pretty rapidly on RAMs, so I think it's just the other robot with Reversibles I'm trying to use dragging across the floor. Would make sense)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:41:16 AM by RedlineM203 »

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1598 on: June 16, 2016, 08:55:53 PM »
Does online actually work now with all the fixes?
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1599 on: June 17, 2016, 12:37:26 AM »
Online's always worked. Me and someone from the Garry's Wars group tested it a few weeks ago and it was definitely better than typical RA2 online. There's still some small lag, but from what I could tell everything worked.