Author Topic: Challenge Belt - December 2017  (Read 4679 times)

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
Re: Challenge Belt - December 2017
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 04:27:44 PM »
Well all this organisation and controversy to have only 3 entries. 2 of which are yourself other the past 2 months. It just seems like it has very little to offer to the community for all the hassle that was put towards it.

The system has been ran in it's current state twice with poor results each time. However, I find it a bad idea to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I agree. I personally feel that a more formalised title system that was previously used would've been a better idea. As players were queuing up for that.
Things I did & done

Offline Dreamcast

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 04:40:37 PM »
I agree. I personally feel that a more formalised title system that was previously used would've been a better idea. As players were queuing up for that.

That little queue for the DSL-HW title came from ava’s E-Drama and it’s fallout IMO. Said drama is now long gone*.

Besides, a majority of interested users voted against the old system (10 against, 2 for, with 7 in favor of simplification), we'd probably be seeing more of the same. But I’d have multiple titles instead of one. Right now, the best thing to do is propose repairs to this system and test them. If the solutions fail, seek new systems.

*Unless I win again and some "lovely people" form a “BTFO Dreamcast Squad.”

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 04:43:57 PM »

That little queue for the DSL-HW title came from ava’s E-Drama and it’s fallout IMO. Said drama is now long gone*.

Besides, a majority of interested users voted against the old system (10 against, 2 for, with 7 in favor of simplification), we'd probably be seeing more of the same. But I’d have multiple titles instead of one. Right now, the best thing to do is propose repairs to this system and test them. If the solutions fail, seek new systems.

*Unless I win again and some "lovely people" form a “BTFO Dreamcast Squad.”

That was due to the lack of IRL options. If there was a IRL choice I certainly believe people will be happy to partake
Things I did & done

Offline Dreamcast

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 05:09:31 PM »
That was due to the lack of IRL options. If there was a IRL choice I certainly believe people will be happy to partake

That a good idea but I think it won't work because nobody wants to cultivate a one-horse show. Having an IRL-wing for everything seems to only ever encourage this. Look at Bajur's International Wars tournament and count the amount of IRL entrants who showed zero interest in anything else. One might say this is justifiable IRL has is greatly diverged from DSL-S or stock. This gap would be used to explain why they are separate. I’d say they don't have any difference when you're building for combat (Ava’s butt-ugly Challenge Belt robots show this). Even if the old traditional styles and DSL-IRL had some unmanageable contrast, that doesn’t matter as people still built in Stock and DSL-S when they had significant differences.

Until DSL-IRL can be properly integrated with Ra2, I don't predict intermingling will be common.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »

That a good idea but I think it won't work because nobody wants to cultivate a one-horse show. Having an IRL-wing for everything seems to only ever encourage this. Look at Bajur's International Wars tournament and count the amount of IRL entrants who showed zero interest in anything else. One might say this is justifiable IRL has is greatly diverged from DSL-S or stock. This gap would be used to explain why they are separate. I’d say they don't have any difference when you're building for combat (Ava’s butt-ugly Challenge Belt robots show this). Even if the old traditional styles and DSL-IRL had some unmanageable contrast, that doesn’t matter as people still built in Stock and DSL-S when they had significant differences.

Until DSL-IRL can be properly integrated with Ra2, I don't predict intermingling will be common.

I understand that the gap in popularity between can lead to a wide range of entrants between metas, I don't believe that that is a reason to disallow it. I see that as counter productive to the community.

As far as the rules for IRL, I agree that due to the subjective nature of the meta it would be difficult to create rules to maintain entrants. However, apart from a few outsiders I often don't see ultra try-hard bots as the IRL player base seems to be rather self-moderating. As long as you can contain the blatant abuse of OP parts I think having an IRL section of this would be perfectly fine, see GTMCS2's IRL HW division as an example.
Things I did & done

Offline Dreamcast

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 05:32:18 PM »
Firstly let me say it’s nice to have a conversation on this forum (about a hot topic) that isn’t an argument for once.

As far as the rules for IRL, I agree that due to the subjective nature of the meta it would be difficult to create rules to maintain entrants. However, apart from a few outsiders I often don't see ultra try-hard bots as the IRL player base seems to be rather self-moderating.
You won’t see that when people start going for the gold on a regular basis. It'll mutate fast, albeit not in a instant. That or all of the combat efficient idea will get banned and so sometimes you won't even be able to send fair versions of those bots, discouraging innovation and new ideas in the process.

As long as you can contain the blatant abuse of OP parts I think having an IRL section of this would be perfectly fine, see GTMCS2's IRL HW division as an example.
That hasn’t been finished yet. That hasn’t even been started yet.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 05:52:36 PM »
Firstly let me say it’s nice to have a conversation on this forum (about a hot topic) that isn’t an argument for once.

As far as the rules for IRL, I agree that due to the subjective nature of the meta it would be difficult to create rules to maintain entrants. However, apart from a few outsiders I often don't see ultra try-hard bots as the IRL player base seems to be rather self-moderating.
You won’t see that when people start going for the gold on a regular basis. It'll mutate fast, albeit not in a instant. That or all of the combat efficient idea will get banned and so sometimes you won't even be able to send fair versions of those bots, discouraging innovation and new ideas in the process.

As long as you can contain the blatant abuse of OP parts I think having an IRL section of this would be perfectly fine, see GTMCS2's IRL HW division as an example.
That hasn’t been finished yet. That hasn’t even been started yet.

I disagree with the first statement as firstly, the host can regulate the borderline and objectively try-hard robots that are entered. Hence why I also brought up GTMCS2 as I feel that Badnik has created a solid set of rules to encompass this. And in regards to innovation and new ideas, I believe that players often find work arounds to limitations imposed on them, which intern can result in creative designs and new ideas.
Things I did & done

Offline Dragonfire

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 09:53:46 AM »
Video:

Results:

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner