Author Topic: Changes to display tournaments/ unofficial tournaments coming  (Read 1213 times)

Offline kill343gs

Changes to display tournaments/ unofficial tournaments coming
« on: October 07, 2017, 12:41:33 PM »
As currently written, display tournaments are specifically not to accept entrants of any kind. This was written at a point in time where we were essentially the only community involved with RA2. With the recent instances of redditbots, banter wars, etc, we feel as though this deserves a rewrite to accommodate these additional avenues of RA2 content that are not centered around GTM. We are currently in discussions on how best to bring you the best of both worlds.

We run our tournament section the way we do because we want to guarantee to you that your time won't be wasted when a tournament isn't finished or is run improperly or unfairly. We have staff that are specifically dedicated to ensuring that these run smoothly and in a reasonable amount of time.

For a game as old as this, we think it's important that we, in some way, shape or form, offer a platform for people to share and enjoy any content that relates to it. We hope to find a balance between the two sides to this issue.

Please understand that this is an issue that has just now gained our attention. I'm not interested in making sweeping decisions by myself or with minimal input. I don't always have the best answers for everything. I'm dedicated to making sure the staff as a whole gets a chance to be involved with these decisions, so they take a few days sometimes. In the meantime, we ask you to please respect the rules that are currently in place.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline TheIronsideProtocol

• Gearbox Screech Enthusiast
  • Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • "
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Changes to display tournaments/ unofficial tournaments coming
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 05:00:13 PM »
imo i say that if a tournament can't be run in the main tournament area because it doesn't fit those rules exactly, is private/a test-run of another system, or is a total meme/a first tournament attempt from a untrustworthy/unexperienced member it should go in personal tournaments. Just loosen up the rules on personal tournaments and allow anything in here as long as A: it's tournament based and B: it's not going to catch on fire and explode due to being too meme-y, flamebait, or anything else that could cause issues.

Basically, run a loose ship, and then run a tight ship on the rest of the tournament section.

In personal tournaments, you should allow: signups on non-standard/oddball/non-traditional tournaments or even non-tournaments (like perhaps an unofficial challenge board, ran and presented like robot wars extreme 1 or banter wars 2.5 (yeah, i know my banter wars biatch) (lol no i don't)), signups for tournaments that people don't want to overly hype and then underdeliver, or just tournaments run based on the bot exchange/ai packs.

Just my personal opinion. bit of a mess but there's a method to the madness.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 05:02:39 PM »
Opinion: If we allow people to do whatever they want in display, with no rules or deadlines, people won't run official tournaments. Why would they? If something happens and you have to drop your tournament, no consequences if it's a display!

IE If we run a 'loose ship', people will flock to that 'ship'
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline TheIronsideProtocol

• Gearbox Screech Enthusiast
  • Antweight
  • Rep: 0
  • "
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 06:03:46 PM »
Opinion: If we allow people to do whatever they want in display, with no rules or deadlines, people won't run official tournaments. Why would they? If something happens and you have to drop your tournament, no consequences if it's a display!

hmm. you have a point.

say we make it so that if a display tournament could, and probably should, be run in the official section and the person running it is a known good tournament hoster the tournament is automatically and mandatorily made official, and if the personal tournament hoster is known for failing tournaments (personal and official) then a failure gives them a full hosting ban?

Offline Asbestosstar

• Most Bizzare of 2017. Also2nd Best new host of 2017
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: -4
    • Asbestosstar Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Asbestosstar.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 06:39:21 PM »

wood be good for evento DOS, where i will recycle the rules to my 1st attempts for uno.
and it will be good for my next event, Big Rigs Over the road racing which has not AI due to it being a race fight.