Author Topic: IMPORTANT CHANGES: Tournament Rule Change Discussion  (Read 34598 times)

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: IMPORTANT CHANGES: Tournament Rule Change Discussion
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2016, 07:27:27 AM »
We introduced a clause to allow conditional extensions depending on circumstances long ago to remove that sort of panic stress.

2 Week Technical Extensions can be granted on proof that the host has experienced technical issues while running the tournament.
Discretionary Conditional Extensions may also be granted, on proof that the tournament has been making progress closely previous to the deadline. This will mean you will have to upload at least 6 videos a week until the tournament is complete, and will not gain a Host Score point, however will mean you do not lose 1 from letting the deadline lapse.
True, I've read about this before, still think it would be better if a Tournament Host got a host point if everyone was ok with a little delay and if he did everything great otherwise/doesn't delay tournaments all the time, however I know it's a difficult decision between making sure that stuff goes right and making it as user friendly as possible, so I understand.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »
New rule in response to recent events. I didn't think this would actually have to be one:
You must not edit any entry you receive unless it is a necessary addition, or edit, to their smartzones (wiring is, also, an obvious exception). Any and all edits to problematic entries MUST be left to the entrant. Any failure to not abide by this rule will result in all matches in which the bot took part in being redone (and any subsequent matches it affects) in order for the entry which was unjustly edited to be represented correctly. If the original entry is problematic and is against the rules of the tournament, the builder must be contacted and be given at least 24 hours to fix the issue, assuming they were not contacted before signups closed. If the builder does not respond or does not wish to edit their entry, the bot must be removed from the tournament and the tournament restarted. If a host breaks this rule and does nothing to remedy the situation, their thread will be locked and a hosting ban of 1 month will be applied. This rule is for both entry level and major league tournaments.

And this is now an active rule:
From the day your sign ups are approved you have 3 months to complete your tournament.
This averages out 1 month for sign ups and 2 videos a week but you may spend the time however you see fit (more sign up time, more video time, whatever)

Once signups start, the host will be given a grace period of 14 days before a 3 month time limit begins in order to complete their tournament. This grace period is also given in major league tournaments.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:30:01 PM by yugitom »

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2016, 11:17:31 PM »
Its so weird seeing all these quotes from me when I didnt write any of that lol

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: October 17, 2016, 05:08:24 AM »
Its so weird seeing all these quotes from me when I didnt write any of that lol
Yeah, and it's also weird to see that new rule in place.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline Philippa

• The Queen of GTM
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • ✊ Viva la Standard! ✊
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2016, 06:43:26 AM »
Major League Tournament Rules
No limits to amount of active tournaments at 1 time
What not to do list:
  • Please don't start a new discussion topic before signing off.

Just noticed these two in the rules. Doesn't the bottom one prevent the top one?

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2016, 06:56:59 AM »
No

"No limits" refers to the rule we used to have of only allowed 8(?) entry level tournaments at once (AKA if there was 8 tournaments running currently, your thread couldn't go to signup), while there could be unlimited amounts of major league ones running and you could still get moved to signups.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2016, 11:42:44 AM »
A long overdue change to the tournament guide:
3)   If you cannot AI, do not start a thread until you have found someone who is willing to AI for you learn how to! The best place to ask for help is the General Tournament Discussion Thread.

Offline Gulden

• Am I still considered active?
  • Rep: 7
  • Currently trying to make a Riff in Time and Space.
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: Gulden#1901
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »
A long overdue change to the tournament guide:
3)   If you cannot AI, do not start a thread until you have found someone who is willing to AI for you learn how to! The best place to ask for help is the General Tournament Discussion Thread.
I don't see the point of this.  Is it just because of the host point?
I have several opinions.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2016, 12:01:30 PM »
Not entirely, it's also so that the host is 100% accountable if anything goes awry in their tournament. I suppose another thing is that I want hosts to know how to actually AI if their AI'er runs away and isn't there to help. All hosts should know how to AI. It's so easy, I really don't know why anyone who's serious about hosting wouldn't bother learning it.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2016, 01:00:22 PM »
This is now a rule:
Major League Tournament Rules

From the day your sign ups are approved you have 9 months to complete your tournament

From the day your topic is moved into signups, you will have 3 months to complete your tournament. However, if a major league host wishes to have more time to host their tournament (maximum of 9 months), they may apply for more time by pm'ing yugitom. The amount of time they get allocated will be judged based on premise and intended size. For example, a tournament like this would be allowed to run for 9 months, whilst a tournament like this would not be able to have any deadline extension.
If you didn't read about this when I brought up a page back, the reason this rule has been put in place is so that major league hosts don't have more time to do a tournament that is exactly the same as a minor league host's. Obviously, as stated, exceptions can be made, you would just have to ask if it's alright in the 'move to signups' pm.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: November 30, 2016, 10:51:30 AM »
can someone explain the point of having a  14 day "grace period" before the 3 month deadline begins since it's literally just an extra 2 weeks tacked onto the 3 months. like why instead of putting up the deadline with the 14 days added to it in the tourney management thread the 14 days are put up and then afterwards the 3 months are add. seems pretty dumb to me and just means someone has to then go back and remember to edit it.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: November 30, 2016, 10:54:13 AM »
Once the tournament goes to SBV, the grace period ends.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
Picking up on the tournament mod work until yugi is properly back and/or we have another tournament mod.
Message me for tournament stuff :)
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2017, 02:54:42 PM »
Idea for you guys: how would you feel about getting rid of the 3 week grace period and extending tournament time limits from 3 months to 4 months? This would hopefully make things easier for staff to organize, give hosts an extra week, and make the system possibly less confusing.

I've already talked with Thacker about it, and he seems pretty positive about it, so I'm wondering if anyone else has anything to add before it gets finalized.

All current tournament will also get a 1 week extension if the time limit is changed to make up for lost time.
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2017, 05:38:50 PM »
Idea for you guys: how would you feel about getting rid of the 3 week grace period and extending tournament time limits from 3 months to 4 months? This would hopefully make things easier for staff to organize, give hosts an extra week, and make the system possibly less confusing.

I've already talked with Thacker about it, and he seems pretty positive about it, so I'm wondering if anyone else has anything to add before it gets finalized.

All current tournament will also get a 1 week extension if the time limit is changed to make up for lost time.
I don't see why all tournaments get basically the same time limits. Shouldn't a "beat the X" tournament get less time than an 8-bot, which gets less time than a 16 bot etc?
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2017, 05:41:02 PM »

I don't see why all tournaments get basically the same time limits. Shouldn't a "beat the X" tournament get less time than an 8-bot, which gets less time than a 16 bot etc?

That would make sense, but a very generic policy is easier to apply.  Hence a flat 4 month time limit with potential to be extended rather than giving different tournament types, or even different hosts different amounts of time.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »

It's just a base time limit, people can ask for more time if they need it.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2017, 10:15:19 PM »
idea: we add what meta/weightclass the tourney is in the topic title so people know what it is right away

Offline Thyrus

• Rep: 19
  • Back to purple '17
    • http://www.youtube.com/Th
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2017, 11:22:34 PM »
I like that idea

Offline Reier

• Rieir
  • Rep: 8
  • I GOT 3RD IN RAW1
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards old BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »
 :thumbup

it'll help me weed out all the DSL irl ones
ALERT- Another WS coming up...
voted best bot builder two times and counting babayy. the best ra2 builder who has never won an actual tournament match
ReiAI pack for Ironforge
My drawings, and my webcomics
Why online PVP will save RA2
The problem with competitive IRL in RA2
I'm fine with hugging reier