Author Topic: R01's Showcase Thread  (Read 21487 times)

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • I wish to be with my people
  • Awards BOTM Winner Donated money for site hosting 2019
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: R01's Showcase Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2016, 11:32:54 AM »
Hammers like that almost always have 2 wedges and 3+ plows instead of those ramplates. You should learn about stacking and other basic glitches if you're dead-set on getting better at stock, otherwise there's no real point to building in stock. Try stacking 2 blacks together and putting the 4 drive motors on 1 or 2 snappers using the eFFe glitch, and using your spare weight to shrink the chassis a crapton and maybe get another DDT.

Also, use shinies or rubbers (or very situationally slipperbottoms), not N-12 wheels.
also lol at most toxic guy around calling others out on this sh**
Google Drive with my newer bots

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2016, 11:35:17 AM »
Hammers like that almost always have 2 wedges and 3+ plows instead of those ramplates. You should learn about stacking and other basic glitches if you're dead-set on getting better at stock, otherwise there's no real point to building in stock. Try stacking 2 blacks together and putting the 4 drive motors on 1 or 2 snappers using the eFFe glitch, and using your spare weight to shrink the chassis a crapton and maybe get another DDT.

Also, use shinies or rubbers (or very situationally slipperbottoms), not N-12 wheels.
I have to use N12's for the ground clearance, Slipperbottoms(which the concept bot had) wouldn't work and I also didn't see many glitches that would have use in this setup.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2016, 11:42:10 AM »

I have to use N12's for the ground clearance, Slipperbottoms(which the concept bot had) wouldn't work and I also didn't see many glitches that would have use in this setup.
Then you haven't looked hard enough, friend!

Stacking is basically required on nearly 100% of stock bots

You're taking up so much chassis space with those z-tecs, you can mount them on blue snappers to save weight.

Shinies should always make contact with the ground, and having larger wheels hurts your ground clearance. If your ramplates are too low, raise them up (even though you should be using plows or casters for a trapping hammer)

Basically stock is about efficiency, and part of that is getting as small a chassis as possible. Right now your chassis is bloody gargantuan.

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2016, 11:44:25 AM »
Your build style is really not suited to the Stock meta. These bots would work so much better in DSL.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2016, 11:45:15 AM »
Your build style is really not suited to the Stock meta. These bots would work so much better in DSL.
Or Ironforge!

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2016, 07:17:02 PM »
So I'm back, well somewhat.

What happened:

This part isn't really that important I guess.
Kinda decided to quit the forums for a while after a DRM discussion that happened in the RA3 thread pre launch.
I didn't get warned or anything but wouldn't agree with the decisions done.(hope that I don't get a warning or anything for saying this), second I wasn't quite happy with this thread as well.

I am well aware that Stock meta is different, but guys, can't one build the bots that they want as long as they are still effective in their building class?(just to make it clear, I'm not saying this to anyone directly, more in general) I don't see much use in those comments, if I want to build a unrealistic bot then I will. I'm building bots the way the developers probably intended bot building to be, using a few glitches but nothing big like component stacking or hax mode. If you find that boring then please watch another thread.

The entire plan behind smasher was not to make a generic hammer bot but to make something that can actually defeat the most heaviest spinners(which somewhat works in earlier Starcore versions) completely without any of the big glitches(with that said some Starcore bots don't seem to use clipping glitches as well) and not being an all offense bot.

I've heard how disappointing RA3 was and how the devs at least bothered to fix some things like chassis collision, looks like it's getting better but still a ok game, outclassed by RA2 in certain ways. Don't own RA3 so I probably can't say too much about it, but if the devs keep on updating and fixing this we should hopefully have something fun and playable.

What I've been doing.

I've been still playing Robot Arena 2, creating some Battlebots Season 1(while watching Season 2) replicas as well as a few of my own things in Starcore.
Smasher got a completely new version with a bracket shaped chassis, that sadly meant less space and resulted in odd drive motor placement which allowed for very nice skid steering when turning but resulted in a sluggish bot. later changed that again new smasher with a L shaped hammer instead of a straight I one works better however that hammer setup seems to add a lot of weight making it easy to fall over on it's side, self righting is still an issue so this is bad. Overall the smasher series didn't fully work out, not giving up hope yet but it's something for later.

