Author Topic: Onnaj's Showcase (stock)  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
  • Rep: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Onnaj's Showcase (stock)
« on: August 09, 2016, 03:33:20 PM »

This is my first ever creation(stock), he started out named test, And i thought he would suck, but he actually brings alot of power against other LW bots.

So what do you guys think, and please dont hold back.

ps, you cant see it in the pic but it does have a balancing thingy under the bot
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:00:04 PM by Onnaj »

Offline R1885

• Rep: 3
  • Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Onnaj's Showcase (stock)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »
Of note:

You can save a great deal of weight by going with Shiny hub wheels

Its better to have one piston loaded with weapons rather than multiple pistons armed with one weapon

Your design has more battery than you need, two pinks would be enough

You have a lot of empty space, make it tighter to save weight

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 03:54:09 PM »
Of note:

You can save a great deal of weight by going with Shiny hub wheels

Its better to have one piston loaded with weapons rather than multiple pistons armed with one weapon

Your design has more battery than you need, two pinks would be enough

You have a lot of empty space, make it tighter to save weight

Thanks ^^,

The space very true, only thing i wonder if it keeps the same pushing power?
Why one piston loaded? i get that it does more dmg but the weight adds up quick and that would mean no back protection or attack, one of its strong points, when he gets pinned by two other bots he can still attack them both.

The big battery is because i had no idea how much it would draw and u dont get an overview so yes, need to change that.

So in short, casis check, battery check, wheels check, why do you think one piston is better?  taking into account the back attack and def.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 03:58:05 PM »
Oh hey, so you meant that Stinger. Wasn't sure if you meant the one used in Battlebots or the Robot Wars one.
What armor does this have?
In case you don't know, in early stages the game used to have armors that had double the HP of what the current ones have. All AI bots use such armor and if you don't touch the armor tab you get double stenght aluminium(DSA) which is stronger than steel and weights just as much as normal aluminum.

People usually only use Shiny Hub Wheels(they're the lightest) and rubber wheels(give you zero ground clearance with HP motors), if you have leftover weight or need them for strange designs, then feel free to use the other wheels.

Not sure how much use that weapon on the back has, think it would be better to just make one weapon and place a T connector on it, together with 20 cm extenders you should be able to put 4 razors on there, now that will really pack a punch.
Like already mentioned by other users, you can make the chassis smaller which should allow you to put on smaller wheels and more weapons. The battery should be more than enough(given that it's only needed for the drive), might want to downgrade that. Not sure how much air that Co2 canister gives but once you reach about half your weapons will start to lose power(still think it's enough for a LW).
Maybe you can get enough weight to even increase the drive motors to normal Zteks. Try to keep them in this wide position like now, because more distance means better turning(where it's the opposite in real life), so you probably want to have a chassis that's T shaped(just like the Stock AI Stinger, except the other way around).

As for back weapons, most matches in Robot Arena 2 are 1vs1 and the AI'd robots(you will probably learn how to AI bots later) only attack front on front and don't drive to the back of a bot, that's why people usually only put stuff on the front. Imagine it like those anti spinner wedges you've seen in Battlebots, Front and a bit of side.
Tournament History:
Showcases:
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=18882.0
https://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?topic=19197.0

Offline R1885

• Rep: 3
  • Forum shopping list generator.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 03:59:57 PM »
As the AI only attacks head on, having moving weapons on the rear is considered a waste of weight. At most consider a static spike, but know that LWs can't afford to waste any weight.

Size has no effect on pushing power, its all in the motors. A larger chassis by base-plate size does increase HP, but the added weight is often not worth it.

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 04:01:19 PM »
As the AI only attacks head on, having moving weapons on the rear is considered a waste of weight. At most consider a static spike, but know that LWs can't afford to waste any weight.

Size has no effect on pushing power, its all in the motors. A larger chassis by base-plate size does increase HP, but the added weight is often not worth it.
You ninja'd me on that one while I updated my post. They do have uses in rumbles but most matches are 1vs1 in tournaments.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 04:10:06 PM »
Great thanks for all the tips guys.  Ive only been playing the standard cups with the ais and yes they are  stupid as **** i know but in 4 bot fights i did get pancaked a few times haha.

Ill update her tomorrow so in the meantime keep going! thanks in advance ;) ow and if somebody would like to, id like to test her out tomorrow against a real player. if anybody is up for it, would be my first match ^^

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 05:07:29 PM »
Great thanks for all the tips guys.  Ive only been playing the standard cups with the ais and yes they are  stupid as **** i know but in 4 bot fights i did get pancaked a few times haha.

Ill update her tomorrow so in the meantime keep going! thanks in advance ;) ow and if somebody would like to, id like to test her out tomorrow against a real player. if anybody is up for it, would be my first match ^^
Online multiplayer is sadly a bit hard to get working, people say that it desyncs rather often and bots with many parts don't work well, however as far as I understand people have only been using hamachi and not portforwarded stuff before(would love to test that with some members, Thrack, Hi5er, Redace ? anyone up for that?) so dunno how that works but I don't expect it to be perfect.
The way tournaments are done is that your bot gets AI'd(so it's basically part of a AI team and the AI controls it, don't worry we have better AI files than the stock ones so they won't drive stupid as long as you set them up right :P) and then fights another AI'd bot.

If you want harder AI bots then check out the Starcore packs.
They're known for having some of the hardest bots, so keep in mind that those are built with the stock building glitches in mind and to be competitive for tournaments(instead of the stock ai which was more built how the game devs intended stuff to be and can range from bad to somewhat decent)
There isn't really a good middle ground between stock ai and Starcore, but the first few packs are rather outdated by today's standard so they aren't as difficult as the new V4(a beta of that can be found in the downloads section, needs to be patched over V3)
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 07:54:24 AM »
Ah oke i had no idea that in tournaments the ais does the work XD i feel oldskool nooby haha.

well i upgraded stinger, meet stinger II

I know i could have get even a little less width pack it even tighter. for the rest, unleash upon me!

for now special thanks to R1885 & R01

Offline R01

• Heavyweight
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 08:12:09 AM »
Ah oke i had no idea that in tournaments the ais does the work XD i feel oldskool nooby haha.

(Image removed from quote.)

I know i could have get even a little less width pack it even tighter. for the rest, unleash upon me!
Wow, now we're talking, that thing has even more Razors than I originally suggested.
Only big issue I see is that you're using square extenders(probably because they're easier to rotate, I recommend the movepixel script for that instead) those are much heavier than the normal extenders and don't have any bonuses to them(if anything it looks like those break more easily as hammers for some odd reason).
I see a way to save more space if you don't mind the robot being not 100% symmetrical, basically this:

EXEXEXEXEX
        PC
        PC
        PC

instead of using a T connector, a rotated extender is used instead(I hope that works with the rotations) since those don't have a point in the middle either the left or right one is used(in this case the left one where the E should be) this means it's a bit longer to the right if placed in the middle, however that's exactly what we want so that we can place the P(Piston) and C(Co2 canister) right next to eachother and hopefully still keep the robot mostly symmetrical.

I guess you added the spike in case stuff breaks off or if the robot gets flipped upside down? I'd recommend positioning the piston in the middle so that it has the same height difference when being upside down. Pole Spikes(unlike Iron Spikes) have normals, this means that they only hit with their tip and not the entire spike.

Don't really have much to say other than you can export your bot skin template(and then create the skin in paint.net or any other image editing software) to create your own bot skins and I forgot to mention Slipperbottom wheels in my last post, they're sometimes used for bigger invertible robots. Your bot is starting to look good.
Tournament History:
Showcases:

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 08:36:14 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow, now we're talking, that thing has even more Razors than I originally suggested.
Only big issue I see is that you're using square extenders(probably because they're easier to rotate, I recommend the movepixel script for that instead) those are much heavier than the normal extenders and don't have any bonuses to them(if anything it looks like those break more easily as hammers for some odd reason).
I see a way to save more space if you don't mind the robot being not 100% symmetrical, basically this:

EXEXEXEXEX
        PC
        PC
        PC

instead of using a T connector, a rotated extender is used instead(I hope that works with the rotations) since those don't have a point in the middle either the left or right one is used(in this case the left one where the E should be) this means it's a bit longer to the right if placed in the middle, however that's exactly what we want so that we can place the P(Piston) and C(Co2 canister) right next to eachother and hopefully still keep the robot mostly symmetrical.

I guess you added the spike in case stuff breaks off or if the robot gets flipped upside down? I'd recommend positioning the piston in the middle so that it has the same height difference when being upside down. Pole Spikes(unlike Iron Spikes) have normals, this means that they only hit with their tip and not the entire spike.

Don't really have much to say other than you can export your bot skin template(and then create the skin in paint.net or any other image editing software) to create your own bot skins and I forgot to mention Slipperbottom wheels in my last post, they're sometimes used for bigger invertible robots. Your bot is starting to look good.

I understand what you mean, but i think i can take a extra block of if i tried so he would have the same width as the co2 cannister, i had no idea round exstenders could be used for this. the rotating part wasnt that hard to figure out lucky. the spike got added because i had extra weight to fill up honestly. and when i just tried it out almost every bot gets pushed up by the piston for some reason and then on the spike and kept there suspended after that i can piston away, so not too snabby. im gonna take an extra block off later today i think and see what happens with the driving & balance cuz that was a really big problem, i had to lower the casis and put the wheels and moters higher, now it runs very smooth. even better then stinger 1 ^^

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 06:34:33 PM »
Lets see what you guys think of this one:

Offline WeN

• #1 Malaysian Idiot
  • Ultra Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
  • totsugeki!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Discord: thatwenguy
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 06:48:39 PM »
Don't use pink battery on a heavyweight,

The chassis need to be smaller.

I can't think what armor it's it, Steel? DSA? Titanium?

I can't give advice wisely so I am done here.

If you want to be a good stock builder, Link to this one:
http://beetlebros.gametechmods.com/ra2techs.htm

EDIT:forget something here

I see you using Servo-Pusher, but Servo-Pusher is very weak.

Razors,Mace and Iron Spike are best weapon, you used razors and it's good.

Dont use Y-connectors.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 07:10:18 PM by WenXiangLee »

Offline Thrackerzod

• Sparkle up your day!
  • Rep: 10
  • The distant future... the year 2000...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 06:53:33 PM »
So it's like a clamp/hammer kinda thing?  That's actually a pretty cool idea.

Unfortunately, the stock servo-pusher thingies are terribly weak.  Razors are good though, good on you for using them.  You don't have to use Y-connectors to attach them though - just use two (or more) extenders side-by-side using the side attachment points and then put razors on the ends of the extenders.

Offline Onnaj

• Antweight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 07:29:59 PM »
Yup, they are weak but tbh, its enough, since most bots get stuck behind the swords anyway, dont need to clamp down for that.

The armor is the glitch, no armor.

pink battery is mostly for filling up towards 800kg. i have no idea if it influences ur battery pool at all?

the link that got shared, got most of my info there. already found it haha

The servopushers make this design actually pretty fun, because it is more then just ramming space haha.

What else should be used intead of y connects to make such branches on stock?

Before i went with sword it ried out a varity, swords seemds most effective at keeping bots away/doing dmg and using it to get bots of there balance. (getting the sword under the bot)

thanks so far guys ^^