Author Topic: How to easily transfer robots between different versions of RA2!  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Impossible343

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 1
  • 5?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Something that always annoyed me about the way RA2 worked, is that if you want to transfer robots between 2 different mods, you'd have to do a LOT of renaming of text files and GMFs and there would compatibility issues between robots and components...

...However, i have discovered a much easier way of merging 2 components folders WITHOUT replacing or renaming any files in the original directory.

You will need Notepad++ for this

Step 1. Find the Components folder of the mod that has the components you want to transfer to another copy of RA2.
Step 2. Copy this Components folder into the Components folder of the other RA2 copy.
Step 3. Rename the new Components folder to something else in lower case, i suggest something memorable(eg dsl, ironforge etc)
Step 4. Now open Notepad++ and goto Search>Find in Files
Step 5. Browse for the Components folder for Directory and the filter should be "*.txt"
Step 6. In the "find what" field, type "dir = " and in the "Replace with" field type "dir = modname\"(modname is the components you renamed)
Step 7. Copy and paste the robots you want to transfer to another folder
Step 8. Do the same for whichever robots you want to transfer execpt you are replacing "Components" with "Components\modname" (the filter also needs to be *.bot)
Step 9. Place your bot files into the Robot Designs folder, and import them in RA2
Step 10. Enjoy

You will also need to refollow Steps 1-3 to transfer the sounds folder(you will need to replace attachsound = and firesound = etc in the .txts aswell), otherwise some components may not make any sounds.

NOTE: This only works for the sake of making robots from one mod compatible in another. The transfered components will NOT be selectable in the bot lab.

Also here's a screenshot showing it off:

Hope this might be useful!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:21:09 PM by Impossible343 »
Sometimes this game is on crack.
and now craaig knows how sakurai felt

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: How to easily transfer robots between different versions of RA2!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 10:38:24 AM »
Minus the fact that you can change the component location in the .bot file I thought this was all already known?
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Where creativity meets low expectations.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 10:45:31 AM »
Minus the fact that you can change the component location in the .bot file I thought this was all already known?

I actually only knew how to move Stock robots about.

I have 3 versions of RA2 setup, all with a different AI pack so I can easily import designs to and from them because it's all stock. I've never tried importing a replica into Stock before so I think this would still be useful for some!
Tournament History:

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 11:07:23 AM »

Doesnt hurt to have more tutorials :) not all players know the ins and outs of the game 100%

Speaking of which, Ive moved this topic into tutorials as its a little more fitting

Nice work Impossible343  :thumbup

Offline Impossible343

• Beetleweight
  • 5?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 11:11:31 AM »

Doesnt hurt to have more tutorials :) not all players know the ins and outs of the game 100%

Speaking of which, Ive moved this topic into tutorials as its a little more fitting

Nice work Impossible343  :thumbup

Thanks, i figured it would be useful for people who wanted all of their favourite bots/replicas across different versions of the game to all work in a single version.
Sometimes this game is on crack.
and now craaig knows how sakurai felt

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 03:54:20 PM »
I didn't mean that everyone knows this but how it was known that components could be replaced. It really makes me wonder why noone got this idea sooner :P
Good work.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0