Author Topic: Hyper-accurate Building  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Classicus

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 5
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hyper-accurate Building
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »
This is my solution to the baseplate grid issue. The solution is based around my building procedure:

1. Create a 'map' of what I want to do in a 10x10 or 5x10 chassis,
2. F11 screenshot top, note height increments for raised components and turn increments for angled components.
3. Print - I have a laser printer so it is economical, but you could always adjust your printer if the ink cost is an issue.
4. I sketch the outline of the chassis
5. Try to make the outline as accurately as I can in a new bot.

Thanks to having the printed out map with the grid, I simply use my blueprint.bmp to make my new chassis. Note this is 1024x768 only, but easy to make for other resolutions

Further refinements may be needed, for example to eliminate that last remaining bit of space, but it is as accurate and efficient as I can think of doing it.

As you can see the relationship between chassis design and bot construction is 100% accurate.

Offline NFX

• Rep: 11
  • SliSliSliSliSliSliSliSli(0)
    • AwesomeFish921
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Hyper-accurate Building
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:51:21 AM »
It's quite a long and time-consuming way of doing it, but at least it works. Most of the builders make do with simple trial and error, if a particular part doesn't fit, try making the chassis a little bigger, if there's too much empty space, try reducing the chassis size a little. You'll find the shrink-wrapped chassis in a few tries or so.
Co-creator of The RA2 Randomiser

Offline Classicus

• Middleweight
  • Rep: 5
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Hyper-accurate Building
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »
Yes but my way allows you to do it one attempt. Perhaps I didn't make that point clearly, my method allows you to make extremely accurate chassis very quickly. I am quite confident that I could build a fairly simple robot, for example Killdozer in less than an hour from start to finish. Just thought it might help some people. I only recently developed it, and I haven't tried it on anything complex yet, but I am building something later in the week so I will see how it goes.