Author Topic: Larrain's showcase in Stock.  (Read 37688 times)

Offline Larrain

• Beetleweight
  • Rep: 2
  • where's urjak
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Larrain's cringeworthy showcase in Stock.
« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2015, 06:00:50 PM »
Hey :gawe:

A while ago I thought I'd give some old ideas a shot. Here's one of those.
Finding time to waste away on this is a pain...

I have had this setup in mind for a very long time now.
It drives really well, but it needs those wheels... Shinies only seem to drive the bot straight when inverted.

There's weight for 18 razors and related extender work within the Middleweight class. I don't know what to do with it; it's out of my head and in the game now, which is enough for me.
Any thoughts?

Offline Silverfish

• The Hardest Part of Ending is Starting Again
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Welcome to the quiet before the storm hits...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2015, 10:06:47 PM »
uhhhh.... is the technique you used to tilt the wheels AGOD?
Tourney stuffs:

"We need a new way to defeat them... Something they haven't seen. Something... no one... has ever seen..."
-Gelorum, Acceleracers: Ignition

Youtube(cuz I can't use the normal link): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8zJZecbrpqiZK2eLnKLAA

Offline Sage

• Rep: 11
  • RA2 Wizard & GTM's Favorite Stock Builder 2015
  • Awards Sage's Favorite BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: October 05, 2015, 04:14:09 AM »
First time I've seen someone intentionally replicate the effects of AGOD.

If stock RA2 is an art form (as it has become) then this is the abstract picasso version
You got my vote for RA2 Wizard. Always and forever.

Offline cephalopod

« Reply #283 on: October 05, 2015, 04:17:50 AM »
That's so cool. And I'm really not a stock guy. Nice work!
bristol bot builders / two headed death flamingo / snappy robots
//
kindest and friendliest '13, '15, '16, '17 / favourite staff member '14, '15

Offline Pwnator

• Rep: 15
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • http://pwnator.tumblr.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
« Reply #284 on: October 05, 2015, 04:27:54 AM »
I actually like the setup since you actually made the spinners closer to each other while keeping invertibility. Have you found other setups with equal drive height?
Clash Cubes 1 - Grey Matter (Runner-Up)
King of Karnage - Sideshow Freak (Runner-Up, Best Engineered)
Rust In Pieces - Paper Cut 3 (Grand Champion, Most Dangerous Bot)
Wheely Tag Tournament - Ion Thruster (Grand Champion, along with Ounces' DiSemboweLment)
UK vs USA - Dark Striker (Grand Champion)
Rust In Pieces 2 - Claymore (Runner-Up, Favourite Bot)
BBEANS 6 - Infection 4 (Runner-Up)
RA2 Team Championships - Serious Business, Skeksis (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, and Badnik)
RA2 Team Championships 2 - The Other Stig (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, Badnik, 090901, and R1885)
Replica Wars 3 - Abaddon (Runner-Up, Luckiest Bot)
BroBots - wheebot & yaybot (Runner-Up)
Robo Zone 2 - Dipper (4th place, Survival Champion, & Best Axle Bot)
ARBBC - The Covenant (3rd place, BW Rumble Winner, Most Feared BW)

Offline Mr. AS

• TheGloriousCarbideArstotzkanIronsideChaosProtocol
  • Rep: 19
    • robotarenagtm
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #285 on: October 05, 2015, 09:27:46 AM »
uhhhh.... is the technique you used to tilt the wheels AGOD?

Nah I think the motors are just angled. If you look really closely you can see that the axles are at an angle, same angle as the one motor you can see. If I had to guess, I would say that the setup is two round extenders attached to each other with the side AP, and then two more extenders attached on the back of the first 2 by the side AP to hold the drive. That extender at the back probably holds the thing together.
How you make Alarm Clock Pizza is:
Step 1: You buy an alarm clock from the store, and then you have to break it and put it in the sauce.
Step 2: Fold the sauce in 5 slices and put it in the dough.
Step 3: Paint the eggs with a pitcher of a clock showing what time you want to wake up and eat pizza for breakfast.
Step 4: Put the eggs in the dough.
Step 5: Make it flat into a round shape and draw the time you want on it.
Step 6: Put some old steel to prevent other peple from stealing it.
Step 7: Make it flat and cut into 60 slices 1 for each minute in 1 our.
Step 8: Put in the oven set the timer to 30048813.2884 seconds and put the temperature on 'Volcano' setting.
Step 9: If you think it is take to long, then get yor alarm clock and set it to now so that it will ring and you can take it out.
Step 10: Take it out uv the uvin wen it is redy and go to bed. In the morning eat pizza and also eat yor hands bi mistake.

Offline Scrap Daddy

« Reply #286 on: October 05, 2015, 02:22:32 PM »
If stock RA2 is an art form (as it has become) then this is the abstract picasso version
it's beautiful.

I like the weapon motor setup, but cambered wheels might look even cooler.

Offline Larrain

• Beetleweight
  • where's urjak
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #287 on: October 12, 2015, 06:08:48 AM »
Thanks everyone :P I wasn't expecting any responses at all, pretty much. Glad some of you like it.

I personally don't really, to be honest. It might look odd and all, but I originally came up with it as an exercise on creativity a way to save weight on extender work (not that I know anything to use that weight on), to center the weapon motors together and to hopefully increase stability through symmetry (which doesn't really make sense come to think about it. On top of that it's still off-center).
Well, since shinies don't perform that well at all on it, it wastes more weight than it saves, and despite my previous statement about it maneuvering pretty well, as soon as I loaded it with weapons and spun them around, it turned into a frustrating washing machine.

I actually like the setup since you actually made the spinners closer to each other while keeping invertibility. Have you found other setups with equal drive height?
I have no idea what you mean by equal drive height D:

If I had to guess, I would say that the setup is two round extenders attached to each other with the side AP, and then two more extenders attached on the back of the first 2 by the side AP to hold the drive. That extender at the back probably holds the thing together.
You're actually kinda close. There's four extenders (not sure if you're thinking of 4 or 5) and the whole thing is split in two halves; the axle holds one hpz and one rad, and the rear ap holds the other pair. Everything else is pretty much on spot...

I quickly rebuilt it with weapon extenders in red to illustrate the idea. I'm sure it can be somehow improved, so feel free give it a shot if anybody wants to.

There's a couple of things I forgot to mention.. But might be rather obvious. There's a single black battery in there, and it has DSA.

I feel like I should add something, so, umm... I guess I'm better at coming up with random stuff than actually being competitive at anything. So I had been working on this possibly outdated idea of building something specifically aimed at popups. If I recall correctly there's such working designs in DSL but I don't think I've seen it in stock, or seen those working well against other bot types, so I wanted to come up with something on my own. Or more specifically, I just wanted to step out of my horizontally spinning comfort zone doing something new, and thought this would be a good subject.

After several failed prototypes I gave up and realized I had never actually built a popup, to begin with... How can I fight something I don't understand?

Yeah, I tried it. Right there. Probably the most generic thing in my entire showcase. I'm disappointing myself. :laughing
Two blacks, DSA, stupidly steep chassis. I screwed up and ate the entire front end in an attempt to save weight before realizing there's some empty space around the batteries. DUH.
I AI'd this one and it has trouble bringing other bots on top. Didn't even bother to test against another wedge.

And that's about it, post is getting long. I still don't understand popups!

Offline madman3

• Giga Heavyweight
  • Rep: 8
    • https://www.youtube.com/c
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #288 on: October 12, 2015, 11:04:56 AM »
popups are this weird entity where you want as simplistic a setup as possible and normally a kinda large chassis for width and stability's sake.

Main issue besides the steep wedge for this one is the bevels at the front that are going to get your bot too easily battered by a HS. But I guess it's mostly a chassis space-practice build so that doesn't necessarily matter.

Offline Sage

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #289 on: October 12, 2015, 01:55:12 PM »
whyyyyyyy is it angled so weird

every bot you make spits in the face of symmetry

Offline kill343gs

« Reply #290 on: October 13, 2015, 09:46:31 AM »
Screw symmetry, just make the front angle a little more shallow and you should be good,

For once the mods did something right
#MakeGTMGreatAgain

Offline Larrain

• Beetleweight
  • where's urjak
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #291 on: October 24, 2015, 05:27:42 AM »
Thank you for commenting. I appreciate it.

popups are this weird entity where (...)
That makes sense, yeah. Hadn't realized the bevels could be detrimental. You gave me a couple of ideas basically rendering my recent couple of rebuilds outdated already, haha. Thanks!
Practice build? Building the chassis tight enough was pain but it didn't really make me any better at it... Just more committed.

every bot you make spits in the face of symmetry
Eh, not true. Take a look at my earlier showcased bots if you feel like it (friendly reminder there's a reason I changed the title though :P).
Sure, they're not perfectly mirrored but at least I used to care about it. It's just now I don't.

Screw symmetry, just make the front angle a little more shallow and you should be good,
Haha alright! I think I'll have to ditch the wedge DDT though, it's been impossible so far to improve the shape with that thing filling up space.

-

A few days ago I had a bunch of free time so I reviewed the bots I planned to showcase, and realized I don't really want to do so anymore...
That's the actual reason I decided to go ahead.

These things right here are the 2nd and 7th iteration of a series I temporarily named compactspinner, even though they no longer fit the name or look like each other :P
They perform rather well... Tested on Starcore v4 alpha 2 and Pys AI I think. These are the most stable lightweights I've built this year but still manage to flip themselves from time to time.
DSA, single battery on each, neither is invertible. [Edit: second one has the weapon motors angled forwards for a lower reach in front... dunno)
Yes, the weights don't line up vertically and that bothers me; too lazy to fix it.

