Author Topic: The Events.txt  (Read 1458 times)

Offline SteveM4

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Obviously dangerous.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Events.txt
« on: June 27, 2019, 01:01:35 AM »
So, as we all know, in DSL the standard AI events in the teams break a lot. A few load oddly or just sort of don't work. There are also some odd-ball arenas that just aren't my own tastes or are bad for YouTube worthy battles (yes, I am that sad).

I went and modified the events.txt file to try and make crashy events not crash and change some arenas around. Sometimes, my fix worked. Managed to get some arenas to load instead of the intended ones, and it fixed a crash or two.

And then sometimes I run an event and it kills RA2 dead and it won't even start up again, even when the old unchanged events.txt is replaced. Basically, I'm stumped.

If anyone knows what's happening, or how to make an events.txt that doesn't crash all the time (or has one with just simple arenas like Tourney, RoboGames and Robot Wars 2016), that would be grand!

Ta
I do those awful YouTube videos.

Offline AWGaming

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • yes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Events.txt
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 01:29:50 AM »
So, as we all know, in DSL the standard AI events in the teams break a lot. A few load oddly or just sort of don't work. There are also some odd-ball arenas that just aren't my own tastes or are bad for YouTube worthy battles (yes, I am that sad).

I went and modified the events.txt file to try and make crashy events not crash and change some arenas around. Sometimes, my fix worked. Managed to get some arenas to load instead of the intended ones, and it fixed a crash or two.

And then sometimes I run an event and it kills RA2 dead and it won't even start up again, even when the old unchanged events.txt is replaced. Basically, I'm stumped.

If anyone knows what's happening, or how to make an events.txt that doesn't crash all the time (or has one with just simple arenas like Tourney, RoboGames and Robot Wars 2016), that would be grand!

Ta
is this the events.txt file in DSL 2.2? If it is, then i'm not sure why it crashes your game. I have DSL 2.2 and on tournament mode, it doesn't crash. Anyway, I'll put a link up for an edited events.txt file when I edit it.
- Adam
hey there

Offline SteveM4

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Obviously dangerous.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 01:41:55 AM »
I went and modified the events.txt file

Its a modified file. I am trying to find a way to modify the file but without breaking it...
I do those awful YouTube videos.

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 07:33:10 PM »
basically if your modified events.txt is breaking the game, you probably made a mistake with the formatting. I don't remember how the events.txt thing works but if you tell me what arenas you don't want and what you do want and send over your file, I might be able to get it working for you

i'd advise going in-game and selecting 2 player events, this should reduce the amount of crashing as a result of laggy matches.

unfortunately, if my memory serves me well enough, DSL 2.2 is just a crashy git anyways and sometimes straight up dies and doesn't load properly. welcome to trying to run 2001 shovelware on OS's built after the late noughties. may god have mercy on your soul.

(also, are you that M4 gaming bloke that was trying to build replicas on youtube?)

edit: i just checked, you are. your youtube link under your profile is knackered btw.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.