I've been doing other tests(as well as custom decal textures, which you can't see here because of a glitched screenshot) with bots as well, keep in mind that those were only testing bots nothing serious:

Turbo, after realizing that stopping a spinner wouldn't work I thought about wedge designs and popups, the wedge is way too steep on this one resulting in it getting hit while trying to lift up bots.

This was supposed to be the next test, longer wedge that isn't steep so the spinner can go up perfectly, when I noticed I could turn it into a middleweight I did and here we are.
The popup setup was once again done this way to test something(in this case, avoiding the razors getting cut off by other active weapons) but I can defnitely see why rear hinged popups are used. While it allows for comboing, the way the other robots fly off depends a lot on their shape, very annoying if you flip a bot just to see it's side spinner hit your top(kinda like the Dantomkia vs IG-88 match in Series 7 of Robot Wars). The big chassis might look bad but almost all spinners can directly be attacked from the front without taking damage, however steering a tiny bit sideways and you will get quite a lot of damage. Still better to fix up 1 chassis instead of having to spend repair time on other components(then again in tournaments that doesn't matter).

During testing I also found out that doing a full body spinner in stock would be possible, however it wouldn't be effective at all.

Gotta say, congratulations to the builder of Maelstrom, that bot has been the toughest of Starcore bots in V4 so far, trying to stop it from spinning has only resulted in instant loss of ramplates and knockouts a second later, also nice caster armor making it almost impossible for popups.
While doing those bots I did check all the guides for RA2 glitching and messed around with it, entered HAX mode, stacked batteries and zteks, found out the specialities of the Snapper 2 and so on, so maybe expect a proper Stock bot one day.

What's new:
After seeing RedlineM203's RA3 showcase I was thinking about rebuilding some of the concept art designs(had that idea a while ago but didn't really do anything with it), while building I got the idea to make an entire team and that's what I got in the end:

Based on the concept art:

Not the first time I've done a LW wedge VS, excuse the mouse position(which jumped there while trying to screenshot it)

Originally wanted to add two spiked hammers to make it look like a jaw, however that caused trouble and didn't look too good so I went with facespinners instead(also fits the team theme better).

Yeah, very underweight heavyweight, probably going to rebuild it soon.

The idea behind those teams is to be an alternative to the stock ones, not impossible super hard to beat, but something that's still possible with bots that are build like the developers would've intended/somewhat realistic.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 05:55:56 AM by R01 »
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
  • Rep: 22
  • anti-boomer super soldier
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2016, 09:43:14 PM »
do you have 3 or 6 AI bots per team? just wondering because it doesn't look like you have the ui from v2 or v3 and went to straight to v4
DSL-IRL is the libtard’s meta. Go drink more soylent, retard! #BLUELIVESMATTER

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2016, 02:59:23 AM »
do you have 3 or 6 AI bots per team? just wondering because it doesn't look like you have the ui from v2 or v3 and went to straight to v4
Actually I'm building those in a modded copy of RA2 which has a better grid and height graphic making it easier to build and then export them to Starcore. I was wondering if v4 needed earlier packs, currently I have a copy of RA2 with SC1 and one that was directly patched with v4(so I only have 3 bots, thought that SC4 would make them 6 via the teams file but guess not), will patch that later.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Where creativity meets low expectations.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2016, 03:49:47 AM »
Actually I'm building those in a modded copy of RA2 which has a better grid and height graphic making it easier to build and then export them to Starcore. I was wondering if v4 needed earlier packs, currently I have a copy of RA2 with SC1 and one that was directly patched with v4(so I only have 3 bots, thought that SC4 would make them 6 via the teams file but guess not), will patch that later.

Yeah if you grab v3 first, it has all the UI updates and stuff, then v4 just adds additional teams and bots.

I admire your style for sticking to "fair play" as it were. Let me tell you that you are not alone in some ways. I am against using hax mode and file editing your bot in Stock, but I find the odd glitch only helps with creativity. Putting the black batteries on top of each other for example means you've got more room for everything else, if that means more drive, more weapons or more armour, great!

RA2 should be fun above all, so if you have fun building replicas and sticking to "realistic" design bots without intersecting components, that's fine. You can still enter tournaments, enter competitions and challenge other members, but the bots you build will (more often than not) be at a disadvantage to the members who do use glitches and stuff and everyone here will always try and advise you how to be more "competitive", but just play the way you do - you don't have to follow anyone's advice if you don't want to!
Tournament History:

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2016, 01:14:17 PM »

Yeah if you grab v3 first, it has all the UI updates and stuff, then v4 just adds additional teams and bots.

