Author Topic: 'Tutorials' POLL  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Madiaba

'Tutorials' POLL
« on: August 18, 2009, 10:59:08 PM »
Post which Tutorial(s) you would most like to see.

-You can vote in several categories.
-Some of the Tutorials may be in a Video format. :-D

-Note:
"Understanding:" category means learning about a certain 'part' of the game (learning gmf stuff, or learning py coding,...).
"Task:" category means "How to do a specific tweak" (which usually involves more than one 'part' of the game; like adding a hazard is both gmf and py work).
You can also post any new suggestions here in this thread.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:52:44 AM by Madiaba »
Input is appreciated. :)
-Arrogance is a quantity devoid of quality...
-As a client once told me "This is my story, and it's sticking to me!"
-Relationships these days are like the 'Arrival' section of the airport: a lot of baggage is being revealed in one place, and not a lot of it is being correlated to its real owners...

Offline Madiaba

'Tutorials' POLL
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 11:50:03 AM »
Ok, it's now confirmed; the most popular Tutorials will be in a video format.:-D
-Relationships these days are like the 'Arrival' section of the airport: a lot of baggage is being revealed in one place, and not a lot of it is being correlated to its real owners...

Offline goose

• Rep: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
'Tutorials' POLL
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »
I think it would be very useful to have a comprehensive, centralized location for all bot building tutorials.

good idea with this project.
sippin' on my Honeydew bubble tea.
party in my tummy. yummy, yummy.

Offline Madiaba

'Tutorials' POLL
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 09:23:46 AM »
Well, looks like 'Understanding pys and gmfs' is what's mostly needed, over 'How-to' do specific tasks; although they're very related.
Well, help here from gmf and py Gurus, would be greatly appreciated, for the following:

GMF: The BBs have a nice basic explanation of the gmf on their site; I'd like to expound on and enhance their tutorial reference page (I'll check with them). Add things like APs, adding and directing them (my recent thread); also, where to adjust certain parameters, where to add geomobjects, how to remove geomobjects... etc... Especially making a video walk-through tutorial....(Sage did a nice one already on components).

Python: There's a py Reference sheet going around and I'm not sure who has it presently. It should be the basis upon which we'll form a good 'quick reference' file. Trov has his nice list of exe commands, for some of which the proper syntax is still unknown/missing. Trovs work is more on commands reference, my stuff is more on implementation of commands in situ. These need to be tweaked out and then correlated somehow.. Maybe commands list, with practical examples...
Phil has already fleshed out the one for py AI-ing, nicely...

I know Apanx, CB, FB, Serge, Trov, Phil, Goose, and several other of you guys could help on here. PM or post here if you can help with any of these things... or any other ideas.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 06:35:56 AM by Madiaba »

Online apanx

'Tutorials' POLL
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 03:32:44 PM »
Working on python reference stuff, but it will take time. The aim is to give an understanding to how everything works and how python is used in RA2. It will be something like this post https://gametechmods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2200 but delve more into the python stuff.

Yes, the FBS AI is also being worked on.

Just having a heap of other stuff to do (report writing, webpage making, book reading and such)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 05:52:42 PM by apanx »

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
'Tutorials' POLL
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »
Quote from: apanx;63867
The aim is to give an understanding to how everything works and how python is used in RA2.

Awesomeness.

But more on-topic, i voted for Python because that's mainly what i want to tweak - i will write my own AI.py .

Offline roboman2444

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Linux, Nexuiz, Quake, and Darkplaces lover.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/teamrckm
    • Awards
'Tutorials' POLL
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 04:22:17 PM »
i would like to have one on the 3dsmax stuff cuz the tutorial that the ra2 site did wasnt good at all.
Real life robotics team www.teamrckm.tk
Real life game studio www.v2games.tk

Offline HurricaneAndrew

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -13
  • Admon is not pleased with your shenanigans.
    • HurricaneAndrew92
    • HurricaneAndrewGTM
    • View Profile
    • Awards
'Tutorials' POLL
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 04:36:19 PM »
Can you also make tutorials in document form? I have dial-up and there is no hope for me when it comes to watching videos.

#BlackNamesMatter  |  #HurricaneAndrewDidNothingWrong  |  #DemodNaryar  |  #OldfagAlliance

Offline Madiaba

'Tutorials' POLL
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 06:46:52 AM »
HA, probably, but we'll see. Maybe you could d/l it.

Thanks, Apanx, for the help in the py section.  Others?

Roboman, that's a great idea. Hope we can find someone to take the time to do it...

How about the GMFs?  Anyone?

Offline GameKing3

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • A guy playing a guy disguised as another guy...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
'Tutorials' POLL
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 03:39:10 PM »
Mad this was a great way for you to find out what the community wants. A GMF tutorial video would be nice especially if you are a visual person. It would show people who don't know a lot about arena and component editing exactly what to do so i am all for it.

Offline Madiaba

Python Taxonomy
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 08:03:51 AM »
GK-3, I agree about the vid aspect, and a GMF vid is in the works.
----

Apanx and/or whomever else is helping out: Concerning a 'Python Reference Sheet', neither my work of RA2 py command examples, and Trov's list of commands from the exe, have the commands or examples 'categorized' between the two main py command types in RA2 (Arena.py/AI.py). So here's a suggestion for listing commands and whatever else you might contribute:

>Separate the AI.py from the Arena.py commands (in whatever way)...

>Have a 3rd category of commands that will work in both.

>At the top, have the syntax that allows some Arena.py commands to be used in an AI.py: "Arenas.currentArena.XXXXXX....", and vise versa.

----
Also, there is an 'AI-ing' Reference sheet that's been passed around for a couple years, and Phil was the last to add to it (so very nicely:-D). This needs to be finalized and conspicuously placed in this Tutorials section, by whomever is able to.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:50:20 AM by Madiaba »