Poll

Should the idea I have re-suggested in Page 3 be implemented?

Yes
5 (62.5%)
No
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: January 29, 2017, 07:50:20 AM

Author Topic: An idea to overhaul the challenge board system:  (Read 6223 times)

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
Re: An idea to overhaul the challenge board system:
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 05:49:21 PM »
Team champions?
Became irrelevent, were odd, and would clutter the challenge board up with more titles which is exactly this overhaul is tryimg to avoid.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline Dragonfire

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 11:10:46 AM »
I've had the intention of building a microsite for the CB using the main Google Sheet as a database for it (intermediately until if I ever can get around to porting the data to a proper performant webstack DB). As a side-effect, this would present the title holders in a more honourable state, which may increase the prestige of the titles somewhat… but it's just getting around to actually building the site :/

In any case, I'll await the final verdict on the titles before I do anything impactful.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 07:46:48 AM »
This thread died. I think that we should do SOMETHING with the titles, and make them worth more.

Let's take the original idea I proposed, but tweak it slightly: There should be 5 titles: Stock, DSL Standard, DSL-IRL (Can only be defended or won in a Vote Battle, so it isn't about efficiency in any way), Ironforge, Retooled. This keeps those who solely play IRL happy and keeps everyone else happy.

Next, people can list themselves to be contenders for a title at any time, but lose all progress they have made if they switch. To move up in contendership rankings, they must challenge people to matches. We could simply use the current challenge board Leaderboard system where a win = 1 point, a loss = -1 point, and a DQ is -1 to disqualified participants but 0 for anyone else. At the end of a 3 month period (The match should be arranged in the last 7 days of the month, then the match should be completed by the end of the month), the champion MUST face the current #1 contender in a BO3 match, with either their most recently used robot being used or they can provide a new one. If they are inactive then they vacate the title, and the #1 and #2 contenders face each other for the title.

This obviously would be different for the IRL title, where the champion and challenger would both provide a new robot they have not showcased before and send them as a vote battle.

This should happen. We need to make the challenge board titles mean something, so we have something constant to look forward to. We have that with BOTM, but that is for the coolest/most meme robot, so perhaps we can have this as something to constantly look towards. The benefits are: constant competition to keep community interest high, different mods so people have their preference, less fleeting victories than tournament wins, and it makes the challenge board mean something once more.

There is literally no downside to this IMO. We should discuss and implement this ASAP for the new year.
Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 10:42:25 AM »
I'm not really sure how making it harder to attain titles will make the titles mean anything to people. Honestly the only way you really could would be is to give people a logo or like an actual challenge beltish looking thing below their username so there would actually be some sort of reward involved. Of course the only way to pull that off would be for someone with admin powers to update that stuff when needed, and Trov wouldn't be around enough for that. Plus with the whole "3 month period" thing you suggested it basically becomes a mini GTM championship.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 10:58:43 AM »
Of course the only way to pull that off would be for someone with admin powers to update that stuff when needed, and Trov wouldn't be around enough for that.
What I would recommend, is upgrading one of your existing moderators to admins. Namely either Craaig or Kill343gs. While they both have thier pros and cons (craig being more consistently active, but doesn't have as much moderation experience, kill being basically the opposite), I feel that either one of them would be the best for the job. Another boon to having these two in particular be admin, is the fact that the Discord chat offers a direct line of real-time contact to them, as opposed to waiting for them to log on to GTM and respond to a PM you send them.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »
I'm not really sure how making it harder to attain titles will make the titles mean anything to people. Honestly the only way you really could would be is to give people a logo or like an actual challenge beltish looking thing below their username so there would actually be some sort of reward involved. Of course the only way to pull that off would be for someone with admin powers to update that stuff when needed, and Trov wouldn't be around enough for that. Plus with the whole "3 month period" thing you suggested it basically becomes a mini GTM championship.

We definitely need a role/title setup on profiles to give some actual prestige to those who have won a title.

Of course the only way to pull that off would be for someone with admin powers to update that stuff when needed, and Trov wouldn't be around enough for that.
What I would recommend, is upgrading one of your existing moderators to admins. Namely either Craaig or Kill343gs. While they both have thier pros and cons (craig being more consistently active, but doesn't have as much moderation experience, kill being basically the opposite), I feel that either one of them would be the best for the job. Another boon to having these two in particular be admin, is the fact that the Discord chat offers a direct line of real-time contact to them, as opposed to waiting for them to log on to GTM and respond to a PM you send them.
(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah, Trovaner needs to do SOMETHING about this, because it feels like the mods are limited in what they can do as they answer to the Administrators, who are practically non-existant at this point.
Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 11:27:46 AM »
Sage4Admin2k17
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 11:40:24 AM »
Sage4Admin2k17

Sarcasm aside, Sage or someone trustworthy and active for mod, Craaig/Kill for admin. Boom, ****ing done. GTM has a more active admin (though trov is presumably busy, no feedback from him is a bad sign.) who can engage with the community while Trov handles the backend.

I already maintain the main CB spreadsheet, it would make sense for me 2 B admni yis? kappa

Instead of posting "SICK FUNNY MEMES XD" can we actually discuss this idea? Sure, titles aren't regarded too highly but that could, with the proper planning and attention which I am hoping to provide, be rectified. And if 3 months is too long? 1 month then.
Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 11:53:36 AM »
prank: we have a community wide vote on the new admin

Offline Dragonfire

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 11:58:13 AM »
Sage4Admin2k17

Sarcasm aside, Sage or someone trustworthy and active for mod, Craaig/Kill for admin. Boom, ****ing done. GTM has a more active admin (though trov is presumably busy, no feedback from him is a bad sign.) who can engage with the community while Trov handles the backend.