I admire your style for sticking to "fair play" as it were. Let me tell you that you are not alone in some ways. I am against using hax mode and file editing your bot in Stock, but I find the odd glitch only helps with creativity. Putting the black batteries on top of each other for example means you've got more room for everything else, if that means more drive, more weapons or more armour, great!

RA2 should be fun above all, so if you have fun building replicas and sticking to "realistic" design bots without intersecting components, that's fine. You can still enter tournaments, enter competitions and challenge other members, but the bots you build will (more often than not) be at a disadvantage to the members who do use glitches and stuff and everyone here will always try and advise you how to be more "competitive", but just play the way you do - you don't have to follow anyone's advice if you don't want to!
Personally I don't mind Hax and Bot File editing as long as they are in their own league. Having a bot, which is designed to be "fair" just like the developers planned, vs something that uses all glitches and hax isn't exactly right, having them in their own categories is perfect. With that said, I will do bots like that later and do plan to enter tournaments with stock rules, however looking at some bots of the recent tournaments, they don't seem to use too many glitches(part of which is their design).

As for stacking and a few other glitches, I agree it's just like you said, the space or power(in case of motors) is needed, exactly the reason why I'd like to create a more balanced stock mod so that those components are better. Doing recreations is also kind of a pain, the chassis usually needs to be really big, however in order to make proper heavyweights out of them there isn't enough space. I'd say ironforge gets the closeset with that, making components much smaller. When building one of those spinners I was quickly surprised how easy you'd reach the weight limit, only because of the discs/spinners that have 2-3 spikes placed on extenders per side.

In a way it's like Sage said on the first page, it isn't the meta HS with 4 motors, VS with Snowplows, SnS or Popup, but stuff still works if it's a decent bot, that has shown when I entered the Atomizer series into Starcore1, as long as you have a working wedge, that's low enough, spinners won't hit you(which makes me thinking about a pyramid bot, but then there's space as well as hammers). The Atomizer designs are definitely not something I plan entering but there might be other bots.

Of course the feedback is all optional, that's why my post wasn't directly adressed at someone, there will definitely be bots that can enter competitions while others are made on a (good) stock RA2 level.

Thanks for the feedback, a bit offtopic but I do have a question about your bot, how did you get the maces as well as razors on the drums?
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2016, 01:24:05 PM »
Hax mode and BFE are not considered to be a part of the standard stock glitches and are almost always banned. Every other glitch is usually allowed (effe, stacking, snapper loading, etc)

Offline Hi5er

• GTM Member Since 2010
  • Middleweight
  • Rep: 0
  • Where creativity meets low expectations.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2016, 08:29:43 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, a bit offtopic but I do have a question about your bot, how did you get the maces as well as razors on the drums?

You wouldn't approve :D but it uses a technique called Axle Loading (I think). Then a whole lot of patience and rotating till everything clips together.

Maces are annoying because they aren't easy to overlap with anything, razors easily rotate inside each other so I fit the 4 maces on the end of the extenders and attached the razors one by one, rotating and removing everything until it all fit together.
Tournament History:

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2016, 08:51:46 AM »

You wouldn't approve :D but it uses a technique called Axle Loading (I think). Then a whole lot of patience and rotating till everything clips together.

Maces are annoying because they aren't easy to overlap with anything, razors easily rotate inside each other so I fit the 4 maces on the end of the extenders and attached the razors one by one, rotating and removing everything until it all fit together.
Already replied to it in the Tricycle Takedown Tournament, but I'm actually ok with most stock glitches, almost all versions of the Atomizer series use the common "snapper glitch"(not loading) attach something, move it out of the way, move back and it's inside the other object, Pistons are just so big and bulky to work with, I guess it's the same with other glitches, likethe game not allowing some stuff that clearly should be possible(like only certain weapons being allowed to clip the chassis) or refusing to attach a mace because it's so close to the other, would use glitches to get those to work.
Would rotating really be needed(other than the Razors which aren't hard if I remember right) if you used the loading glitch? Keep in mind that you can press pause so it doesn't snap back after something gets attached.

