Author Topic: Re: Learning to component skin.  (Read 1157 times)

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Learning to component skin.
« on: March 17, 2017, 01:16:55 PM »
Here's how I do it since using the compiler is too much effort for me  :mrgreen:

Things you will need: Notepad++, paint.net/photoshop/gimp/whatever

1: Create a new folder for your reskinned part/parts (I like to add 0s or -s as the first letter in the file name so it comes up first in the components list)

2: Grab the .gmf and map of the part you want to skin and put them in your new folder

3: Open your map (it's either going to be a .bmp or .tga) with your image editor of choice, since you will probably want more detail in the part and most parts have standard maps that are 256x256, 128x128, or even 64x64 I suggest the first thing to do after you open it is resize it to 512x512.

4: Put whatever you want on the component (It's optional to use layers, but I think they help a lot when putting multiple things on one parts)

5 (Optional): Save a .pdn/whatever photoshop uses/whatever gimp uses of your skin first incase you want to tweak the layers later as .bmps don't support layers, give it some cool name I guess.

6: Save your part as a 24 bit .bmp or 32 bit .tga (both uncompressed)

7: Go to your maps folder and rename your new .bmp/.tga to something with the same number of characters as the old .bmp/.tga, this is important and if the number of characters isn't the same it won't work. Since the original .bmp name was "snowplow1" I can put anything I want as long as its 9 characters, so I will use "memeplow1"

8: Go back to you main folder for the reskinned part (In this case, 0dope), rename your .gmf to match your .bmp/.tga (so memeplow1.gmf) and open it with Notepad++

9: Go to Search, then find and type in .bmp/.tga in and find where the map is specified in the .gmf

10: Change the file name specified to the .bmp we made earlier, so again, memeplow1.bmp and then save the file

11: Go to your main components folder and locate the .txt file for the parts

And make a copy of it and rename it (I like to name it the same as the folder I created in step 1)

12: Open the .txt file, change the dir to the folder we made in Step 1, the .gmf to the one we made in Step 8, and save the file. (Optional but recommended, remove the styles from the .txt file)

13: Go open RA2 and see if you did it right, if you did you should have a new reskinned part

Offline Dark-Al

• That guy who makes long posts.
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 2
  • That's not how you build a Hydraulic crusher mate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Re: Learning to component skin.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »
Thanks 090901. Now I followed all your instructions on how to skin. But when I select the part ,the game crashed! I'm not joking but I'm not sure what's wrong with the game or I did something wrong. Can anyone explain?

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 02:26:53 PM »
fuk you
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:32:38 PM »
Thanks 090901. Now I followed all your instructions on how to skin. But when I select the part ,the game crashed! I'm not joking but I'm not sure what's wrong with the game or I did something wrong. Can anyone explain?
Make sure all the file names are correct in the  txt file and the .gmf. If you could can you just upload the stuff so I could take a look at it that would be great.
fuk you
:heart_smiley:

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »
This is the file here if you want to try: https://gametechmods.com/uploads/files/18570wedge.zip

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »
Your .txt file is set up wrong, you have

Code: [Select]
dir = tornado
model = tornadoovers.bmp

dir = tornado should have been changed to the new folder you made which was 0wedge.
model = tornadoovers.bmp is wrong as the model should be the .gmf file, not the .bmp
The .gmf you have won't work either as it's currently uncompiled. You need to run it through Serge's compiler first. Note that the method I posted does not required decompiling the .gmf at all.

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »
Made the changed to the txt file, which should be alright. Unfortunately, I tried using the Serge compiler but it keeps crashing when I try to decompile files, possibly due to the program being a little outdated (I was using version version 0.16 which hasn't been updated since 2010) Which is why I ended up using the Megabyte compiler because that program works. I'll try again with notepad + when I can, unless anyone can find a better solution. 

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 05:51:50 PM »
Which is why I ended up using the Megabyte compiler because that program works.
Yeah Dummy's compiler fixed by Megabyte (aka Serge) should work fine, it just doesn't support things like wheels and certain reflection maps. You still need to compile that file with it then since it was uncompiled.

Offline Dark-Al

• Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 03:35:22 AM »
I did the whole tutorial again without the compiler and with notepad ++, and I'm pretty happy with the result.
 Thank you very much 090901! If I could up rep you, I would do so if I had the powe.  I'll keeping this tutorial in my bookmarks just in case I'll need it again.
This is what I was working on if you want to know: