Author Topic: Making OBJ bots  (Read 4192 times)

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • Rep: -3
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Making OBJ bots
« on: January 20, 2019, 01:44:26 PM »
Note: I don't mean disrespect to Badnik and his OBJ tutorial, but i can still see a lot of people asking on how to build OBJ bots, so here we go!
In this tutorial i will be showing you how to make a bot using 3d modeling software and importing it to RA2
First of all you will need:
Sketchup online program - app.sketchup.com/app
NOTE: Any other modeling program works, its just that i'm used to Sketchup
Blender - https://www.blender.org
OBJ2RA2 - https://gametechmods.com/forums/downloads/?sa=view;down=320
Now that we have all the necesarry stuff, lets make a bot!

DESIGNING A BOT:

Here is a simple design i kinda based off lucky

You can make whatever you want, but this it what i chose because it is gonna be easy to explain some stuff on it
So first of all what you need to know:
BLUE IS BAD

Parts that i've selected are not gonna be displayed in ra2. Blue colour means that the mesh is inverted. For Bots like this one that has a dedicated "hole" for flipper its bad because you will have a mesh the bottom of the bot, and empty on the other side
To fix it, you cant simply reverse faces because:

The outside is now inverted. To fix that you need to make a new layer inside. So basically just draw a new layer on it
You can either draw it like this: (simple, only need to add a layer on middle)

Or this: (more complex, also need to add layer on more places)

After you are done, go to

And export as STL.

EDITING IN BLENDER:

After you launched Blender, get rid of that box
Import the model

After you load the bot you might see that the bot is not on the grid

To fix that, just set geometry to origin

Chances are it is pretty much oversized
To shrink it down, just select the Scale option (or press s on keyboard), and scale it down.
Best width size would be around 1 block from the middle (you can go a bit bigger or a bit smaller)

After you scaled it, time to change the mode to edit mode

First of all, you need to UV the model. Go to mesh, and UV Unwrap and Smart UV Project

Press OK

So UV Mapping is done
Now you need to:
A. Recalculate normals to be outside

B. Triangluate Faces

That is pretty much it! If you dont select either of them, bot wont show up in RA2
All you need to do now, is to export the bot as OBJ and youre done with blender

After exporting, you will get OBJ file.

CONVERTING THE BOT FOR RA2:

Drag obj file into OBJ2RA2

NOTE: If a bot has over 86 faces Control board hit (basically that part where the bot sparks before it dies) game crashes (thanks geese for clarifying that)
Like share and subscribe
Drag the newly converted bot file into the folder, and test it in ra2
And there we go!

Like share and subscribe
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 07:18:24 PM by 090901 »

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Making OBJ bots
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 03:13:21 PM »
very useful.
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 07:52:26 PM »
you should've said that 86+ faces can cause the game to crash if a bot takes a control board hit. technically you can make bots for show over the face limit, but youre kind of giving people the wrong message that's gonna make tournaments even more of a hassle to run
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 07:53:29 PM »
you should've said that 86+ faces causes the game to crash if a bot takes a control board hit. technically you can make bots for show over the face limit, but youre kind of giving people the wrong message that's gonna make tournaments even more of a hassle to run
Huh i didnt actually know that, will update it to include that, danke

Offline Redalert

• The inventor of Wandering Spinners and invincirammers
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -48
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
  • Discord: RedStorm
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 06:56:20 AM »
Clever, but is it... cheating?

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 06:57:15 AM »
Clever, but is it... cheating?

It would depend on meta. OBJ is commonly used in the IRL meta
Things I did & done

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 07:04:26 AM »
IRL, I can see, but it’s so easy to make the armor invincible, so in that case, it’s...cheating.

In showcases, though, it’s a great idea. Tournaments and exhibitions, though, cheating again.

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 07:06:18 AM »
IRL, I can see, but it’s so easy to make the armor invincible, so in that case, it’s...cheating.

In showcases, though, it’s a great idea. Tournaments and exhibitions, though, cheating again.
You hardly know anything about the game yet act like you're some smartass. Sit down.
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 07:08:22 AM »

You hardly know anything about the game yet act like you're some smartass. Sit down.

I don’t try to act like a knoy-it-all. But when you’re watching a over eighteen matches a day in RA2, you get familiar with the pros and cons of components.

