Author Topic: How to skin Components! (For Dummies)  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Bildschirm

• Makes RA2 Arenas from scratch and some Tournaments.
  • Rep: 6
  • Has a Fetish for Vertical Spinners
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
How to skin Components! (For Dummies)
« on: December 04, 2018, 03:20:07 PM »
Hi!

I do this tutorial because i heared that the most guids aren't that great to follow, so i make one for you!

First of you need this:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=91
It's a link for two tools we need later
You also need Notepad++.

First of, we need to know what we want to skin, I'll take an example for you:

d.png

I want to add a white circle on my front wedge. So how to do that?
Click on it and see that it is.

ggg.png

We see, its a 60x120 panel, its steel and its black. We will need this information later.
Now, go out of the botlab and export your bot.
Go out of the game and go in the components folder and make a folder named after you deserve. That folder will hold your custom skinned item. I will call the folder Greedee for an example for this tutorial.
In that folder, make folders named "maps","backup"and "decomp".

Now, search for your exported bot file. Open it with Notepad++ and search for your component.
To help with this step, you can go back in the game, into your bot and just replace your item you wanna skin, that makes searching easier for complicated bots.
When you replace the Item, the game will put the Item at last on the list of the botfile.

For that example, it's that item:

2.3_Teams_Team0_Bot4.bot - Notep.png

Thats our item we wanna change! In the last marked line, you see:
Components\Styles\IRLARM_STEEL-BLCK_P_60-120.txt
Thats the file path we need to find our item. Close Notepad++ and search for the file path you saw earlier. You will find a txt. file named IRLARM_STEEL-BLCK_P_60-120.txt. Copy that in the folder Greedee for the moment.
Go in the txt. file.

2018-12-04 20_22_30-IRLARM_STEEL-BLCK-P-60-120 - Editor.png

We see that the data is stored in IRLARMOUR\IRLARM_STEEL-BLCK-P-60-120.gmf. We will copy that file into the backup folder we made. Also we will copy the IRLARM_BLACK skin thats in the "maps" from the "IRLARMOUR" folder and put it into our maps folder.

Now for the skinning part:
Panels are skinned like that:

IRLARM_BLACK.png

Panels skin starts at the bottom left and for 120 panels, it reuses the skin at the bottom left again.
Open your skin in the maps folder. When you made your custom skin, save it. Make sure you saved it as a BMP file. I will call the new skin Greedee wedge.

Now, go to the backup folder and rename IRLARM_STEEL-BLCK_P_60-120 to your deserve (I will call it Gre_STEEL-60-120), decompile your Gre_STEEL-60-120 in your decomp folder.

IRLARM_STEEL-BLCK-P-60-120.gmf - Notepad++.png

Open it and change the bmp. to the new skin name you chose. (in my example its "Greedee wedge")
Save the file and compile it in the Greedee folder.

Then, do the steps as described here:

2018-12-04 21_17_32-IRLARM_STEEL-BLCK-P-60-120 - Editor.png

Save it and call the txt. file like your gmf file to make things easier.
Now you need to take the txt. file give it into the components folder. Now go into your botfile and edit the file path from the wedge (In my case it would be called Components\Gre_STEEL-60-120)

You just need to start your game now, Import the bot and it should work!

screenshot_40.bmp

It worked, hope it works for you too! When it doesnt, I will help you for sure! :3

Thats me out! Have a nice day! :D
I have a showcase! :3
Also some moments... xD

Offline Billy5545

• Best Newcomer 2018
  • Rep: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: Kendor#3191
Re: How to skin Components! (For Dummies)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 04:44:03 PM »
Another great tutorial. Though just wondering, seeing there is no GMF decompiling, is the component reskinning in this just paste to new component folder and then reskin, rather than also involving GMF editing like with kix's

Offline Bildschirm

• Makes RA2 Arenas from scratch and some Tournaments.
  • Rep: 6
  • Has a Fetish for Vertical Spinners
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2021
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: How to skin Components! (For Dummies)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 10:28:10 PM »
Another great tutorial. Though just wondering, seeing there is no GMF decompiling, is the component reskinning in this just paste to new component folder and then reskin, rather than also involving GMF editing like with kix's
decompile your Gre_STEEL-60-120 in your decomp folder.
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
Open it and change the bmp. to the new skin name you chose. (in my example its "Greedee wedge")
Save the file and compile it in the Greedee folder.

I have a showcase! :3
Also some moments... xD