Author Topic: [The Official GTM Tournament] GTM Championship - Signups closed  (Read 23876 times)

Offline Probably Rob

• The Forgotten Obscure Orgasmic Mime
  • Rep: 10
  • You might want your lips around my silent chorus
    • RobotMPire
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: [The Official GTM Tournament] GTM Championship
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2016, 07:56:24 AM »
someone at some point will get salty that their bot wasn't allowed but another one was

Y'know, I've actually helped others by trying to make their robot look more acceptable in the past through PM when I've declined them  ;T

That and I've given reasons as to why their robots have been declined, so I help 'em

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2016, 08:00:52 AM »
Is there anyone in that 12 that definitely wouldn't enter if it was Retooled (other than Mech)?

I have a little food for thought based on using Retooled..

If the tournament is to be run soon (which seems to be the case given the pacing of this discussion) there is the potential for exploitable aspects yet to be uncovered to the community (in extreme cases a Narmour like scenario for instance) I mean absolutely no disrespect to the great work made by Mr AS, the metagame is just young and in its early days.

If the tournament is set as a more distant project there is the potential for optimal designs to still shine through but all the bugs worked out.

Using retooled as an unknown is great in one situation but also a gamble in another.. it would still need to be tried and tested (perhaps in tournament situations) to truly work out all the nerfs and buffs thoroughly.

In my opinion the risk of optimal designs is a better trade off than the risk of exploits, as the more final release should be balanced enough to generate a "rock paper scissors" scenario but its a question if that fits the timeline for this tournament..   

Offline yugitom

• Rep: 17
  • Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2016, 08:08:46 AM »
That is a very good point. However, I'm not trying to rush tbe discssions at this point. I want to give most members to have a chance at voting in the poll. So, hopefully, any kinks are ironed out in the time it takes to sort everything else out for the tournament.

However, I would hope that builders that find any possible exploits will come forward and tell Mr AS, rather than keep it to themselves for the tournament.

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2016, 08:18:22 AM »
This may sound harsh but I refuse to enter if it's not Stock or DSL.

If it's gonna be Ironforge or Retooled, then it's my loss.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2016, 08:20:00 AM »

Bye, felica

Offline Mystic2000

• Utter Edgelord
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Used to suck at IRL, probably still does.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2016, 08:20:29 AM »

or you could grab your balls and learn a new meta like every guy who s'gonna enter this if it's in retooled will have to do....
Robocraft Username: Bob5768
PSN Username: Bob5768

Offline Jonzu95

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: -27
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2016, 08:27:48 AM »
grab your balls
sure ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline Meganerdbomb

• Rep: 6
  • Are you not entertained?
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2016, 08:34:22 AM »
I have to second JoeBlo on this. Retooled is a great mod, but it's still in Beta. Stock or DSL would probably be the best choice to kick off a major tournament. We can move on to the newer mods after the debut. Ironforge would probably be ok, since it also has an established (and very well balanced) metagame, but I feel like Stock and DSL are still the cornerstones of the community and have the widest appeal.
im just waiting for meganerdbomb to come along and kick things into gear.

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2016, 09:02:53 AM »
I really think it shouldn't be in Stock, just because there are so few design options that actually work in Stock.  Plus people have had so much time to optimize their Stock building.  I'm in favor of the Retooled idea.

That said, I haven't actually played Retooled at all yet.

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2016, 09:03:39 AM »
I'm cool with anything but Ironforge because I'm lazy. Retooled is weird but I can more or less understand the basic principles of optimization in it. Stock or DSL is cool with me, super out of practice at the former but certainly not opposed to trying it out for another big tournament.

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2016, 09:29:11 AM »
I'll leave this poll up for a little longer but, because I can definitely see where people are coming from with the fact that Retooled is only in beta and may have undiscovered bugs, I'm willing to do another poll for safe measure, which will include Stock, DSL, Ironforge and Retooled.

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2016, 09:44:27 AM »
TBH, it's really only beta in name only. The reason why it's a "beta" is because it currently only has 6 AI teams instead of 15, and also because I didn't expect to put as much in the beta as I ended up doing. All the components are there to get a metagame rolling. 70% of the default components and 60% of the cheatbot2 components are done, the other 30 and 40% mostly being misc. weapons. although these numbers don't take into effect any components that get left on the cutting room floor.

There are no exploitative components as far as I know, and I brainstormed out to see if there were any major tryhard/uncounterable designs with the cheatbot2 components. Closest thing I could think of is flying robots countering popups + HS only to be countered by VS + hammers, which I'm honestly okay with. I actually removed some of the things that made designs "broken" in other mods, such as piercing damage and caster armor.

the metagame is just young and in its early days.
Also worth noting that the metagame ain't going anywhere if nobody builds in it.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2016, 10:15:57 AM »
TBH, it's really only beta in name only. The reason why it's a "beta" is because it currently only has 6 AI teams instead of 15, and also because I didn't expect to put as much in the beta as I ended up doing. All the components are there to get a metagame rolling. 70% of the default components and 60% of the cheatbot2 components are done, the other 30 and 40% mostly being misc. weapons. although these numbers don't take into effect any components that get left on the cutting room floor.

There are no exploitative components as far as I know, and I brainstormed out to see if there were any major tryhard/uncounterable designs with the cheatbot2 components. Closest thing I could think of is flying robots countering popups + HS only to be countered by VS + hammers, which I'm honestly okay with. I actually removed some of the things that made designs "broken" in other mods, such as piercing damage and caster armor.

the metagame is just young and in its early days.
Also worth noting that the metagame ain't going anywhere if nobody builds in it.
Ye can we keep it retooled please thank you
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline JoeBlo

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2016, 10:58:25 AM »
I may have missed this point of discussion but does it need to be only 1 metagame? I mean it does generate additional work for the host(s) but would multiple metagames rather than weight divisions provide a more inclusive tournament for all groups of the community? (especially for a tournament named after said community)

Say..

Sportsman Class - ReTooled HW (Most balanced game with the most weight allowance)

Intermediate Class - DSL 2.2 MW (More optimised designs with less weight to play with)

Pro/Open Class - Stock 1.4 LW (optimise is basically a must with little weight to play with)   

Which pretty much sums up my whole post. :)

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2016, 11:06:56 AM »
That actually does seem like a much better way of getting everyone involved. In that case, there should be no reason why people don't enter. I'm fine with the amount work I'd be doing. Is there anyone that thinks this is a bad idea?

Offline J

• I don’t give a dimmadamn
  • Rep: 4
  • I sexually identify as a tall hat
    • I don’t care
    • I don’t care
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: I don’t care
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2016, 11:12:37 AM »
Obviously we should include RA1

I suppose if Stock LWs are a catagory, and if I remember this, I could throw something together.

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2016, 11:14:32 AM »
Seems good, except I would ban replica components for DSL2.2 or just use IF
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2016, 11:28:16 AM »
So, although I like the idea of multiple metagames, I don't want to rush ideas too quickly and leave untested ones in the bin. This tournament will be annual, anyway, so people will soon know what they prefer and, perhaps, after the 3rd iteration, a multiple metagame tournament may be easier.

For now, if you have even the slightest opinion on this subject and you want to give those views and vote on other propositions, please make my job easy and join the GTM Discord. You don't need to download anything, unlike Teamspeak, just make an account and join the discussion. The tournament will come about much faster and with a much better consensus, the more people that join in the discussion going on there. https://discord.gg/U5AJFC3

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »
Sportsman Class - ReTooled HW (Most balanced game with the most weight allowance)

Intermediate Class - DSL 2.2 MW (More optimised designs with less weight to play with)

Pro/Open Class - Stock 1.4 LW (optimise is basically a must with little weight to play with)   

Super into this idea. I would say have a vote between DSL and Ironforge because of their similarities.

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline yugitom

• Google Garry's Wars
    • TheYuGiTom
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2016, 12:02:42 PM »

Super into this idea. I would say have a vote between DSL and Ironforge because of their similarities.
Yet another thing the GTM Discord has decided on doing which I am going to act on. Seriously, if you want your opinion heard, it's much better to join the GTM Discord.

The poll will be changed to a decision between DSL and Ironforge. Stock and Retooled will definitely be part of the tournament.