Author Topic: DarkRat is in Da House  (Read 3728 times)

Offline DarkRat

• Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:08:37 PM »
Hi to all the old members i had so much fun with way back and hi to all the newer ones.
it's nice to see the game is still kicking after so long.
The sweetness of RA2 was the ability to change it and it has evolved nicely.
Cudos to the team that did DSL 2 I love some of the new things.
It's Amazing to come back after a couple of years and see the cool new bots people have put together.Makes me wish i was still around.. Or better yet makes me wish there was a new RA3 out to play with.

Keep on Mod'n

.......................Don\'t mess wit da Scat Mang..................

Offline infiniteinertia

• Rep: 6
    • View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:58:32 PM »
darkrat! *bows*

dont know what to say really, i wasnt here way back when but i guess you can say ive been carrying this game on my back with a few others for a while now.

would love if you could just stop by and see whats going on everynow and then, help some of us newer players understand what it was like in your time. you may even see the 'new' glitches and such, legal and all, to this game that have completely changed it.

i just started playing DSL and i love it, though it is different.

hope you enjoy your stay!
#MakeStockGreatAgain

#BANtheHS The Movement

Offline R0B0SH4RK

• Rep: 8
  • There is epic to my madness.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 01:14:31 AM »
I too am one of the new-er builders, and i wish i could've been here way back when, as the vets like you are nothing short of legends today. If the RA2 forums are working, you should stop by there and see some really great bots if you haven't already (see infiniteinertia's, pysclone's and sage's showcases).

Thank you for dropping by and i also hope you enjoy your return.

Offline goose

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 12:54:56 PM »
Raise the Roof,  DJ Scat Mang is in the hizzouse.

good to see you darkrat. I miss talking with you and the dsl team.  Hope things are doing good.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:37:10 PM by goose »
sippin' on my Honeydew bubble tea.
party in my tummy. yummy, yummy.

Offline Scrap Daddy

DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 06:51:07 PM »
Hey. I wasnt around either back when you were but im glad your back.

Offline modder TY

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 08:15:28 PM »
Hey, DarkRat a few people from the RA2 forums are making a new game robot fighting simulation game, and basicly it could be a RA3 but not by the same people, well you get the idea.
"I reject your reality and substitude my own."

Offline DarkRat

• View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 07:20:15 AM »
I have had the opportunity to visit the RA2 form before it went down and there and there are some amazing things being done.of course the beetle Bro's have done some amazing things which i had the opportunity of knowing them way back and even helping out a bit.
but many new moders doing things as well.
To share with you some of the past it was probably different in some ways and the same as for the new people .. when we started dummy had come up with a way to make new parts and even made an exporter but left the sceen soon after to work on his own games from there we had something to work with but no one knew how to go from there.then a couple of people got on the band wagon namely AW and Ice.but things were different back then how to make things was a well guarded secrete and not shared much so you were on your own.Ice came out with a part here and there which he shared and AW put a team together and put out a nice mod mod changing a lot of things and adding some real bots to the mix.this is where i started.I started by making a few parts and continued until i had enough to put out a full pack not just a part or two but a pack that had maybe 20 or more parts to add to your game.
then slider came along and figured out how to make a motor.with his help I was able to make many motors and came out with the biggest pack ever which was darkpack2 with many motors and many new parts with some unique ability's.the only thing left to crack was the Tires they were the hardest thing to make and i am sure they still are.making the tire was easy making it not slide was the kicker.Our girl yes i said girl LuTuz figured it out and made the first wheel which i quickly found out how and came out with a Tire pack.
now that we had every part possible we could make it was time to take the game to a whole new level and bring in the best moders all together and make DSL.
DSL went way beyond anything we could imagine with everything for the time we could mod would be.We left the engine alone for copyright reasons but needless to say we had done some cute things in there also that would have been cool.
DSL even though has there names to it is really about 20 peoples talents this brought everyone together even mortal enemy's ;)
Starcore became our AI expert and LuTuz our Arena expert I was a jack of all trades doing parts arenas sounds menu's garage ect... AW was a great help in arenas and parts also and the list goes on on on ACAMS,Goose,Slider,HackerX just to name a few.
After DSL we lost LuTuz then not long after starcore left. Then the Beetle Bro's came on the sceen and DSL2 came along.
Thats the past... you know the present ;)

Offline DarkRat

• View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 07:25:18 AM »
modder TY tell me more about this new project :)

Offline ACAMS

DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 10:42:33 AM »
WOW....it was on the official forum and has been deleted....I guess Atari didn't like the idea.

Offline Madiaba

DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 01:32:22 AM »
Dark Rat, Nice to seee you back.... and thanks for giving a background.  ACAMS and Modder Ty are talking about another project like RA2, but starting from scratch with new physics engine.  Megabyte, eeffeemmee, and Goose were/are the main pegs.  I've been tweaking away at the python end of things to see what's possible, while waiting for it to get to that stage of development.  Still waiting....
ACAMS, seems that all the posts on my work and mods were taken off too.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 01:38:15 AM by Madiaba »
Input is appreciated. :)
-Arrogance is a quantity devoid of quality...
-As a client once told me "This is my story, and it's sticking to me!"
-Relationships these days are like the 'Arrival' section of the airport: a lot of baggage is being revealed in one place, and not a lot of it is being correlated to its real owners...

