Author Topic: RedAce's Stock Showcase  (Read 160885 times)

Offline Lightning S.

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 6
  • no one knows except the nose
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RedAce's Stock Market
« Reply #840 on: April 01, 2016, 10:08:24 PM »
good stuff. how stable is #2?

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #841 on: April 06, 2016, 11:09:07 AM »
I guess now that BOTM is over, I might a well post my entry.

It's nothing spectacular, yet it managed to earn the second place within votes.  I was actually kinda proud with how the splash turned out, with the exception of the text as I wish I went back and made the edges smoother and fix the text on where it was placed as it feels kinda unbalanced.  I wasn't  expecting to win,  but when it was going up against a clever Pokemon replica which made a good use of the cheatbot2 parts, I kinda felt like I can't make good things anymore and part of my brain shut down.   :(  I'm just not sure on how to win the audience now as there is a tough balance with making a bot that's cool or meme-like.  Okay off-topic salt and depression aside, I'm fine with the winner.  Well deserved victory.

Fun fact: I was originally going to name and skin the bot that was inspired by with that style in the splash.  I... don't think that would've went well during the voting process.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:09:15 PM by RedAce »

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #842 on: April 06, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »
A unique+well-built bot with a nice splash will always beat the meme entries. Combat effectiveness too, albeit appearing to be strong rather than actually being strong.

First off, dual flamethrowers would've looked nicer for the symmetry, and people always like snapper setups rather than baseplate ones (havok doesn't matter). Also, axes are ugly unless you skin them.

I fully believe this exact bot would've won if it had a better name and splash (background is way too colourful, gradients to fill text look awful, no battleshots), a nicer paintjob, and components skinned to fit whatever the theme is (if there is none, all-black or dark colours are pretty safe)

Offline Conraaa

• Certified Hood Classic
  • Rep: 10
  • I like my sugar with coffee and cream
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #843 on: April 06, 2016, 11:27:43 AM »
BOTM is an odd one. You can enter a great robot, not win, and then someone can take the exact same idea only worse and win not once but twice with it.

[/Salt]

I've put days of effort into BOTM robots before and it really is disheartening to not see the effort reciprocated in a win or even a high standing. All I can suggest is just disregarding the voting aspect of it entirely and just take the brief as a challenge, as something to do. If you submit something then you've already won, anything else is a bonus.

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #844 on: April 07, 2016, 04:11:36 AM »
off topic : what's up with the obvious clickbeetle propaganda in this botm ?

And yes, botm is always hit or miss.

/off topic

I liked this bot best of all. Mostly because it wasn't a LOL MEMEBOT, it was well built, it was a triple hybrid, and it had a flamethrower.

Grats for entering into this !

now for the flaws... The splash is indeed a bit colorful, and I feel the extender work could have been made a little bit less messy. But i'm being a nitpick.

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #845 on: April 07, 2016, 08:13:14 AM »
CAPTAIN MEMEBOT SWOOPS IN TO COMMENT

I liked yours.  The weird pixellyness of the text was a turnoff, though.  I didn't mind the colors too much.  Heck, I enjoy a colorful entry (see: Bonemera) and I liked the hybrid design.  I was expecting this to be a full-artbot month, since the cheatbot parts are so clunky and unhelpful, so your actual-combat design was neat to see.

Offline Clickbeetle

• In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #846 on: April 09, 2016, 12:06:59 AM »
I actually voted for this because I thought the asymmetrical weapons were cool.  Pin bots with the ramming axes, wear them down with the flamethrower, and finish them with the spinner (in theory).

090901's bot is almost certainly better but I just liked the hybrid factor here.  The only thing I don't like is the crooked wheels.

BOTM is an odd one. You can enter a great robot, not win, and then someone can take the exact same idea only worse and win not once but twice with it.

[/Salt]

I've put days of effort into BOTM robots before and it really is disheartening to not see the effort reciprocated in a win or even a high standing. All I can suggest is just disregarding the voting aspect of it entirely and just take the brief as a challenge, as something to do. If you submit something then you've already won, anything else is a bonus.

Also how many votes you get in BOTM has A LOT to do with what other people enter.  That May 2013 BOTM you linked to was filled with lots of really good bots.  By contrast, Mr. Bones won December 2015 by default for being the only entry, and Bonemera won with just 2 other bots to choose from.

But yeah, taking it as a building challenge is a good idea.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #847 on: April 09, 2016, 12:16:34 AM »
I personally didn't vote for your bot because it's just this robot:

(Image removed from quote.)

DSA, Nifty, 2 tanks, etc.

with a few components moved around.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #848 on: July 13, 2016, 04:58:46 PM »
Oh man, it's been a while.

This is my entry for Thrackerzod's Tricycle Takedown tournament.  DSA, 3 supervolt batteries, 2 air tanks.  Yes, it is a five part hybrid, a HS/Poker/VS/Hammer/Flamer hybrid to be more specific.  There's a lot of pairs of five references.  If you can find them all, then props to you my friend.  No, I'm not taking this seriously.  Who said I can't have fun making something in stock for once?

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #849 on: July 13, 2016, 05:01:37 PM »
I love it

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #850 on: July 13, 2016, 07:14:55 PM »
 :surprised: OMG! Cool Bots!

