Author Topic: Rainbow Impreza Tries To Do Stock But Fails Miserably  (Read 6731 times)

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
  • Rep: 3
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Rainbow Impreza Tries To Do Stock But Fails Miserably
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 05:18:45 PM »
Square connectors have the same HP as round ones, and as such are a waste of weight.

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 07:51:28 PM »
Square connectors have the same HP as round ones, and as such are a waste of weight.
Unless you use the 140 cm Square extender, which is only 5kg.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 08:17:13 PM »
oh right that probably is the 140cm extender isn't it. my bad.

Offline Joelu Of Eagleland

• Supreme Dorifuto Warrior; Speed Speed Lover, Game's Not Over
  • Lightweight
  • Rep: 2
    • https://www.facebook.com/
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: I'M GONNA STEP ON THE GAS
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 11:26:32 AM »
I made another robot, but this one is a little different from the others I've made. Protogen and Tempest Atomic Bomb were slight nods to other robots (Barberous and S3, respectively) but now I have made a proper replica of another robot. And personally, I think I did a pretty good job.

Wrong weight class, I know, but it's still pretty good visually. It preforms well too (even if the disc lacks range.)

The ram plates are there to protect the motor and to look like the support... beams...? For the disc. Big wheels, high top speed, damaging weapon, and the wedge is a bit bad to be honest. Still fun to use!
And the eyes. Tanto looks a lot better with them. Looks better with the disc too.

I'm not sure if you're supposed to post replicas in regular showcases, but I'm putting this here anyway.

(Image taken from the GTPlanet forums (Gran Turismo forums) which I am actually NOT on. I'll join sometime soon, though.)
(You can find me on the Wangan Midnight Expressway forums as well as GTM: http://wmexpressway.net/index.php?showuser=10331)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tournament Stats

Entered:

Fight W/L Record: 4-5
Set W/L Record: 1-2

Offline Avalanche

• Retired.
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: -34
  • Yeah, I don't know why I'm still here either.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: ThePootisPower#8377
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 02:00:48 PM »
I made another robot, but this one is a little different from the others I've made. Protogen and Tempest Atomic Bomb were slight nods to other robots (Barberous and S3, respectively) but now I have made a proper replica of another robot. And personally, I think I did a pretty good job.

(Image removed from quote.)

Wrong weight class, I know, but it's still pretty good visually. It preforms well too (even if the disc lacks range.)

The ram plates are there to protect the motor and to look like the support... beams...? For the disc. Big wheels, high top speed, damaging weapon, and the wedge is a bit bad to be honest. Still fun to use!
And the eyes. Tanto looks a lot better with them. Looks better with the disc too.

I'm not sure if you're supposed to post replicas in regular showcases, but I'm putting this here anyway.

Replicas can be posted in showcases and also in the Pay tribute with Replicas thread.

Also, I recommend switching to DSL or Ironforge if you wish to do replicas as you will have many more components to use.

Still, pretty good.
Former DSL HW champion.
Runner-Up in The Cybernetic Colosseum HW division.
Semi-finalist in RNP: Sword of Glory.
Robogames 1 BW Runner-up.
Professional cunt.
Man of a thousand alt accounts.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »
I guess it's not awful for a stock replica, but yeah you really want to go to DSL if you want to make replicas.

• Lightweight
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 05:34:12 PM »
This next robot is less "I made a thing" and more "I need help with a thing."

So, uh... say hello to Satan's hellspawn!
(that's not the name but it is an accurate description)

I'm not sure what I've done wrong here. I saw a lot of robots using Z-Tec motors for wheels in Geice's "The Cauldron" stock MW tournament and I decided I'd try making something along the lines of what everyone else made, as they knew a lot more about what they were doing than I did. But, whenever I try to test this, it can't move. It just stops dead right where it started.
For the record, I literally threw the weapon on there 5 minutes ago. I have no clue how much damage it does (probably not a lot)

Sooo... what exactly have I done wrong? Do I need to post more images of different viewing angles?

(Image taken from the GTPlanet forums (Gran Turismo forums) which I am actually NOT on. I'll join sometime soon, though.)
(You can find me on the Wangan Midnight Expressway forums as well as GTM: http://wmexpressway.net/index.php?showuser=10331)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tournament Stats

Entered:

Offline Lemonism

• Rep: 16
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 05:39:56 PM »
From the looks of it, you should try rotating the zteks so that the flat side is facing the ground. That should hopefully fix the driving issue.
Post some more pictures that show the rest of the chassis more clearly so that people can give you some more advice.
Download Mortis.py
Download some of my DSL2.2 Bots

• Lightweight
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 06:01:10 PM »
Rotating the Z-Tecs... Z-Teks... whatever way you say them, appears to have worked.
Here's another image of the robot; I'm starting to think the 2 wheels on the front aren't necessary.

The chassis is supposed to be a 'H' because I wanted to call the finished entry "Full Metal Honda" because I'm a car freak and I'm bad with names. Was gonna make this;
kawaii hachiroku needs to be a robot now.
However that's an idea I'm saving for RA3.