I have no idea what to do next on these so any comments are welcome, friendly or not :)

Offline Hercules

• Heavyweight
  • Rep: 1
  • The Argentinian member that loves chicken
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: November 05, 2015, 08:15:32 PM »
Just dont anter any of those to ironbot  :gawe:

Click us!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Silverfish

• The Hardest Part of Ending is Starting Again
  • Super Heavyweight
  • Rep: 3
  • Welcome to the quiet before the storm hits...
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #293 on: November 05, 2015, 09:01:43 PM »
looks like something i would build. :P
Tourney stuffs:

"We need a new way to defeat them... Something they haven't seen. Something... no one... has ever seen..."
-Gelorum, Acceleracers: Ignition

Youtube(cuz I can't use the normal link): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8zJZecbrpqiZK2eLnKLAA

Offline Sage

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #294 on: November 05, 2015, 10:48:39 PM »
Well your chassis management and stacking and glitching are all becoming top notch. I think I'll just call you Picasso from now on

Offline Larrain

• Beetleweight
  • where's urjak
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: December 03, 2015, 01:57:48 PM »
Hello. I'll try not to type too much this time.

Well your chassis management and stacking and glitching are all becoming top notch. I think I'll just call you Picasso from now on
Well I guess I've been spending too much time practicing this stuff :P thank you.
It feels weird to be called Picasso... He's someone I often look up to, not quite for his art, but for his approach to it, and the way it merged with himself. I know what you mean though.

-

Still trying to blow four years worth of dust off this thing... I feel I've accomplished nothing so far.
A slight rebuild of that shapeless, double-ztek thing above has pretty much beaten every LW I tossed at it (except for SnS) and that's pretty much my only achievement, so I've decided to push myself with stuff I've never tried, within the LW class. Any thoughts on this? I'm currently stuck 15 rebuilds into a hammer that just keeps getting worse, as if I picked the wrong road.

In the meantime, I'll post this update. It's been sitting there since my last post.

(edit: wedge is still on a DDT)

Offline Sage

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #296 on: December 04, 2015, 01:04:10 PM »
I like that design a lot, although the wedge is probably a bit steep still.

Offline Larrain

• Beetleweight
  • where's urjak
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #297 on: July 08, 2016, 09:37:50 PM »
Hey :gawe:

I forgot I was even doing this thing to be honest and probably won't come back to it for another while, but I likely will, sometime, if anyone's ever been interested.

In the meantime I'll put up the latest file in my screenshots folder. I only remember it was barely decent and tipped over easily. Probably had irons.

All feedback is appreciated! Including the post above, thank you.

Offline Pwnator

• Rep: 15
  • Awards BOTM Winner
    • View Profile
    • http://pwnator.tumblr.com
    • Awards
  • See profile for gamer tags: Yes
Re: Larrain's showcase in Stock.
« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2016, 12:04:12 AM »
Cool stack. Would be better off with just a Snapper2 since it's a LW anyway. You could probably make the wedge longer and maybe extend the rear part of the chassis.
Clash Cubes 1 - Grey Matter (Runner-Up)
King of Karnage - Sideshow Freak (Runner-Up, Best Engineered)
Rust In Pieces - Paper Cut 3 (Grand Champion, Most Dangerous Bot)
Wheely Tag Tournament - Ion Thruster (Grand Champion, along with Ounces' DiSemboweLment)
UK vs USA - Dark Striker (Grand Champion)
Rust In Pieces 2 - Claymore (Runner-Up, Favourite Bot)
BBEANS 6 - Infection 4 (Runner-Up)
RA2 Team Championships - Serious Business, Skeksis (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, and Badnik)
RA2 Team Championships 2 - The Other Stig (Runner-Up, along with Scrappy, S_M, Badnik, 090901, and R1885)
Replica Wars 3 - Abaddon (Runner-Up, Luckiest Bot)
BroBots - wheebot & yaybot (Runner-Up)
Robo Zone 2 - Dipper (4th place, Survival Champion, & Best Axle Bot)
ARBBC - The Covenant (3rd place, BW Rumble Winner, Most Feared BW)

Offline Larrain

• Beetleweight
  • where's urjak
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Larrain's showcase in Stock.
« Reply #299 on: September 14, 2016, 02:37:43 AM »
Am I stuck in the past?

I felt like just popping back in and posting more old stuff. Here is a random single-snapper 36HS setup idea, meant to stand sideways. Died to AGOD.

Cool stack. Would be better off with just a Snapper2 since it's a LW anyway. You could probably make the wedge longer and maybe extend the rear part of the chassis.
Thank you. Guess you're right about the snapper... That's some pretty poor judgement from me.
Gonna try your suggestions and post back sometime soon.