Offline DarkRat

• View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 08:43:26 AM »
I think it's a great idea madiaba and nice to meet you ACAMS has been saying a lot of nice things about you.I have seen some of the amazing things you did namely with the hover engine and cannon.
Do keep me informed on this new project as it may be something i would help with in the 3D department.
Engine from scratch is the key using what exists we cross the copyright line.

Offline 70 CUDA

• Rep: 2
  • Epic skulls= Epic win
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 04:15:03 PM »
hecko i would just like to throw in my 2 cents worth of hommage and a HUGE wellcome back. i was on back when you were here but i was a nobody so you wont remember. i cant wait to see what you can do with all we have learned.
Holy crap they do exist!!!! :Rob2

Offline ACAMS

DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 04:37:24 PM »
:D   DR fixed his sig!!

Offline modder TY

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 04:57:32 PM »
Quote from: DarkRat;7362
modder TY tell me more about this new project :)

Its project name is OpenRA and as far as Atari knows it stands for "Open robotic assualt", theres supposovly a career mode where you would start out as a normal person without the money for much robot parts tryign to enter a tornament, you would be able to take parts off of other items such as: RC cars, cars that don't work, and other stuff you might find around a house. You would unlock new robot parts when you progress into the game untill you are the robot champion of the world, but it shouldin't end there if you ask me.
It is using a new engine, have much better grapics and be more realistic, including: an advanced wiring mode(optional), being able to make extenders the exact size you want, bending components, and other cool stuff.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:59:36 PM by modder TY »

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 05:19:54 PM »
Wow.

A shame I can't help, Im totally ignorant in programming, it looks REALLY cool. But perhaps too complicated (bending components with custom extenders?)

Or, perhaps I could do a little graphic work and design (btw, Gimp pwns), if you guys need help.

Offline ACAMS

DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 05:23:11 PM »

Offline DarkRat

• View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 11:58:10 PM »
I am still  confused about this.Is it a users project or Atari project ?
My thoughts on the game is simple keep the game as it was. It was a great game but add a lot more to it.Better res would be nice and the ability to make your own parts in the game.the same as you would put together a bot you would make your own parts.
The ability to make your own arena's in the game.
in game painting of chassis and parts.(import grafix and have a in game paint prog to really enhance the look.)
Allow the chassis more flexibility in shape and add multi layering.
That in my opinion would be top of the list.then add better physics to allow chain driven motors that have to be put together as in real life to work.Let the user design everything.Mind you stock parts for those that are not into making things.
right now the engine will only allow very basic poly shapes anything complicated would slow the game to a crawl this needs to be fixed.The same goes for arenas we made some nice things that would not work in the game because of its complexity.
Money in the game can be good but not for buying parts but to open new options.every tourny match won earns you cash.Open further enhancements and parts with your money.
guns and the likes goes away from battle bots and will kill any real bot makers away which is what this game is all about.

Offline ACAMS

DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 07:53:50 AM »
OpenRA is mainly megabyte, and a few others including input by goose....Atari has nothing at all to do with it. There has been no changes in months so I would guess it is dead, or soon will be, but their intentions were to make a game as you just described.

Offline goose

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 02:24:28 PM »
Quote from: DarkRat;7390
I am still  confused about this.Is it a users project or Atari project ?
My thoughts on the game is simple keep the game as it was. It was a great game but add a lot more to it.Better res would be nice and the ability to make your own parts in the game.the same as you would put together a bot you would make your own parts.
The ability to make your own arena's in the game.
in game painting of chassis and parts.(import grafix and have a in game paint prog to really enhance the look.)
Allow the chassis more flexibility in shape and add multi layering.
That in my opinion would be top of the list.then add better physics to allow chain driven motors that have to be put together as in real life to work.Let the user design everything.Mind you stock parts for those that are not into making things.
right now the engine will only allow very basic poly shapes anything complicated would slow the game to a crawl this needs to be fixed.The same goes for arenas we made some nice things that would not work in the game because of its complexity.
Money in the game can be good but not for buying parts but to open new options.every tourny match won earns you cash.Open further enhancements and parts with your money.
guns and the likes goes away from battle bots and will kill any real bot makers away which is what this game is all about.

modder TY is misinformed(as always ;)).   no plan for a silly money system

OpenRA is taking robot arena one step farther. We have plans to make a very flexible chassis building system-- morso then RA2's. We also want people to have the ability to create unique components. Ofcourse no burst motors. Building will be a bit harder.

and for gameplay we really want to use a soft-body physics engine. So we can have the ability to cut/rip/puncture and mangle the armor and chassis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dviWZcphcIQ&feature=related (example of ripping)

With all that said, megabyte has dissapeared, and I simply dont have the time to take this project over. I don't mind helping like I did with DSL, but money is tight now.
sippin' on my Honeydew bubble tea.
party in my tummy. yummy, yummy.

Offline modder TY

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
DarkRat is in Da House
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »
Oops, I mixed up one of my ideas into the game plans, lol my bad.