Offline kix

• RR2 dev
  • H
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 07:17:11 AM »

I don’t try to act like a knoy-it-all. But when you’re watching a over eighteen matches a day in RA2, you get familiar with the pros and cons of components.
He hosts a tournament with 100+ matches, i think he knows more than you. You also posted something totally unnecessary on this thread. You better shut up or ill personally ask hop to ban you

Also lul invincible armour. That doesn't exist in ra2

Offline TheOrcCorp

• I push buttons and hope GTM doesn't explode.
  • Rep: 20
  • A mean, green, small brained machine!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 07:25:47 AM »

He hosts a tournament with 100+ matches, i think he knows more than you. You also posted something totally unnecessary on this thread. You better shut up or ill personally ask hop to ban you

Also lul invincible armour. That doesn't exist in ra2
There's been quite a few OBJ bots in Orc's Wars, none of them have been "invincible" or "cheating". Kix, Badnik, Tashic are just some of the few I know who have used OBJ to make a unique chassis and have not cheated with them. Again, this shows what little you know RedAlert.
GTM 2017 Awards - Most Unique Bots (shared with DSC) and Most Enthusiastic Member!
GTM 2018 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest/Most Unique Bots/Best Tournament 2018/Best Tournament by Editing/Best Tournament by Matches!
GTM 2019 Awards - Friendliest and Kindest(how)/Favourite Staff Member/Hall of Fame Inductee

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 07:29:17 AM »
I don't know that I have THAT little knowledge, but I know you guys are way more experienced than I am.

back on topic, please.

Offline superbomb122

• toomuchweight
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Really nothing special
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: superbomb122 #3549
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 07:58:19 AM »
I don't know that I have THAT little knowledge, but I know you guys are way more experienced than I am.

back on topic, please.
Invincible armor is impossible in RA2 to my knowledge. OBJ is simply a way to create chassis shapes that are not possible in normal RA2. To my knowledge, it generates the chassis with DSA (which sucks in DSL).

Also, if you want things to stay on topic, maybe you shouldn't derail the conversation in the first place. From now on, "Back on topic" means "I know I'm wrong but I won't admit it so instead I will try to change the subject to hide how wrong I am."

Also, thanks for the tutorial kix.
Phantom- OW4 quarterfinalist and PWS6 runner-up
All Guts, No Glory- CUndisputed Champ obv
Everything else I've made- sh**

Delete your account smh

(Phantom is cool)

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 08:03:41 AM »

back on topic, please.
Invincible armor is impossible in RA2 to my knowledge. OBJ is simply a way to create chassis shapes that are not possible in normal RA2. To my knowledge, it generates the chassis with DSA (which sucks in DSL).

Also, if you want things to stay on topic, maybe you shouldn't derail the conversation in the first place. From now on, "Back on topic" means "I know I'm wrong but I won't admit it so instead I will try to change the subject to hide how wrong I am."

Also, thanks for the tutorial kix.

It is possible to make invincible armor. Simply program the bot file to have 9999999999 armor.

Offline Hoppin

• I save GTM
  • Rep: 10
  • -rep TheRoboteer. "queermint"
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Hoppin#0013
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 08:12:58 AM »
Right putting an end to this.

OBJ is ok in the IRL scene, it isnt cheating.
Invincible armour isnt possible, but editing values to reach ridiculously high armour values are, this also can be done on regular chassis, which is cheating.
RedAlert, please think about the information you are presenting and the accuracy of said information before posting, this would go along way in helping not only you but who you're giving feedback for.
The rest of you, I would appreciate less hostile responses and if you feel like you need to, just notify me of any of these kinds of situations.

Things I did & done

Offline Redalert

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Yes, I’m an outsider.
    • View Profile
    • RedStorm's RA2 website
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 10:13:17 AM »
Right putting an end to this.

OBJ is ok in the IRL scene, it isnt cheating.
Invincible armour isnt possible, but editing values to reach ridiculously high armour values are, this also can be done on regular chassis, which is cheating.
RedAlert, please think about the information you are presenting and the accuracy of said information before posting, this would go along way in helping not only you but who you're giving feedback for.
The rest of you, I would appreciate less hostile responses and if you feel like you need to, just notify me of any of these kinds of situations.

Got ‘it.