Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 796 times)

Offline Mistfire333

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Any ideas?
« on: February 11, 2014, 08:36:52 AM »
So I have convinced my Computer Gaming teacher to let use use RA2 in class to help us learn about how to incorporate components into 3d gaming.. well whatever. He put me in charge of the curriculum and I was thinking of showing them how to make bots such as flippers, poking bots, etc. However, I get this whole week and part of next week to cover these topics and I would be done by tomorrow, moving on to a tournament among the students later on. Does anyone have any ideas I could put into the curriculum?

Also, I am planning on appealing to my robotics club with this game as well and to hopefully welcome them into the forums. Surprisingly enough, they have never even considered the robotic combat ideas since they started (wow, this really did get dug underground) and maybe you guys could give me some things to tell the robotics club administrator? They've made their bots before, they made one of those things that shoot cannons into the audience and apparently they made a small forklift bot. But I just feel that the club gets little to no attention because of this, it doesn't exactly spark imaginations. You just find a concept that's been done before, code it and that's it. But then with combat robots you get the ideas such as "how can we make this aerodynamic, where and how could we make the sawblade/hammer more effective". Imagination is what makes us create, and with creation, we get even closer to the future we yearn for.

... Ok actually, I think I might have said enough to convince him myself. Still, though, I'd like insight by your part to make this work and incorporate combat robots into my school's robotic club and help me get involved.
SadBoys2001

Offline Trovaner

• Rep: 32
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:41:23 AM »
As for your Computer Gaming class, I'd personally try to get them into some of the basics of modding. I doubt that playing the game and showing the class the absolute basics would be enough material for more than a couple classes. Now I understand if you don't want to get into the more complicated aspects of modding but topics like modifying Component.txt files, adding attachment points, and creating AI are all simple enough for someone to pick up on relatively quickly.

As for your robotics club, GTM is always looking for new members. We have a lot to offer especially for people that are into robotics.

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:11:32 PM »
As far as editing component.txt files goes, here's a good tutorial I made a while ago. It's about adding more options in dropdown menus for different component skins, but it goes into that exact topic.

You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.