Author Topic: Jaydee's AI guide for beginner's.  (Read 8742 times)

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
  • Rep: -23
  • :/
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Jaydee's AI guide for beginner's.
« on: June 30, 2014, 01:48:15 AM »
EDIT (5th December 2014): So, this is my AI guide. Since the last one sucked I made a completely new one. This includes more AI features than I included last time and there's a bunch of AI py files.
Please PM me or shout it out here if you find any faults with it. I will be editing it if there are any at all.
Hope you enjoy!
EDIT 22/02/2015: I hope this is the end and it's complete. I don't have any control over the contrast of photos but I hope you can still make sense of what to do. "Please PM me or shout it out here if you find any faults with it. I will be editing it if there are any at all.Hope you enjoy!"
 https://gametechmods.com/uploads/files/7203FIXEDJaydee's AI guide.zip

Offline cephalopod

Re: Jaydee's AI guide for beginner's.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 04:07:09 AM »
It's okay, 1 thing that strikes me though - You can use Spinner for spinners, and your slide that talks about wiring the spinner to forward if it has a flipper? Omni can have both weapons independently (ie not wiring a disc to 'Forward'), hence why it's called Omni, and wiring the spinner to forward may really mess up a bots performance.
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:50:21 AM »
You can use Spinner for spinners, I didn't know this, but I always use Omni.

And your slide that talks about wiring the spinner to forward if it has a flipper? Omni can have both weapons independently (ie not wiring a disc to 'Forward'), hence why it's called Omni, and wiring the spinner to forward may really mess up a bots performance.Yeah, but I've done this and it means you don't have to worry about Bindings when wiring the spinner with the forward control and the robot always uses the forward control and it's never messed up the performance for me because it's a spinner and has no spring action weapons.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »
What if the robot stops to attack because it's got to the opponent? The weapon will stop. What if the robot goes backwards? The spinner has to slow to a stop then reverse. That is absolutely not an option on something like my DSL-S VS's. Just don't wire it to a drive control because it's not drive.
//

Offline martymidget

• Rep: 7
  • Mr Flibble is very cross.
    • http://tts.imtranslator.n
    • View Profile
    • :)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »
it means you don't have to worry about Bindings when wiring the spinner with the forward control and the robot always uses the forward control and it's never messed up the performance for me because it's a spinner and has no spring action weapons.[/b]

what?

You don't need to worry about the bindings with omni, you just use a button/switch labelled "spin" and a smartzone and button for "fire". Bindings doesn't even need to be touched.

The name of the python is not the "weapon name". It is the name of the script that the AI will use.

You haven't included using a button called "srimech" for self-righting.

And for a burst motor, naming it Fire works near universally.

Instead of saying "if it's not math.pi I can't help you" find the AI chart and link that in the slide.

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 02:45:15 PM »
I've added a new AI Guide zip.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 03:17:55 PM »
You're still completely unnecessarily suggesting wiring a spinner to the drive - in a way that if the bot stops moving to attack, the weapon will stop too. I don't know if you've been through Philetbabe's AI Chart but I would recommend going through it to help improve your guide as this is currently what I'd recommend to anybody trying to learn how to AI.
//

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 04:33:09 PM »
You're still completely unnecessarily suggesting wiring a spinner to the drive - in a way that if the bot stops moving to attack, the weapon will stop too. I don't know if you've been through Philetbabe's AI Chart but I would recommend going through it to help improve your guide as this is currently what I'd recommend to anybody trying to learn how to AI.
Send me a link. I can't find it.
Sorry if I'm being a stupid t*** here but I'm only sharing what works for me when I AI for my series and it has worked.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 06:25:17 PM »
Also, this guide is only for basics. Still, it tells you how to get bots recognized in the AI, how to get them working with weaponry and dual weaponry (1-4) and how to fix them. SKBT, instead of saying "Learn how to AI" (which first of all I can because I've proved it by doing this AND my series) but say how I can improve. Not by making an invalid point.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 09:32:07 PM »
SKBT never even posted here