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Where creativity meets low expectations.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #851 on: July 14, 2016, 03:02:26 AM »
Insane design lol!

Its like Alien Queen sneezed while attacking a pile of random parts and morphed into one mash up of everything.
Tournament History:

Offline Naryar

• hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #852 on: July 14, 2016, 07:39:53 AM »
 :thumbup :thumbup

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #853 on: July 22, 2016, 02:41:38 PM »
A bit late, probably should've checked this thread sooner.

Looks like Trimera is F.I.V.E.S little brother, liking it.

By the time I joined GTM that bot of the month was already over, definitely would've voted for that, sadly the other bot was a almost 1:1 pokemon replica and since it looked so close more people probably voted for it. Maybe the font and gradient used for them(using top bright bottom dark) would've helped it a bit, then again it was up against a pokemon bot.

Also like others mentioned it seems very similar to an earlier bot you built, sadly probably the only way to do such designs.
Don't let your hopes get down, and if possible I'd highly suggest entering it again.

Pin bots with the ramming axes, wear them down with the flamethrower, and finish them with the spinner (in theory)
Clickbeetle pretty much summed up F.I.V.E.S fights, the flamethrowers did epic damage and the other weapons finished the bots off.

Was hoping for it to win. Only negative things about the bot are how it can't move much after the front supports are gone, but that's common for stock angled VS spinner and how the game just had to ruin the texture mapping(seriously RA2? No idea why it looks fine in the components tab, personally I've started making my own ruler(similar to what Starcore v3? has, or doesn't, because it isn't in my dl'd V3) with certain set heights and those don't seem to cause that issue.

I guess you know the "Flamethrower glitch"(how RA2 only sets the range of a flamethrower once you activate it and only updates it once you deactivate it again), normally you'd only be able to use the flamethrowers for a very limited time, also unlike what the wiki and a few other sources say, they do need a bit of battery power to fire.

I've seen some of your earlier bots, gotta say that they were really good, I can understand how you want to be more unique, but your updated bots were good as well and you shouldn't feel bad for that, a bit of your own design and a new skin, boom, new bot.

I know, not the right place to ask but is there anything which helps with stacking(other than having a big screen size+zooming so you get more precise movement)? For me it's been mostly random so far and stacking Co2 bottles looks like a lot of trouble.

Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #854 on: July 22, 2016, 03:33:18 PM »
Hey thanks man.  I appreciate that.  To answer some individual parts:

(long mega quote post.  sorry.)

Looks like Trimera is F.I.V.E.S little brother, liking it.
Wasn't intentional, but now I can't unsee that connection.  Thanks for that.

Also like others mentioned it seems very similar to an earlier bot you built, sadly probably the only way to do such designs.
Don't let your hopes get down, and if possible I'd highly suggest entering it again.
Yeah, I lok at it now and think I could have done a lot better with the splash.  It was just one of those "dangit why didn't I think of doing that beforehand" sort-of scenarios.  And I ain't pulling a Mr. Bones for the latter.  I'd like to keep things fresh as possible.

Was hoping for it to win. Only negative things about the bot are how it can't move much after the front supports are gone, but that's common for stock angled VS spinner and how the game just had to ruin the texture mapping(seriously RA2? No idea why it looks fine in the components tab, personally I've started making my own ruler(similar to what Starcore v3? has, or doesn't, because it isn't in my dl'd V3) with certain set heights and those don't seem to cause that issue.
It was either that or making it a box with wedges, and I know my luck with wedge wars.

I know, not the right place to ask but is there anything which helps with stacking(other than having a big screen size+zooming so you get more precise movement)? For me it's been mostly random so far and stacking Co2 bottles looks like a lot of trouble.
Having a lot of patience helps.  Stock is one of those games where you need to be accurate and precise as possible.  Also, give yourself some room in the chassis to make it fit easier.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #855 on: July 22, 2016, 06:09:31 PM »
absolute madman alert

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #856 on: July 23, 2016, 02:22:41 PM »
(long mega quote post.  sorry.)
More my fault for making such a big post to begin with.

Yeah, I lok at it now and think I could have done a lot better with the splash.  It was just one of those "dangit why didn't I think of doing that beforehand" sort-of scenarios.  And I ain't pulling a Mr. Bones for the latter.  I'd like to keep things fresh as possible.
At least you didn't do what I did with my last second bot(the wild thing like one).

Having a lot of patience helps.  Stock is one of those games where you need to be accurate and precise as possible.  Also, give yourself some room in the chassis to make it fit easier.
Yeah, also I might have found something out that makes it easier. Still can't fully understand why stacking is possible(I thought it had something to do with a component hitbox fully fitting into a different one, but since you can place components half clipping, that isn't really true).

Any plans on new Flamethrower bots?
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline RedAce

• Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #857 on: July 23, 2016, 02:32:13 PM »
Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Somebody (not that Somebody) toss up a bot type I should build with a flamethrower, and I'll present the attempt bot.  Please.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #858 on: July 23, 2016, 02:34:09 PM »
Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Somebody (not that Somebody) toss up a bot type I should build with a flamethrower, and I'll present the attempt bot.  Please.
Flame Spinner/SnS? I haven't really seen too much bots with flames, but having something with a huge flame ring and a few spikes to finish off battles would sure be nice to see, then again maybe that's common?
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards