Author Topic: a short guide to component shifting using BFE  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
a short guide to component shifting using BFE
« on: May 14, 2017, 03:40:12 PM »
sup guys

ive been using this to enhance the looks of my irl bots for a while so i figured i'd do a short tutorial on it so other people can do it too

you need Notepad++ to do this. it doesn't work in standard Notepad.

first thing you want to do is identify the component you want to shift. say youve got a round extender that you want to angle, but the angle connectors are all ugly as sin, so you simply attach it off of a side AP from another extender. This also looks ugly, because there's this big ass gap now:

there's a way to fix this problem that involves some simple BFE. first things first make note of what team your bot is in. there are 16 team slots in the bot lab, and the teams folder in ra2 separates each team in a different folder. the first team in your bot lab is team0, and this goes to team15. each team folder has 6 bots in it going from bot0 to bot5. the first column of bots in the in-game team is 0-2, while the second column is 3-5. use this to pinpoint the bot you want to edit, and then open it up in notepad++.

this is more or less what you should see. now you want to scroll down to where the components are, which should look like this:

the last component in this section is the one we want to edit, since it's the last component we added before exiting the game. the line of numbers we want to edit is the line that looks like this:
Code: [Select]
0 0 0this is an XYZ coordinate value we can edit to shift our component wherever we want. The first number shifts the component left to right, the second up and down, and the third forward and backward. In this case we want to edit the center number, since we're shifting our component up.

this number (0.1325) should match your new extender up more or less with the extender we attached it to. If your component appears to be floating in space instead of matched with the extender, change the number to a negative, which will shift it in the opposite direction. For reference. 0.05 is one tick up when you raise a component in the bot lab.

that looks so much better! it still isn't perfect, but you can mess around with the other numbers in that line of code to shift it until you think it's good.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: a short guide to component shifting using BFE
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 03:42:10 PM »
rehost your images using the GTM image uploader please. Lightshot images are only guaranteed to be hosted for a year, and prntscr.com is blocked by a few privacy extensions for Chrome.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 03:44:52 PM »
rehost your images using the GTM image uploader please. Lightshot images are only guaranteed to be hosted for a year, and prntscr.com is blocked by a few privacy extensions for Chrome.

done, thanks

Offline Lemonism

• Rep: 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »
Oh cool, I didn't even know this was possible, thought you could only move baseplate stuff for whatever reason
Thanks Badnik  :thumbup
Download Mortis.py
Download some of my DSL2.2 Bots