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 09:32:54 PM »
SKBT, instead of saying "Learn how to AI" (which first of all I can because I've proved it by doing this AND my series) but say how I can improve. Not by making an invalid point.
You don't know how to use Omni correctly and are misleading people as Craaig stated. Omni supports both types of weapons already, so there is there is no need at all to wire the spinners to the drive motors, which would mean if the bot stopped driving for whatever reason, your weapon is no longer moving.
http://i.imgur.com/CKIXjBP.png

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 08:12:27 AM »
SKBT, instead of saying "Learn how to AI" (which first of all I can because I've proved it by doing this AND my series) but say how I can improve. Not by making an invalid point.
You don't know how to use Omni correctly and are misleading people as Craaig stated. Omni supports both types of weapons already, so there is there is no need at all to wire the spinners to the drive motors, which would mean if the bot stopped driving for whatever reason, your weapon is no longer moving.
Still works though. And I can AI!!!!!

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 10:22:12 AM »
It works but I would find it unacceptable for a tournament or AI pack - absolutely out of the question.
Just use the py's as they were intended instead of making really dim 'shortcuts'.
//

Offline HereticBlue

• Team Immersion Robotics
    • View Profile
    • Team Immersion
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 06:33:01 PM »
If I was a mod, I would have locked this topic before it got like this.

Craaig, leave JD be... He'll learn on his own accord, regardless of what people advise him to do because he's that sort of person. He'll see your point of view when he gets more experienced with AI-ing and see where he went wrong. Can you please lock to topic because this thread is going no-where, sorry JD but I don't think this thread will do you very well, not until you either become well knowledgable with what you do and provide good points and show experience, or state exactly that your doing a short cut tutorial for the unexperienced. The worst thing you could have done is retaliate the way you did.

But yes, can a mod either lock this topic or delete the damn argument and edit corrections into JD's original post?

Adam
Team Immersion - Vulture, Amnesia, Amnesia 2, Halcyon, Hysteria and many commissions!

https://m.facebook.com/teamimmersionrobotics/

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »
I don't want to lock this because if Jaydee can improve his guide just a little, it'll be a useful asset in the arsenal of many new members - plus, I wouldn't want to stifle his possible contributions by just randomly locking the place he can give them.
What doesn't help situations is everyone bandwagoning - after I last posted, 3 people posted comments basically saying 'stop', which wasn't needed at all, which I am about to remove.
As for my recommendations, I will continue to recommend them, as I think letting issues slide like that can cause problems further down the line - possibly extending to a whole 'YOU AIED MY BOT WRONG' situation in a tournament.

Jaydee - what corrections (not just blind criticism like 'YOU'RE BAD') people suggest are generally from more experienced guys, which are generally the ones to learn from if you want to advance your skills. Completing this guide to the best it can be will help you become more respected within the community - recognizing a flaw and improving upon it is will reflect so much better upon you than simply leaving it and walking away.

If anyone has any other issues, please PM me or another mod and we can sort them out - everyone retaliating at each other really does get nowhere. Any further unwarranted flaming or arguing in this thread will incur a warn.
//

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »
By the way, I'm going to change the flipper and spin part. As I fixed my ways out with this quite a long time ago.

Offline Jaydee99

• Waltuhweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Jaydee99's AI guide (Re-up)
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 02:09:17 AM »
So, this is my AI guide. Since the last one sucked I made a completely new one. This includes more AI features than I included last time and there's a bunch of AI py files.

Please PM me or shout it out here if you find any faults with it. I will be editing it if there are any at all.
Hope you enjoy!

https://gametechmods.com/uploads/files/7635Jaydee's AI guide.zip

Offline thesnowingsteak

• Middleweight
  • Rep: -1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 04:42:29 PM »
It's nice to see someone take a different approach to presenting tutorial on this site.

Also what do I need to open this file?
The art of insanity is the very core of art itself.

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 04:58:19 PM »
no offense but... why do we need 5 different AI tutorials ?