Author Topic: Red Blur's "slightly stocky build" showcase  (Read 1528 times)

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
Red Blur's "slightly stocky build" showcase
« on: November 11, 2015, 03:42:45 PM »
So, my friends, a new frontier!

Yes, I have journeyed into stock, and HOLY CHRIST LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THE COMPONENTS!

So, anyway, my first bot is called Nuclear Dooky, and, with this bot, I have taken on a new form of presenting it (as I have become slightly more adept at using mspaint)

Yes, it does look rather crap, but it can beat most of the ai lightwieghts relatively easily.

It has titanium armour.

Thoughts? Tips?

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Red Blur's "slightly stocky build" showcase
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 04:04:29 PM »
Welcome to Stock, where balance doesn't exist and physics are optional!

Rule 1 of Stock: never change your bot's armor.  If you never click on the armor tab at all, you get Double-Strength Aluminum (commonly called DSA), which is just what the name implies.  It's stronger and lighter than Steel armor, so there's no reason not to use it.
Rule 2 of Stock: the only wheels worth using are shiny hubs (they're by far the lightest) and occasionally rubber wheels (they're slightly smaller, so they help bots that need incredibly small ground clearance).  If you make your chassis five "clicks" high (from the page where you decide your chassis height, put the slider all the way at the bottom, then slowly move it up until you've seen it click 5 times), you can use HP-Ztek motors for drive and be invertible with shiny hub wheels.
Rule 3 of Stock: the only weapons worth using are razors, iron spikes, maces, and sometimes bear claws.  Everything else is worthless.

You also need to build to the weight limit.  By the way, the default Stock AI is terrible, so grab an AI pack if you want your testing to mean anything.  Good luck!

If someone else who is better than me disagrees with one of these points, though, probably go with whatever they say.

Offline ecolusian

• care to spare a chromasome for this poor sperglord?
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 2
  • Keeping TRB in check since 2010
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 04:16:14 PM »
first off, remake the bot and dont click the armour tab, its a glitch called DSA and its essentially the best armour in stock its light as all hell and it can take a beating, also im a bit worried about the amount of batteries your bot has, finally you may wanna use black extenders and look up some guides on weapon experience if you want the best advice.

Component tier list of sorts: http://beetlebros.gametechmods.com/ra2stats.htm

A tutorial for nooblets like you, there transitional skills so you can use them in your ironforge game as well: http://beetlebros.gametechmods.com/ra2techs.htm

A guide to making custom components to turn up the heat ;) : http://beetlebros.gametechmods.com/modding.htm

finally a good stock builder to look out for are Redace and Sage(hence why i told you to change the extenders) look at their showcases and youll get some ideas for bots from their.
"Two things are infinite:the universe and human stupidity;and I\'m not sure about the universe" -Albert Einstein
*IF YOU ARE NEUTRAL IN THIS SIG BUSINESS PUT THIS IN YOUR SIG*

Offline RedAce

• Host of The Award Winning Deathmatch Series
  • Rep: 21
  • Yep, I'm that RedAce guy.
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
  • Discord: ThatRedAceGuy#3618
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 04:31:21 PM »
My advice is what the other guys said, but I would also not use Snapper II's for weapons, but instead use Snapper2's instead.  SnapperII's have no strength whatsoever and is better for Snapper Loading for bots with complex space saving maneuvers setups.  You also might be able to place a Plow in front of it and is pretty much essential is you want to keep that bot alive longer than 20 seconds against bots from Starcore AI v4, Restocked, INF AI, and ASAI (These are some AI packs I would recommend).

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 01:56:29 AM »
Stock master race

Umm yeah just take a look at some other showcases and see what they are doing. When I was starting out a just cloned a bunch of of the good bots at the time to see how they worked, and then once I built up the techniques I started trying out my own designs.
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline The Red Blur

• The real Jeff
  • Heavyweight
  • Rep: -10
  • Jesus, climbed up to -11 rep
    • not yet, m80 ;)
    • View Profile
    • completely uninteresting website.com
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 06:21:05 AM »
Right. I've taken these words into account. You should see Nuclear Dooky Mk. II in a matter of days... or hours...
[moverightfast] Ha Ha, stock is difficult to comprehend!   :rage :rage :rage :rage :rage :rage :rage :rage [/moverightfast]