So I'm mostly not using glitches to their maximum and not building combat effective designs, part of the issue is how RA2's chassis system works.
Some time ago I made myself some thoughts on how a great Robot Combat game would be and came to the conclusion that allowing people to build their own chassis(similar to how you model stuff, making vertex and faces(would also include faces with 4 vertex instead of 3) and then allowing them to set the material on each of those faces/sides would work best. Those sides would all have individual health and be ripped apart once they took enough damage and had a heavy hit. So instead of having a chassis with HP that needs to be worn down(which people make it small as possible and put all kinds of stuff around, mostly destructive weapons because sadly, weapons>defense, at least in stock) you would actually need to rip that control board right out of a robot, damage it's batteries or take off all wheels to knock them out.

So, I haven't really posted much in a while, here's something:

Your generic HS, made to show that I know about stock's glitches and can use them. Personally I think it's bad, way too big chassis, only the two bars on the outside have double spikes and in order to have enough weight, the bottom only has 5 casters, covering a bit more than the half of it.

Experimental angled VS, this thing originally started with 4 tribars(only the inner ones were having double spikes) all mounted to two Snapper2's. Worked fine in the test garage but always flipped itself over in the other arenas, made it less steep(but more wide), two motors on Servos and added protection to the most vunerable parts.

Yes I know about the wheels, there are two reasons for that, one for ground clearance, I've got the plows so far down that they work very well against certain wedges, I've seen some wedges fail to get under it, and second because of looks, yes I thought I'd just spend a bit of extra weight on that.
Don't think it will do good as it has a hard time hitting stuff(the wedges are more spread out than Alien Queen so it should work better?) and not sure what way the bars should spin, spinning upwards would be better but I've seen better performance against Popups and HS when spinning downwards.

Both bots use stacked Supervolts(stacking them has been a pain and I'm trying to find ways to do it more frequently, apparently turning helps?)
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2016, 09:18:19 AM »
VS looks pretty cool. When was it flipping, when it was hit or when it started to spin up?

As for stacking, I find it to be a massive pain in the ass too. To be honest, usually I just RA2CF or BFE the 2nd black in after I've built everything else. It's a waste of time otherwise.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2016, 09:25:09 AM »
VS looks pretty cool. When was it flipping, when it was hit or when it started to spin up?

As for stacking, I find it to be a massive pain in the ass too. To be honest, usually I just RA2CF or BFE the 2nd black in after I've built everything else. It's a waste of time otherwise.
Spinning up, , it was like the motor created so much force that the entire bot lifted up to the front, then the spinner hit the ground and dragged itself over.
This happened all the time even if I let the bot land first, however not in the testing garage.
Using servos seems to fix this howere there are new issues with this. As you can see they both have the same height, however after some battles they suddenly have different heights and I also had to make them a bit higher as for some reason, one suddenly started to hit the ground which it never did while building.

I was thinking about using other glitches, but wouldn't that be somewhat against the rules?
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Badger

• Permanent Artifact
  • Giga Heavyweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2016, 09:51:34 AM »
I mean nobody can tell if you BFE/RA2CF to stack blacks. The rules really mean "Don't do stuff that's only possible with RA2CF or BFE etc", such as tiny invincible chassis with battery armour etc

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2016, 02:28:08 PM »
I mean nobody can tell if you BFE/RA2CF to stack blacks. The rules really mean "Don't do stuff that's only possible with RA2CF or BFE etc", such as tiny invincible chassis with battery armour etc
Component order in the bor file was the generally how you could tell if someone was using bfe

Offline Squirrel_Monkey

• Squirrel_Monkeyweight
  • Rep: 7
  • [Insert clever and witty comment here]
    • 0SquirrelMonkey0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »
Component order in the bor file was the generally how you could tell if someone was using bfe
How? Back when I couldn't stack blacks I just stacked two anchors and then changed the component.
Better than GK since 2009.
I think SM is a pretty cool guy, eh builds unicycle-bots and doesn't afraid of anything

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2016, 03:09:04 PM »
How? Back when I couldn't stack blacks I just stacked two anchors and then changed the component.

c'mon guys
movepixel for life

Offline 09090901

• competitive irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2016, 03:37:46 PM »
Bots that have heavy snapper loading usually have a few "spots" in the build order when batteries can't be placed. As long as you're not dumb it's almost untraceable.

Unless you can see the battery flash, try not to spend more than 15 seconds in one camera position. Go to another tab, zoom and then try again. Blacks are also one of the items that rotating does help, so rotating it 180 gives you another position to try.