Tournament Stats

Entered:

Offline Sircreepalot2

• Lightweight
  • Rep: 4
  • So how about that airline food?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 06:01:53 PM »
from the looks of it, it doesn't really even look liike it needs the wheels outside of the chassis.  also, weight?
"You've heard the hymns, whispered throughout the lands. 
ooo macho madness oo o macho madness
OOO MACHO MADNESS OO O MACHO MADNESS"
                      -Macho Man Randy Savage

2nd place in Plan B- mcfreakinloseit

Offline 090901

• alcoholic in denial
  • Rep: 22
  • :mrgreen:
  • Awards Donated money for site hosting 2019 GTMCS2 Divison Winner GTMCS Division Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 06:03:53 PM »
if someone makes a bot called kawaii hachiroku it needs to have something like popup headlights but instead of headlight it would have generic cute anime girl eyes

• Lightweight
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 06:05:56 PM »
from the looks of it, it doesn't really even look liike it needs the wheels outside of the chassis.  also, weight?
It weighs 391.8 KG. The wheels on the outside thing is because they don't fit inside. And because I saw everyone else do it in the "The Cauldron" tournament. I assumed it was a good idea.

Tournament Stats

Entered:

Offline Clickbeetle

• Rep: 21
  • In Soviet Russia, bugs stomp YOU!
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Beetle Bros site
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 10:35:14 PM »
It weighs 391.8 KG. The wheels on the outside thing is because they don't fit inside. And because I saw everyone else do it in the "The Cauldron" tournament. I assumed it was a good idea.

They almost fit inside though.  For maximum efficiency, you should do one of two things: Make the chassis slightly bigger so the drive will fit inside, or make it much smaller so there is just enough room for the baseplate anchors.

Most people put drive motors externally because it allows the chassis to be smaller.  With a big chassis, it is better to have internal drive because your motors won't fall off then.

4WD is cool but totally inefficient unless at least two of the motors are HP Z-teks.  4 normal Z-teks are about as powerful as 2 HP Z-teks but almost twice the weight.

I kind of like this design; I can't remember seeing anyone build a serious 4WD MW spinner before.  4WD is so heavy on a MW you usually only see it on rammers.

To lack feeling is to be dead, but to act on every feeling is to be a child.
-Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

• Lightweight
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 02:52:12 PM »
I changed the robot a little.
I made the decision to make it 2WD so I could fit A) more razors onto the disc and B) wedges onto the robot. This was at the sacrifice of some of the battery power, but I thought "It's -2 Z-Teks so it should be enough with one large battery."

I did want to stick with the 4WD design, but I feel as if that wouldn't have worked as effectively as I'd want it to. The disc's blades are low to the ground, so that should work well with the wedges.
The 2 razors facing upwards on the disc may be unnecessary; I'm not sure. It now weighs 393.8 KG. Uses DSA. Hopefully it's still within the Back To The Roots tournament rules; I'm unsure if the disc having 6 razors breaks any rules.

Tournament Stats

Entered:

Offline Fracture

• Super Mega Hyper Giga
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 11
  • how about i shove my big dog up your hanky panky
  • Awards GTMCS2 Divison Winner BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2016, 03:08:17 PM »
Looks great, you should be able to handily beat Stock MWs with that. The only thing I can advise is to save weight by reducing empty chassis space to upgrade the weapons and get HPZ drive. Try moving the two back anchors to the space behind the centre anchor; splitting the black into two Nifties might help if you want symmetry.

Offline R1885

• Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2016, 03:42:02 PM »
-Uneven wedges are a no. Mount the Snapper 2 motors perpendicular to the chassis to improve the wedges

-There is no reason to have the drive motors hanging out, get them internal to save a little bit of weight

-Try to get HP-Ztek drive, they only add ten more kilos

-Stay away from angle connectors, they waste a ton of weight

• Lightweight
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2016, 04:18:55 PM »
-Uneven wedges are a no. Mount the Snapper 2 motors perpendicular to the chassis to improve the wedges

-There is no reason to have the drive motors hanging out, get them internal to save a little bit of weight

-Try to get HP-Ztek drive, they only add ten more kilos

-Stay away from angle connectors, they waste a ton of weight
I was able to even out the wedges, but that was all I was able to do with the design. I could put the wheels facing inwards, but then I had the "it doesn't move" problem again. I'd rebuild the robot if it's really necessary, but I think I'll go over the weight limit if I do. It's probably worth a shot, anyway.

Tournament Stats

Entered:

Offline Naryar

• Rep: 21
  • hybrids oui oui
    • http://www.youtube.com/us
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2016, 08:14:48 AM »
design isn't bad, you however need to remake your chassis to save weight. also use HP zteks.

Offline Badnik96

• tired of your shit
    • Badnik96GTM
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • BattleBots Wiki
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2016, 04:39:25 PM »
You're definitely improving. You need to shrink your chassis though. I get the whole theme you have with the H shape, but you're unnecessarily hindering yourself in the weight department.

• Lightweight
    • Joelu Of Eagleland
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2016, 05:10:10 PM »
This is just before I finish up the rebuild of the robot. I was wanting to ask;
(I'm not showing the whole thing yet.)

I turned the wedges upside down (180 degrees) so the wedge wouldn't be as steep, and therefore they would be more effective at getting in underneath other robots (theoretically.) Is that right, what I've done there? Is it better to do that or to have them the right way up? Or does it not matter either way?

Tournament Stats

Entered: