Author Topic: Tahooper's Stock Showcase  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Tahooper

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Tahooper's Stock Showcase
« on: August 20, 2016, 10:10:58 AM »

Robot Name: Philip Dover

Weight: 397.7 (Middleweight)

Strengths:
  • Can flip most opponents easily
  • Decent speed
  • Self-rightable

Weaknesses:
  • Weak armour (plastic, to keep under the middleweight limit)
  • Can't score many points - relies on eliminating opponents by flipping non-invertible robots upside down, consequently immobilising them or flipping robots out of the arena/into the pit
  • Struggles against full-body spinners

Notable features: Due to the very low ground clearance, it sometimes gets stuck on the corners of ramps. To counteract this I have added a snapper II burst motor with a round extender which when fired goes underneath the robot to help dislodge it (also randomly mashing the flippers sometimes works).

Constructive criticism/ideas for improvement are welcome - after all this is my first basic robot  :smile:

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Tahooper's Stock Showcase
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 10:18:31 AM »
I like what you have so far, you've used up the weight limit and made perfect component choices. First thing to suggest is moving your wheels to the very back of the bot, which should help with the ramp problem and allow you to get rid of the blue snapper. The chassis wedge should also be twice as shallow as it is now in order to help against horizontal spinners. Lastly I would make the flipping wedges longer, it's harder to get those big flips with a short wedge.

Offline Tahooper

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Tahooper's Stock Showcase
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 04:24:09 PM »
I like what you have so far, you've used up the weight limit and made perfect component choices. First thing to suggest is moving your wheels to the very back of the bot, which should help with the ramp problem and allow you to get rid of the blue snapper. The chassis wedge should also be twice as shallow as it is now in order to help against horizontal spinners. Lastly I would make the flipping wedges longer, it's harder to get those big flips with a short wedge.

Hi sorry for the late reply.

Here is my updated robot:

Weight: 398.8 (+1.1)

I have made the wedge shallower and longer and the flippers longer too.

I've found it can self-right more reliably, so I didn't need the middle flipper and replaced it with a iron spike attached to extenders and a piston - so I can actually score points when immobilising an opponent isn't possible.

I also moved the wheels to the back like you advised and haven't had any problems with getting stuck so far.

Lastly, I added a front spike to add a little extra damage and get as close to the weight limit as possible.