Author Topic: Weekend Warriors  (Read 1503 times)

Offline 70 CUDA

• Rep: 2
  • Epic skulls= Epic win
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Weekend Warriors
« on: November 25, 2010, 01:36:44 AM »
This will be a Bi-weekly mini tourney with up to 8 bots. the first week ill post polls and such so you all get to pick the type of tourney you want. then on friday you have 1 week to send me the bots you have AIed yourself and that fri ill post the brackets and start rec the 7 matches and post them sat and sun night.

Rules for all tourneys.
1. ALL building must be in the bot lab. ie no AAM or BFE but you may skin your bits to your harts content.
2. If it is stock then all glitches are in
3. DSL will keep to the rule of real unless its an IRL tourney then no poups and such.
4. You have 7 days to get me your bots. i will start accepting on a fri. you have till the next to get them to me.
5. NO UPDATES this is finale
6. You MUST AI YOUR OWN BOT.
7. Havok will be a one shoot deal. twice in the same match and your out.
8. 2 out of 3 signal elimination style
9. Bots must show controlled movement unless otherwise stated in the weekly rules.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 08:46:26 AM by 70 CUDA »
Holy crap they do exist!!!! :Rob2

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
Re: Weekend Warriors
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 02:00:33 AM »
This doesn't fit nicely in the current tournament system.  I really don't know what to think of it.  You'd have to have constantly ongoing discussion, signups, and videos threads simultaneously... basically it would need to exist outside the tournament rules.

It might be hard to maintain interest over several weeks, as building and AI'ing and submitting a new bot every week is a lot of work for some.  On the other hand, if you get good enough rotation in the 8 entries it might not matter.

Also, you would have to be really committed to this.  Assuming the bare minimum of a single-elimination 8-bot bracket, that's 7 match videos you'd have to upload every weekend, not to mention accepting and organizing entries in your game, making brackets and splashes, updating rankings (which would be a must for this type of ongoing tournament), etc.  A lot of people struggle with just 2 videos per month... I'm not saying it can't be done, just be aware what you're getting into.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 02:05:09 AM »
like Click said its going to be a lot of effort to AI 8 robots and Upload 7 videos a week.

how about 4 robots ?.. half the AI and only 3 videos ?

also think about disallowing things like updates, etc basically apply lag reduction to real time :P

Offline Clickbeetle

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 02:09:06 AM »
I was thinking that AI would be a requirement for all entries, to save time on CUDA's end.  I mean most people on here can do it at least rudimentarily (is that even a word?); they're usually just lazy and let the host do it.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 02:10:24 AM »
thats a good point also.. really its not that hard even to do a copy and paste job and could be a good incentive for people to learn..

Offline 70 CUDA

• Epic skulls= Epic win
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 02:17:49 AM »
it would be an AI yourself thing. i can help those that just dont get it on IMs and such. im on here all night every night and i dont really like haven to build or tweak my bots for 8-9 hrs. the time and effort part is no problem. as for the updates and such you guys have it right. i will not take any. it might need its own space but that will be fine with me. this is my idea and i dont want you guys to think all this has to land in a mods lap. if this gets the go ahead then you could give me control over that sec and not name me a mod i dont think i deserve that title yet. this way you all dont have to constely do the upkeep in the froums.

ALSO: im thinking BI WEEKLY. this way we have a week to vote and pick rules
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 02:52:55 AM by 70 CUDA »

Offline Clickbeetle

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 09:53:04 PM »
Biweekly sounds much more reasonable.

You should draw up some general rules that apply to all tournaments (stuff like no AAM or BFE, must show controlled movement, havok restarts, and all that).  Like the BBEANS general rules that I have.

Once you have those worked out, I guess you could start a poll to decide the special rules for the first tournament whenever you're ready.

Offline 70 CUDA

• Epic skulls= Epic win
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 04:14:37 AM »
rules are up. this sounded like a good idea to keep something ongoing and fun but i guess i was alone in that feeling. lol

Offline 70 CUDA

• Epic skulls= Epic win
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 08:42:04 AM »
scoring system is starting to come together. I was thinking anyone that wins will get something to put in there sig. it will be kinda like the WWII fighters where they put "X" for each plane they shoot down. you will get 1 for each week you win. if anyone can see a way to get this going and or make it fun. pls post. this is a really 3 sided discussion.

top post improved.

Offline 70 CUDA

• Epic skulls= Epic win
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 05:42:18 AM »
ok if dose not get any post then ill drop the idea. but i wanted to post that i was doing stuff for this so here is a rough draft of the reskined combat arena im working on. i might add a few hazards to this and im going to reskin the DSL tourney and any other that you guys might like to use. im about 20 mins in to the 5th ver tonight and want to know if if i can get 4 bots for a test tourney.

Offline Scrap Daddy

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 09:49:36 AM »
cool idea, when does this start?

Offline 70 CUDA

• Epic skulls= Epic win
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »
it will start if i can get at least 4 bots so i can show you all what it will be like. my nets messing up tonight so i might not post the arena skin till tomorrow.

Offline Clickbeetle

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 11:02:24 PM »
I was initially skeptical, but I think this could turn out to be a splendid idea.

If you need bots and cannot just use Nar AI bots you can use my Megawhirl VI and Allomancer (seeing as how I already have them conveniently AI'd and uploaded):

http://beetlebros.gametechmods.com/files/MWVI.zip

http://beetlebros.gametechmods.com/files/Allomancer.zip

Offline 70 CUDA

• Epic skulls= Epic win
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 02:06:43 PM »
thanks man. i could use Nar ai bots. ok ill have it all up by tomorrow at he earliest if me net keeps working.

Offline Stagfish

• Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 03:17:48 PM »
Some people cant AI, I'm not saying I cant because I can but you will lose a lot of people wanting to enter.

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 08:18:27 PM »
read through the discussion more

there is info about the DIY AI and why its included

Offline 70 CUDA

• Epic skulls= Epic win
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 10:28:54 PM »
If your new then ill AI the bot in return you will have to learn to at least do the copy and paste part before you may enter again. if you know how to AI and dont cause your lazy then your out. i mean come on it takes me all of 15mins max to AI a bot well. and i suck at it.lol