I already maintain the main CB spreadsheet, it would make sense for me 2 B admni yis? kappa

Instead of posting "SICK FUNNY MEMES XD" can we actually discuss this idea? Sure, titles aren't regarded too highly but that could, with the proper planning and attention which I am hoping to provide, be rectified. And if 3 months is too long? 1 month then.

First of all I'll overlook the blatant popularity contest here (calling me out for meming while ignoring Sage's before), and out of respect for everyone else, I have deleted my original post.

I'd like to think I am an active mod; I check this area at least 5 times a day, ensuring that the spreadsheet is up to date with any new results and threads are locked/renamed properly. I am sorry if no-one appreciates my work, and this disheartens me. If any more popular mod would like to take over, I can transfer the spreadsheet to you or you can make your own and I'll just delete mine.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2016, 11:59:36 AM »
Sage4Admin2k17

First of all I'll overlook the blatant popularity contest here (calling me out for meming while ignoring Sage's before), and out of respect for everyone else, I have deleted my original post.

I'd like to think I am an active mod; I check this area at least 5 times a day, ensuring that the spreadsheet is up to date with any new results and threads are locked/renamed properly. I am sorry if no-one appreciates my work, and this disheartens me. If any more popular mod would like to take over, I can transfer the spreadsheet to you via or you can make your own and I'll just delete mine.
I think you might be overlooked because you rarely post, so your work is kinda invisible to most members. I'm sure the vets and the people what actually pay attention in the community do appreciate your work, Dragonfire.

I don't know what's worse, LRA2 flaming someone for memeing or implying that that 1 post is derailing the thread. Give the dude a break, you don't have to flame literally everyone at every opportunity you get. Save it for the actual sh**posts.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 12:10:11 PM »
Sage4Admin2k17

I'd like to think I am an active mod; I check this area at least 5 times a day, ensuring that the spreadsheet is up to date with any new results and threads are locked/renamed properly. I am sorry if no-one appreciates my work, and this disheartens me. If any more popular mod would like to take over, I can transfer the spreadsheet to you or you can make your own and I'll just delete mine.

Apologies, I was trying to say with the SICK MEME part that this disregard from Sage, AS, 09 and you were pointless and didn't help. Your work isn't seen too much but when we look harder and have it pointed , I see all this sh** is done for us with care and attention. For that, you are a great mod. I ****ed up and insulted you in particular with my quote formatting, when I was more angry about everyone deciding to "LEL MEME" it up instead of trying to make valid discussion. My "Sarcasm aside" part was trying to see a slight benefit, but i can see how this made you think I was digging at you in particular. Again, your work here is always gonna be appreciated, even when twats like me **** up and don't show respect.

Please stay, you are a great mod.

I don't know what's worse, LRA2 flaming someone for memeing or implying that that 1 post is derailing the thread. Give the dude a break, you don't have to flame literally everyone at every opportunity you get. Save it for the actual sh**posts.
[/quote]

I'll post 1 reply to this, and be done. Yes, I attacked a highly helpful moderator for no decent reason. I ****ed up, and I have apologised. But here's where my frustration stems from: this post was meant for serious discussion about what we could do to improve the challenge board, and potentially make this sh** more important and active. What did I get in return? Bad, unfunny and unhelpful memes about needing a new admin. Come on, I try to make an actual valid point and this is what we get.
Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 01:15:29 PM »
Dragonfire is the real mod of this section, I barely do anything. He'd make a great overall moderator.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2016, 01:35:39 PM »
Dragonfire is the real mod of this section, I barely do anything. He'd make a great overall moderator.

+1
Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »
OK here is a rough draft of an idea I had floating around the other day to replace the title system with.

GTM Challenge Belt

-1 challenge belt holder, the challenge belt holder changes every month (how this works below)
-The Challenge Belt would be a banner or something that would be below the holders username
-Challenge belt holder picks the Mod (Stock, DSL, Retooled, Ironforge) and weightclass (maybe limit this to just LW, MW, HW) for that months challenge belt challenger to fight him in. (Cannot pick the same Mod two months in a row)
-To be eligible to challenge for the belt, you would need to win a challenge during the course of the month. (This could upped depending on the number of the challengers)
-At the end of the month, all the people who are eligible for to challenge for the Belt and sent a bot (You can send your bot anytime during the month after you become eligible) to Challenge Belt Host (I'm thinking Dragonfire for this) compete in a Mini single elimination bracket, with the winner facing the current Challenge Belt holder to fight for the Belt.
-Since this should take place at the same time of BOTM voting, Trov could then update this and BOTM at the same time.

give me your thought m8s

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
+1 this should be implemented ASAP

For the first challenge belt title holder, i say take everyone who currently has a challenge board title and put them through single elimination bracket.
Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 04:06:14 PM »
I disagree since half those guys aren't active, I think a better idea would to be just have the challenge board mods pick the mod and weight class for that month and have it run how it normally would.

Offline Dragonfire

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2017, 03:52:14 AM »
I like this idea but I think there needs to be a fall-back for if the Belt holder becomes inactive; if no mod & weight class is chosen within a week, combo is picked at random.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017, 07:39:10 AM »
I like this idea but I think there needs to be a fall-back for if the Belt holder becomes inactive; if no mod & weight class is chosen within a week, combo is picked at random.

But if they are inactive, they can't defend the belt anyways. I'd say they should defend the belt using the same robot and combo they used for their last defence, but if they aren't active by the next defence then they vacate the belt, and the top two players of the single elim tournament play each other in a best of 3 match to decide a new champion.
Former DSL HW champion.
Professional cunt.